|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Wedding", what time of day is it when the groom and bride are painted with henna?
2. Whose idea is it for Shakila to wear a burka?
3. Why does Sultan say he moved his family to Pakistan?
4. What makes Bulbula unattractive to her social class?
5. Why does Sonya agree to marry Sultan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Shakila's life like at school?
2. What do the women in Peshawar talk about in "Crime and Punishment"?
3. What traditions are followed at Shakila's wedding?
4. What is unique about the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan?
5. What does Sharifa do in Peshawar?
6. How does the Taliban affect Shakila's life?
7. In "Burning Books", why are Sultan's books burned?
8. What does Sultan do when he wants to take a new wife in "The Proposal"?
9. Why does Sultan's apartment building often go without electricity?
10. How does Shakila's family prepare for her wedding in "Wedding"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sultan's apartment with one other setting in "The Bookseller of Kabul".
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use poetry, letters and other text in "The Bookseller of Kabul"? Is this an effective technique? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the treatment of women in this book. Explore the reasons behind the way they are treated, as well as the affects and results.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)