|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flowers are unable to choose ______ and therefore must rely on extravagant displays to attract insects.
2. The tulip that Pollan has on his desk, a Queen of Night, has no ______, which he indicates is because it is meant to be visual.
3. The apple does not breed simply from seed. Thus all trees that produce the same type of apples are _______ of the original tree.
4. The apple is presented in this book as strongly appealing to humanity's desire for _______.
(a) The perfect fruit.
5. Before flowers, sexual reproduction consisted of _____ being dispersed by the wind to be caught by other plants.
6. The fact that apple seeds do not produce a similar apple as the tree they came from is scientifically called ______.
7. The plants that form flowers and encased seeds began to emerge on the earth during the _______ period.
8. Teaching men how to ferment the juice of the grape, ______ had brought civilization the gift of wine.
9. Johnny Appleseed was famous or infamous for wearing a _______ around wherever he went.
(a) Coffee sack.
(b) Wool coat.
(d) Pair of overalls.
10. According to the book, the tulip is said to have the consciousness of _______, evoking clarity and order.
11. The "broken tulip" was eventually found to be caused by ______ which was discovered with the invention of the electron microscope.
(a) A frost.
(b) A virus.
(c) A mold.
(d) A bacterium.
12. Pollan asserts that even though daffodils came early in the season, _______ is not a true color for a child.
13. Johnny Appleseed raised ______ for sale and subsequent transplantation.
(a) Apple seeds.
(b) Apple trees.
(c) Apple cuttings.
(d) Apple clones.
14. Petals curving inward to hide its sexual organs, the tulip is ______ among flowers, and somewhat aloof.
(b) An introvert.
(c) An extrovert.
(d) A show-off.
15. According to the book, the word _____ is a corruption of the Turkish word for Turban.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fortius, a professor, could be seen patrolling the streets of the city, ______ any tulip that he encountered.
2. Appleseed was able to compete with other apple cultivar sales because his trees were ______.
3. Johnny Appleseed is generally acknowledged as having planted _______ of apple seeds across a wide range of orchards.
4. Chapman was known to go _______ in all kinds of weather and took it as a matter of pride in his toughness.
5. During the lifetime of Johnny Appleseed, Ohio law required a settler to put out ___ apple or pear trees in order to get a land grant.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)