|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Michael Pollen compares Chapman to the Greek mythological figures _______.
2. Part of the Americanization of the apple had to do with the character of Johnny Appleseed whose real name was ______.
(a) Phil Forsline.
(b) John Chapman.
(c) William Jones.
(d) John Calhoun.
3. ______ orchard has become a kind of museum for several different apple species dedicated to maintaining the diversity.
4. Teaching men how to ferment the juice of the grape, ______ had brought civilization the gift of wine.
5. In 1812, Chapman ran thirty miles to warn settlers of the approach of troops, a feat known as _______.
(a) The thirty mile run.
(b) The coffee sack run.
(c) The barefoot run.
(d) The apple run.
Short Answer Questions
1. Almost all apples grown for eating are cultivars, meaning that they are ______.
2. ______ is the most widely cultivated fruit and has been put into religious stories including that of Adam and Eve.
3. The apple does not breed simply from seed. Thus all trees that produce the same type of apples are _______ of the original tree.
4. Chapman planted 'Johnny weed' because he thought that it would prevent the contraction of ______.
5. Chapman stated that he was promised "a true wife in heaven" and thus he never ______.
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)