|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leila decide to do when she sees Miriam's son get sent away?
(a) She decides to have a plan to leave.
(b) She decides to return to school.
(c) She decides to work harder to not get kicked out.
(d) She decides to ask Shakila for money.
2. Why does Mariam want Fazil in school?
(a) So he can go to high school.
(b) So he isn't working at Sultan's.
(c) So he can get a visa.
(d) So he will stay out of trouble.
3. How does Mansur feel at the end of "The Call From Ali"?
4. Why doesn't Sultan take the carpenter to the police?
(a) Because he returns what he stole.
(b) Because the he offers to work for free.
(c) Because the police station is closed.
(d) Because he runs away.
5. What happens when Leila wants to get onions in "A Broken Heart"?
(a) They make her dig them up herself.
(b) They send one of the boys instead.
(c) They laugh at her.
(d) They don't give her enough money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sonya wish for a son as her second child?
2. In "The Call From Ali", whose permission does Mansur need to travel to Mazar-i-Sharif?
3. Why does Leila have to meet with the Ministry of Education?
4. In "Can God Die", who does Fazil talk to about his teacher?
5. Why does Sultan hire the carpenter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Mansur's English class in "The Carpenter"?
2. Why does Sultan hire the carpenter for his shop?
3. What is the hotel like in "The Dreary Room"?
4. In "An Attempt", what is Sonya's biggest concern?
5. What happens when Leila takes a class in "An Attempt"?
6. What is the environment at the bath like in "The Smell of Dust"?
7. What happens when Mustafa is shown a picture of Osama bin Ladin?
8. What happens to Fazil after being sent away from Sultan's apartment?
9. What happens when Sharifa returns in "The Smell of Dust"?
10. In "Can God Die", what does Fazil do before going to bed?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)