|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Padsha Khan described in "My Mother Osama"?
2. In "A Broken Heart", what does Karim send Leila with a letter?
3. How many suitors did Leila have prior to Karim?
4. Who ends up getting arrested for the carpenter's crime in "The Carpenter"?
5. Where do Bob and Tajmir go after interviewing Kamal Khan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "An Attempt", what is Sonya's biggest concern?
2. What happens when Sharifa returns in "The Smell of Dust"?
3. Why does Sultan hire the carpenter for his shop?
4. What happens when Leila visits her sister in "An Attempt"?
5. In "The Dreary Room", what is an average day like for Aimal?
6. What happens when Karim tries to begin marriage negotiations with Leila?
7. How does Leila feel about staying at Sultan's apartment?
8. What job is Leila responsible for at Sultan's apartment?
9. In "My Mother Osama", what is Tajmir's role?
10. Why does the carpenter steal from Sultan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are burkas symbolic in this book? Trace their history throughout "The Bookseller of Kabul".
Essay Topic 2
How does the author represent the different social classes in this book? How do descriptions help the reader determine social class? What role do these classes play in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two women in "The Bookseller of Kabul". What reasons are there for the differences between them? How could this help women in Kabul?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)