|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clusius brought tulips with him to Leiden garden where they eventually ______ due to their rareness.
(b) Were stolen.
(c) Were sold.
(d) Were given as gifts.
2. ______ orchard has become a kind of museum for several different apple species dedicated to maintaining the diversity.
3. When a buyer of tulips finished the sale, they were required to pay "wijnkoopsgeld" or ______ money.
4. The book suggests that Herbert's view of tulipmania is a parable of utopianism, specifically _______.
5. Flowers are unable to choose ______ and therefore must rely on extravagant displays to attract insects.
6. The book states that certain flowers are reminiscent of Greek Gods. The rose and the peony are stated to be flowers of ______.
7. Appleseed was able to compete with other apple cultivar sales because his trees were ______.
(a) High quality.
(b) Low quality.
(c) Easily accessible.
8. Before flowers, sexual reproduction consisted of _____ being dispersed by the wind to be caught by other plants.
9. The apple was first introduced to North America with the initial waves of the ______ immigration.
(d) Middle Eastern.
10. The book states that before flowers there was no connection between the way things looked and ______.
(c) Their function.
11. The number of leaves that are only a tulip are typically _______. With the "turban" top, this gives them the suggesting of a human body.
12. The apple does not breed simply from seed. Thus all trees that produce the same type of apples are _______ of the original tree.
13. Flowers have been given the ability to attract other species using a variety of senses except ______.
14. Almost all apples grown for eating are cultivars, meaning that they are ______.
(b) Special seeds.
(c) Planted into the soil.
(d) Hydroponically grown.
15. According to the book, the plants that form flowers and then encased seeds are known as ______.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny Appleseed was known to use a _________ in order to transport his seeds across the water.
2. The book states that the potato plant was stolen from the royal gardens of ______.
3. According to the book, there are ______ plants that have shaped human existence at least as much as human's have affected these plants.
4. Part of the Americanization of the apple had to do with the character of Johnny Appleseed whose real name was ______.
5. _______ is the tulip grower's term for the phenomenon that causes certain flowers in a field to revert to the form and color of their parent.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)