|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fazil study before sleeping?
(a) His prayers.
2. Why does Leila have to meet with the Ministry of Education?
(a) To help Mansur.
(b) To get her report card.
(c) To get a job as a teacher.
(d) To finish school.
3. How does Leila describe what Karim could offer her?
(a) An escape.
(b) A lonely life.
(c) An education.
(d) Financial security.
4. How does Mansur feel about his life at the bookstore?
(a) He is stressed out over it.
(b) He is indifferent about it.
(c) He is unhappy with it.
(d) He is happy with it.
5. Who is at the bath in "The Smell of Dust"?
(a) All the women.
(b) All the men.
(c) Only the adult women.
(d) The men and the women.
6. How does Karim help Leila with her desire to teach?
(a) He loans her money to go to school.
(b) He hires an English tutor for her.
(c) He arranges a meeting with the Ministry of Educaiton.
(d) He buys her new clothes to wear on interviews.
7. What color is the mosque that Mansur travels to in "The Call From Ali"?
8. What do Bibi Gul and Sharifa talk about when Sharifa returns to Sultan's apartment?
9. How old was Fazil when his father died?
10. How long do Bob and Tajmir stay in Khost?
(a) One month.
(b) Just one day.
(c) Several days.
(d) Several weeks.
11. In "The Dreary Room", how old is Aimal?
12. Why is Leila still up at midnight in "The Smell of Dust"?
(a) Because she can't sleep.
(b) Because Sultan is being loud.
(c) Because it is when she reads.
(d) Because she is doing chores.
13. What does the carpenter beg Sultan to not do in "The Carpenter"?
(a) To not put him in jail.
(b) To not fire him.
(c) To not beat him up.
(d) To not tell his children that he stole.
14. When Karim sends Leila the letters, how many times have they met?
(a) Three times.
(c) Four times.
15. Where must Tajmir try to find the al-Qaida?
(a) The Afghan border.
(b) He isn't sure.
(c) Near Iraq.
(d) In India.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Mariam marry after her husband's death?
2. How many suitors did Leila have prior to Karim?
3. How does Shakila feel about being a wife in "An Attempt"?
4. In "Can God Die", who does Fazil talk to about his teacher?
5. Who wants Sultan to retract his complaint against the carpenter?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)