|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______ orchard has become a kind of museum for several different apple species dedicated to maintaining the diversity.
2. _______ or 'white lightning' preceded hard cider as the alcohol containing drink of choice on the frontier.
(a) Potato liquor.
(c) Corn liquor.
(d) Potato vodka.
3. The book states that Johnny Appleseed died in 1845 in _______ Indiana.
(b) Ft. Wayne.
4. During the lifetime of Johnny Appleseed, Ohio law required a settler to put out ___ apple or pear trees in order to get a land grant.
5. ______ is the most widely cultivated fruit and has been put into religious stories including that of Adam and Eve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapman stated that he was promised "a true wife in heaven" and thus he never ______.
2. The apple was first introduced to North America with the initial waves of the ______ immigration.
3. Teaching men how to ferment the juice of the grape, ______ had brought civilization the gift of wine.
4. The apple is presented in this book as strongly appealing to humanity's desire for _______.
5. Part of the Americanization of the apple had to do with the character of Johnny Appleseed whose real name was ______.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)