|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pollan asserts that Jews and Christians discouraged devotion to flowers because it was a threat to _______.
2. The book suggests that Herbert's view of tulipmania is a parable of utopianism, specifically _______.
3. Clusius brought tulips with him to Leiden garden where they eventually ______ due to their rareness.
(a) Were stolen.
(c) Were sold.
(d) Were given as gifts.
4. According to the book, the word _____ is a corruption of the Turkish word for Turban.
5. Almost all apples grown for eating are cultivars, meaning that they are ______.
(a) Planted into the soil.
(b) Hydroponically grown.
(d) Special seeds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Apple trees are able to reproduce _______ which helps to facilitate their ability to be grafted to a root stock.
2. During the lifetime of Johnny Appleseed, Ohio law required a settler to put out ___ apple or pear trees in order to get a land grant.
3. The early colonists to America in addition to bringing grafts also brought apple seeds to plant called ______.
4. The book states that certain flowers are reminiscent of Greek Gods. The rose and the peony are stated to be flowers of ______.
5. Teaching men how to ferment the juice of the grape, ______ had brought civilization the gift of wine.
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)