|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Native Americans that knew Chapman considered him to be a brilliant woodsman and ______.
(d) Medicine man.
2. Chapman was credited for introducing 'Johnny weed' or ________, to the state of Ohio.
(a) Sweet fennel.
(b) Stinking fennel.
3. Ralph Waldo Emerson, who knew a thing or two about natural history, called the apple, _______
(a) A feeling of home.
(b) The best treat.
(c) The American fruit.
(d) The Canadian fruit.
4. Chapman stated that he was promised "a true wife in heaven" and thus he never ______.
(a) Lived at home.
(c) Spoke to women.
(d) Had relationships.
5. Johnny Appleseed was famous or infamous for wearing a _______ around wherever he went.
(a) Coffee sack.
(b) Wool coat.
(c) Pair of overalls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapman practiced the faith of ______ and was known to launch into sermons when visiting.
2. The concept of the apple being a healthy and wholesome fruit was dreamed up to fight the negative image from ______.
3. ______, which contains a much higher amount of alcohol than hard cider, could be obtained through freezing.
4. In the book, Johnny Appleseed was called a benign _________ of the American Fronteir.
5. _______ or 'white lightning' preceded hard cider as the alcohol containing drink of choice on the frontier.
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)