|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clusius brought tulips with him to Leiden garden where they eventually ______ due to their rareness.
(a) Were sold.
(c) Were given as gifts.
(d) Were stolen.
2. ________ was an American Pioneer and introduced the apple in the Midwestern United States.
(a) William Jones.
(b) John Chapman.
(c) Phil Forsline.
(d) John Calhoun.
3. _______ is a social ritual of sanctioned craziness and release. It is a way for the community to temporarily indulge its Dionysian urges.
(a) A mass.
(b) A birthday.
(c) A feast.
(d) A carnival.
4. When a buyer of tulips finished the sale, they were required to pay "wijnkoopsgeld" or ______ money.
5. Flowers have been given the ability to attract other species using a variety of senses except ______.
6. In 1812, Chapman ran thirty miles to warn settlers of the approach of troops, a feat known as _______.
(a) The thirty mile run.
(b) The apple run.
(c) The coffee sack run.
(d) The barefoot run.
7. The number of leaves that are only a tulip are typically _______. With the "turban" top, this gives them the suggesting of a human body.
8. Chapman stated that he was promised "a true wife in heaven" and thus he never ______.
(b) Lived at home.
(c) Had relationships.
(d) Spoke to women.
9. The book states that almost all cultures around the world love flowers with the notable exception of _______.
10. Chapman planted 'Johnny weed' because he thought that it would prevent the contraction of ______.
11. Since Appleseed raised his trees from seed, most of the fruit was not suitable for _______.
(c) Making cider.
12. Chapman was credited for introducing 'Johnny weed' or ________, to the state of Ohio.
(a) Sweet fennel.
(b) Stinking fennel.
13. Johnny Appleseed is generally acknowledged as having planted _______ of apple seeds across a wide range of orchards.
(c) Tens of thousands.
(d) Hundreds of thousands.
14. The plants that have contributed to the shaping of human existence include all of the following except _______.
15. Part of the Americanization of the apple had to do with the character of Johnny Appleseed whose real name was ______.
(a) John Calhoun.
(b) John Chapman.
(c) William Jones.
(d) Phil Forsline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph Waldo Emerson, who knew a thing or two about natural history, called the apple, _______
2. The color of a tulip is always composed of _____ hues one of which is a base color that is always yellow or white.
3. The book states that before the evolution of flowers, life existed in a much _______ world.
4. According to the book, the word _____ is a corruption of the Turkish word for Turban.
5. Johnny Appleseed raised ______ for sale and subsequent transplantation.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)