|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a good place to experiment and a place to try out new plants and techniques without having to risk a lot?
(a) Scientific lab.
(c) Flower pot.
2. ____________ were the ones who seized land from the Irish, causing them to have meager plots of arable land on which to grow.
(d) English Celts.
3. Pigeons are associated with the discovery of ______ because of their spacing out behavior after eating the seeds.
4. What kind of storm took place in December of 1999, causing the gardens of Versailles to be ruined?
(a) Snow storm.
5. When the ___________ harvest failed in England in 1794, it seems that the poor were not going to be able to buy the bread they needed.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ was what some people in England used to call the potato, which continued its separation from their diet.
2. The new potato called "NewLeaf" has been genetically engineered in order to produce its own ______________.
3. Some of the farmers who grow potatoes are happy with Monsanto since this means they can skip a few _________, which saves them money.
4. Until the mid-1970s, most of the marijuana in America was grown in _______ and was often sprayed with a pesticide paraquat.
5. _______ became a new capital for marijuana cultivation during the American drug war of the nineties.
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the tastes of plants which are supposed to be eaten with those which are not supposed to be eaten.
2. What are some of the intoxicants and ingredients for intoxicants which Pollan admits to growing in his garden now?
3. Where was marijuana primarily grown up until the early 1980s when the war on drugs began?
4. How does one begin to grow potatoes, according to Pollan in the book?
5. What are some of the reasons why potatoes were not very popular in Europe around the late 1500s?
6. What does Pollan begin to realize after the powerful storm that ruined a part of the famous gardens of Versailles?
7. Describe the NewLeaf potatoes that Pollan took in order to grow at his garden.
8. What did Heath have to say about Pollan's question about pest resistance to the chemicals the potatoes are designed to produce?
9. After a few days of drenching rain, what did the NewLeaf potato plants look like in Pollan's garden?
10. Describe the experience Pollan had when the police almost found his large marijuana plants in his backyard?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)