|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sultan say he moved his family to Pakistan?
2. Why doesn't Sultan buy the textbooks from a foreign publisher in "The Business Trip"?
3. Why is Saliqa beaten?
4. In "Wedding", what does Shakila fear will ruin her hairdo?
5. How do the women discuss Saliqa's beating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sultan marries Sharifa?
2. Why does the burka come up in Shakila's relationship with Wakil?
3. What is Shakila's life like at school?
4. What does Sultan do when he finally reaches Pakistan?
5. Why does Sultan visit Lahore in "The Business Trip"?
6. What are some of the things that the Taliban banned in 1996?
7. How does the burka affect Shakila's society?
8. What problems does Belqisa cause in "The Business Trip"?
9. What is Shakila doing in "Billowing, Winding, Fluttering"?
10. Why does Bibi Gul receive a piece of cloth after Wakil's wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the clash between the east and the west in "The Bookseller of Kabul".
Essay Topic 2
How are burkas symbolic in this book? Trace their history throughout "The Bookseller of Kabul".
Essay Topic 3
How does the author represent the different social classes in this book? How do descriptions help the reader determine social class? What role do these classes play in the book?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)