• Four plants have shaped human evolution, according to Pollan.
• Pollan talks about the evolution of the apple over time.
• The apple is presented as strongly appealing to humanity's desire for sweetness.
• The apple does not breed from true seed.
• The tulip as about 100 species in genus Tulipa.
• The tulip presented as strongly appealing to humanity's desire for beauty.
• The author believes most flowers are essentially feminine.
• The appeal of the Tulip lead to a Tulipomania.
• Marijuana is derived from two species. They are Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica.
• Marijuana has replaced the apple as society's forbidden fruit.
• Marijuana is said to be a Dionysian plant as it causes intoxication.
• The idea of marijuana and other psychoactive plants being used to open up consciousness is addressed.
• The history of the potato is discussed in this chapter.
• The Great Potato Famine is described in detail.
This section contains 184 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)