|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The book suggests that deep down, many gardeners see themselves as ________ transforming compost, water, and light into beauty.
2. Farmers who plant Bt crops must leave a certain portion of their land for non-Bt crops to provide a ________ for the bugs.
3. The weedy _________ potatoes on the edges of Andean farms caused changes in the strains of potatoes which would grow.
4. Antheleme Brillat-Savarin noted, "Tell me what you _______ and I will tell you what you are."
5. A growing technique which requires few tools and and a minimal amount of labor is called a ___________.
(a) True bed.
(b) Sleepy bed.
(c) Easy bed.
(d) Lazy bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Psychoactive drugs serve as bridges between the worlds of matter and spirit, or in modern language _______and consciousness.
2. Some of the farmers who grow potatoes are happy with Monsanto since this means they can skip a few _________, which saves them money.
3. Pollan believes that the idea of planting and of growing plants causes humans to be filled with a sense of _________.
4. Pollan says that he would call the images of nature and of growing to be the Agricultural ___________, if he did not think it sounded like too much of an oxymoron.
5. What is a good place to experiment and a place to try out new plants and techniques without having to risk a lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the experience Pollan had when the police almost found his large marijuana plants in his backyard?
2. What causes the Great Potato Famine and the many deaths over the area of Europe?
3. After a few days of drenching rain, what did the NewLeaf potato plants look like in Pollan's garden?
4. What did Heath have to say about Pollan's question about pest resistance to the chemicals the potatoes are designed to produce?
5. Why are cats so drawn to catnip, according to the research that Pollan does after seeing how his cat response to using this herb?
6. What might have happened if the police chief had seen the marijuana plant in Pollan's backyard?
7. As the various lands in Europe began to rely on the potato, what were the positive benefits of this situation?
8. What are some of the reasons why potatoes were not very popular in Europe around the late 1500s?
9. Why were the Irish open to farming the potato in order to provide food for themselves?
10. What are some of the intoxicants and ingredients for intoxicants which Pollan admits to growing in his garden now?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)