|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sultan apply for visas to in 2001?
2. How did a man visit Jamila while she was with her brother-in-law?
3. Why is Sultan able to have books printed in "The Business Trip"?
4. What does Shakila ask Wakil about working at their engagement party?
5. What does Shakila do after being painted with henna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What traditions are followed at Shakila's wedding?
2. In "The Matriarch", what is Sultan's apartment like?
3. What happened to Jamila?
4. What does Sultan do when he finally reaches Pakistan?
5. What do the women in Peshawar talk about in "Crime and Punishment"?
6. What does the bazaar look like in "Billowing, Fluttering, Winding"?
7. Why does Sultan visit Lahore in "The Business Trip"?
8. Why does the burka come up in Shakila's relationship with Wakil?
9. What are some of the things that the Taliban banned in 1996?
10. What is Shakila's life like at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the relationship between Sharifa and Sonya. How does this relationship affect each person?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use poetry, letters and other text in "The Bookseller of Kabul"? Is this an effective technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who do you believe the original intended audience was for "The Bookseller of Kabul"? How does this audience affect the author's portrayal of events and people?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)