|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The apple does not breed simply from seed. Thus all trees that produce the same type of apples are _______ of the original tree.
2. Chapman is known to have floated one hundred miles down the Allegheny river on _______, fast asleep.
(a) A raft.
(b) A block of ice.
(c) A log.
(d) A canoe.
3. The book states that the potato plant was stolen from the royal gardens of ______.
(a) Louis X.
(b) Louis V.
(c) Louis IV.
(d) Louis XVI.
4. Ralph Waldo Emerson, who knew a thing or two about natural history, called the apple, _______
(a) A feeling of home.
(b) The American fruit.
(c) The Canadian fruit.
(d) The best treat.
5. According to the book, the plants that form flowers and then encased seeds are known as ______.
6. Johnny Appleseed is generally acknowledged as having planted _______ of apple seeds across a wide range of orchards.
(a) Hundreds of thousands.
(c) Tens of thousands.
7. Since Appleseed raised his trees from seed, most of the fruit was not suitable for _______.
(c) Making cider.
8. According to the book, species tulips in Turkey typically come in ______ and less commonly in white or yellow.
9. Before flowers, sexual reproduction consisted of _____ being dispersed by the wind to be caught by other plants.
10. ______ is a sign of health in creatures since mutations and disease can easily disrupt it.
11. ________ was an American Pioneer and introduced the apple in the Midwestern United States.
(a) John Chapman.
(b) William Jones.
(c) Phil Forsline.
(d) John Calhoun.
12. Chapman was known to go _______ in all kinds of weather and took it as a matter of pride in his toughness.
(a) Without a coat.
(b) Without his hat.
13. According to the book, the tulip is said to have the consciousness of _______, evoking clarity and order.
14. The fact that apple seeds do not produce a similar apple as the tree they came from is scientifically called ______.
15. The _____ was linked to the corruption of the Catholic church, while the apple was linked with wholesome Protestantism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Johnny Appleseed was known to use a _________ in order to transport his seeds across the water.
2. The concept of the apple being a healthy and wholesome fruit was dreamed up to fight the negative image from ______.
3. Johnny Appleseed was famous or infamous for wearing a _______ around wherever he went.
4. Johnny Appleseed was opposed to using _____ in order to grow trees and preferred planting seeds.
5. _______ or 'white lightning' preceded hard cider as the alcohol containing drink of choice on the frontier.
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)