|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many boys are in Fazil's class at Esteqlal?
2. Who is at the bath in "The Smell of Dust"?
(a) The men and the women.
(b) All the women.
(c) Only the adult women.
(d) All the men.
3. How many suitors did Leila have prior to Karim?
4. How many times does Leila go to her class in "An Attempt"?
(a) Five times.
(c) She completes the class.
(d) Three times.
5. In "The Carpenter", why does Mansur worry when he finds out when Sultan will return home?
(a) Because he lost some of the merchandise.
(b) Because he wasn't supposed to take an English class.
(c) Because he paid the carpenter.
(d) Because he didn't finish his chores.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Sultan take the carpenter to the police?
2. How does Shakila feel about being a wife in "An Attempt"?
3. In "Can God Die", who does Fazil talk to about his teacher?
4. When is the Afghani new year celebrated?
5. Why does Sonya wish for a son as her second child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the carpenter steal from Sultan?
2. What happens when Leila visits her sister in "An Attempt"?
3. What happens to Leila when Mariam's son is sent away from Sultan's apartment?
4. In "The Call From Ali", what are Mansur's plans for the new year?
5. What do Bob and Tajmir do in Khost?
6. In "The Dreary Room", what is an average day like for Aimal?
7. In "An Attempt", what is Sonya's biggest concern?
8. What happens when Mustafa is shown a picture of Osama bin Ladin?
9. What happens when Leila meets with the Ministry of Education?
10. How does Mansur feel at the beginning of "The Call From Ali"?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)