|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Karim sends Leila the letters, how many times have they met?
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
2. Where did Leila first meet Karim?
(a) At English class.
(b) At the hotel.
(c) In Iran.
(d) In the market square.
3. In "The Carpenter", why does Mansur worry when he finds out when Sultan will return home?
(a) Because he wasn't supposed to take an English class.
(b) Because he didn't finish his chores.
(c) Because he lost some of the merchandise.
(d) Because he paid the carpenter.
4. What does Sharifa bring with her when she returns to Sultan's apartment?
5. How many times does Leila go to her class in "An Attempt"?
(a) Three times.
(b) She completes the class.
(d) Five times.
6. What does Bibi Gul do after taking her bath in "The Smell of Dust"?
(a) She has someone bring her a cab.
(b) She counts her change for bus fare.
(c) She braids her hair.
(d) She puts on her burka.
7. How does Mansur feel about his life at the bookstore?
(a) He is unhappy with it.
(b) He is indifferent about it.
(c) He is happy with it.
(d) He is stressed out over it.
8. How does Leila describe what Karim could offer her?
(a) A lonely life.
(b) An escape.
(c) Financial security.
(d) An education.
9. What country does Karim work for?
10. Where does Leila hope she and her mother will go to get out of Sultan's apartment?
(a) With her brother.
(b) To the women's house.
(c) With her aunt.
(d) To India.
11. How many children does Tajmir have?
12. In "My Mother Osama", how does Feroza earn extra pay?
(a) For selling old guns.
(b) For selling drugs.
(c) For finding new recruits.
(d) For traveling in dangerous areas.
13. Who does Tajmir give his paycheck to before trying to find al-Qaida?
(b) His wife.
(c) He keeps it himself.
(d) His mother.
14. What does the carpenter try to steal from Mansur's father?
15. What surprises Leila about the class she takes in "An Attempt"?
(a) How quickly the teacher goes over things.
(b) That there are boys in her class.
(c) Her difficulty with writing.
(d) How long the class lasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the Afghani new year celebrated?
2. How many suitors did Leila have prior to Karim?
3. Who did Mariam marry after her husband's death?
4. What color is the mosque that Mansur travels to in "The Call From Ali"?
5. Who is Leila angry with because she didn't attend high school?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)