|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who took to wearing potato flowers in her hair in order to encourage the peasants to grow this plant for themselves?
(a) Catherine the Great.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) No one.
(d) Anne Tyler.
2. _______ is an annual convention and harvest fair sponsored by High Times Magazine that attracts many growers.
(a) The Cannabis Challenge.
(b) The Cannabis Chalice.
(c) The Cannabis Contest.
(d) The Cannabis Cup.
3. The book states that although marijuana cultivation is driven to some extent by money, the underlying principle is that of ______.
4. A _______ is one that is used for getting cuttings. Like the apples, the result of the impact of this may be detrimental to the species.
(a) Father plant.
(b) Mother plant.
(c) Brother plant.
(d) Sister plant.
5. Dave Hjelle from Monstanto tells Pollan something that makes him a little concerned. He says, "______________."
(a) It's problematic.
(b) No problem.
(c) Trust us.
(d) I'm worried too.
Short Answer Questions
1. Darwin in his original book about the origin of species was adamant that man does not introduce or produce _____________.
2. According to the book, some of the most bitter and "bad" plants are the ones that contain the most powerful _______.
3. When the ___________ harvest failed in England in 1794, it seems that the poor were not going to be able to buy the bread they needed.
4. Some of the ways children have been known to seek this altered state of consciousness include all of the following except______.
5. In the book, Pollan was almost caught by the police for growing a couple of ______ plants on his property.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was going on at the time of Pollan's visit to Amsterdam for research for this book?
2. What does genetic engineering promise to do for the crops which are growing with these modifications?
3. What did Heath have to say about Pollan's question about pest resistance to the chemicals the potatoes are designed to produce?
4. What are the various ingredients which might be used in witches' spells?
5. Why are cats so drawn to catnip, according to the research that Pollan does after seeing how his cat response to using this herb?
6. What are some of the possible genetically modified food advances people might see in the future, according to Pollan?
7. How does Heath avoid the purchases of many inputs on his farm so that he can save money?
8. What parts of the marijuana plant are supposed to be smoked?
9. What has been the recurrent theme about plants which are forbidden by others? What are they supposed to provide?
10. What are some of the intoxicants and ingredients for intoxicants which Pollan admits to growing in his garden now?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)