|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The French romantics were said to have experimented with ________ after Napoleon's troops brought it back with them from Egypt.
2. What is the name of the company which makes the genetically modified potato called "NewLeaf"?
(a) Whole Foods.
3. The new potato called "NewLeaf" has been genetically engineered in order to produce its own ______________.
4. _______ is an annual convention and harvest fair sponsored by High Times Magazine that attracts many growers.
(a) The Cannabis Chalice.
(b) The Cannabis Challenge.
(c) The Cannabis Cup.
(d) The Cannabis Contest.
5. A growing technique which requires few tools and and a minimal amount of labor is called a ___________.
(a) Lazy bed.
(b) Sleepy bed.
(c) True bed.
(d) Easy bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dave Hjelle from Monstanto tells Pollan something that makes him a little concerned. He says, "______________."
2. Pigeons are associated with the discovery of ______ because of their spacing out behavior after eating the seeds.
3. Genetic ____________ is the catchall term used to describe the various unexpected effects that misplaced or unregulated foreign genes can have in an environment.
4. When the ___________ harvest failed in England in 1794, it seems that the poor were not going to be able to buy the bread they needed.
5. What sort of potato was developed by the Incan people and just one of the many potatoes which used to grow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the Great Potato Famine and the many deaths over the area of Europe?
2. Describe the NewLeaf potatoes that Pollan took in order to grow at his garden.
3. How does Heath avoid the purchases of many inputs on his farm so that he can save money?
4. Describe the experience Pollan had when the police almost found his large marijuana plants in his backyard?
5. What is the most important thing to an animal's survival, according to the discussion of plants?
6. Why are cats so drawn to catnip, according to the research that Pollan does after seeing how his cat response to using this herb?
7. How does one begin to grow potatoes, according to Pollan in the book?
8. Where was marijuana primarily grown up until the early 1980s when the war on drugs began?
9. Why were the Irish open to farming the potato in order to provide food for themselves?
10. What does Pollan begin to realize after the powerful storm that ruined a part of the famous gardens of Versailles?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)