|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Antheleme Brillat-Savarin noted, "Tell me what you _______ and I will tell you what you are."
2. Darwin in his original book about the origin of species was adamant that man does not introduce or produce _____________.
(b) The same breed.
(d) Genetically modified plants.
3. _______ is an annual convention and harvest fair sponsored by High Times Magazine that attracts many growers.
(a) The Cannabis Challenge.
(b) The Cannabis Chalice.
(c) The Cannabis Cup.
(d) The Cannabis Contest.
4. In the book, Pollan was almost caught by the police for growing a couple of ______ plants on his property.
(a) Morning glory.
5. The _________ in the potato is what causes it to produce its own pest killing chemicals, keeping other chemicals from being necessary.
6. ____________ were the ones who seized land from the Irish, causing them to have meager plots of arable land on which to grow.
(b) English Celts.
7. Into what kind of plant have plant breeders inserted a gene from a firefly, making the plants glow, although for no apparent reason, according to Pollan?
8. ________, Pollan says, is the theme which unifies the questions being raised in agricultural biotechnology.
9. Pollan suggests that drugs have both positive and negative qualities. The wine of _______ was both a scourge and a blessing.
10. Potatoes today are descended from the center of _________ in the Andean altiplano, where wild ancestors grew them.
(a) Plain land.
11. Psychoactive drugs serve as bridges between the worlds of matter and spirit, or in modern language _______and consciousness.
12. Goats are associated with the discovery of _____, when it was observed they became frisky after eating the red berries.
13. The book suggests that gardens used to be planted as a kind of living _____ that cared little for aesthetics.
(a) Art form.
(c) Display of beauty.
14. __________ was what some people in England used to call the potato, which continued its separation from their diet.
(a) Bread root.
(b) Root meal.
(c) Dirt root.
(d) Bread pudding.
15. The book states that although marijuana cultivation is driven to some extent by money, the underlying principle is that of ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Pollan opened up the package to grow the NewLeaf potatoes, the card stated that he was now ________ to grow the potatoes.
2. What is a good place to experiment and a place to try out new plants and techniques without having to risk a lot?
3. Pigeons are associated with the discovery of ______ because of their spacing out behavior after eating the seeds.
4. Pollan suggests that on a biochemical level, psychoactive plants affect the brain much the way that the following activities except ______ affect it.
5. A _______ is one that is used for getting cuttings. Like the apples, the result of the impact of this may be detrimental to the species.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)