|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Wedding", how must Shakila act toward her mother-in-law?
2. What are Shakila and Wakil covered with during their wedding ceremony?
3. How many rooms are in Sultan's apartment in "The Matriarch"?
4. How does Sultan dress while traveling in "The Business Trip"?
5. Where does "Billowing, Fluttering, Winding" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Jamila?
2. What story about Saliqa is told in "Suicide and Song"?
3. What traditions are followed at Shakila's wedding?
4. What makes Bulbula difficult to marry?
5. What is Shakila's life like at school?
6. What does Sharifa do in Peshawar?
7. What does the bazaar look like in "Billowing, Fluttering, Winding"?
8. How does Shakila's family prepare for her wedding in "Wedding"?
9. How does the burka affect Shakila's society?
10. What do the women in Peshawar talk about in "Crime and Punishment"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of freedom. Consider personal freedoms as well as political.
Essay Topic 2
How are burkas symbolic in this book? Trace their history throughout "The Bookseller of Kabul".
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the relationship between two countries that appear in "The Bookseller of Kabul".
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)