|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharifa bring with her when she returns to Sultan's apartment?
2. How does Mansur feel at the end of "The Call From Ali"?
3. Who did Mariam marry after her husband's death?
4. What do the tanks look like that Mansur passes in "The Call From Ali"?
5. How does Mustafa feel about the Khan clan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Karim court Leila?
2. Why does Bob talk with the Padsha Khan?
3. Why does Sultan hire the carpenter for his shop?
4. How is the carpenter punished for stealing?
5. How does Leila feel about staying at Sultan's apartment?
6. In "The Call From Ali", what are Mansur's plans for the new year?
7. What do Bob and Tajmir do in Khost?
8. Why does the carpenter steal from Sultan?
9. In "Can God Die", what does Fazil do before going to bed?
10. What happens when Karim tries to begin marriage negotiations with Leila?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the plot structure of this book. What type of arc does it follow? Is there a conflict? Is there a resolution?
Essay Topic 2
How do the historical events in this book affect Sultan? How do they affect the development of the other people and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how the author uses descriptions of exterior locations vs. interior locations. How does defining these spaces differently affect the places, characters and plot of this book?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)