|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kamal Khan?
2. When Mansur invites Karim for dinner, why doesn't he see Leila?
3. Why does Mariam want Fazil in school?
4. Why is Leila still up at midnight in "The Smell of Dust"?
5. What do the tanks look like that Mansur passes in "The Call From Ali"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "My Mother Osama", what is Tajmir's role?
2. What happens when Leila takes a class in "An Attempt"?
3. How is the carpenter punished for stealing?
4. What happens when Karim tries to begin marriage negotiations with Leila?
5. In "An Attempt", what is Sonya's biggest concern?
6. What does Leila find attractive about Karim?
7. What happens to Leila when Mariam's son is sent away from Sultan's apartment?
8. What happens to Fazil after being sent away from Sultan's apartment?
9. What happens when Leila visits her sister in "An Attempt"?
10. What does Mansur do while visiting the blue mosque?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of books in "The Bookseller of Kabul". How do they serve as a motif?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use dialogue to reveal political tensions? Is this more effective than directly stating the current events? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the treatment of women in this book. Explore the reasons behind the way they are treated, as well as the affects and results.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)