|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Call From Ali", why does Mansur say he doesn't have time for a social life?
2. How does Leila's family describe her cooking?
3. What does Bibi Gul do after taking her bath in "The Smell of Dust"?
4. When is the Afghani new year celebrated?
5. In "Can God Die", who does Fazil talk to about his teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sultan hire the carpenter for his shop?
2. How does Mansur get to travel to Mazar-i-Sharif?
3. What happens to Fazil after being sent away from Sultan's apartment?
4. What job is Leila responsible for at Sultan's apartment?
5. How does Mansur feel at the beginning of "The Call From Ali"?
6. What happens when Leila takes a class in "An Attempt"?
7. What happens to Leila when Mariam's son is sent away from Sultan's apartment?
8. What happens when Leila visits her sister in "An Attempt"?
9. In "An Attempt", what is Sonya's biggest concern?
10. In "My Mother Osama", what is Tajmir's role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Sharifa and Sonya. How does this relationship affect each person?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use dialogue to reveal political tensions? Is this more effective than directly stating the current events? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use poetry, letters and other text in "The Bookseller of Kabul"? Is this an effective technique? Why or why not?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)