|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leila's family describe her cooking?
(a) They think it is good.
(b) They think it is horrible.
(c) Leila never cooks for her family.
(d) They think it is simple.
2. In "An Attempt", what does Leila think is the most difficult part about meeting with the Ministry of Education?
(a) Getting past the male guards.
(b) Sounding well educated.
(c) Keeping it a secret from Sultan.
(d) Finding appropriate clothing to wear.
3. Where must Tajmir try to find the al-Qaida?
(a) He isn't sure.
(b) Near Iraq.
(c) In India.
(d) The Afghan border.
4. In "An Attempt", what makes Leila jealous of Sonya?
(a) Her education.
(b) She can speak French.
(c) That she doesn't wear a burka.
(d) The privileges she has.
5. How does Fazil feel about his detention homework?
(a) He dislikes it.
(b) He is proud that he knows it all.
(c) He enjoys it.
(d) He thinks its a joke.
6. How many times does Leila go to her class in "An Attempt"?
(b) Five times.
(c) She completes the class.
(d) Three times.
7. What does the carpenter beg Sultan to not do in "The Carpenter"?
(a) To not put him in jail.
(b) To not fire him.
(c) To not beat him up.
(d) To not tell his children that he stole.
8. Who does Sultan take with him to confront the carpenter about stealing?
9. How does the carpenter prove he is sorry for stealing?
(a) He turns himself in to the police.
(b) He brings Sultan food.
(c) He has his father beat him.
(d) He says he'll go without pay.
10. How does Leila help Bibi Gul at home?
(a) She watches the younger children.
(b) She gives the neighbors rides.
(c) She does the yard work.
(d) She takes her father to and from work.
11. How many children does Tajmir have?
12. In "An Attempt", how does Sonya feel about her second pregnancy?
(d) Very pleased.
13. Why is Leila still up at midnight in "The Smell of Dust"?
(a) Because Sultan is being loud.
(b) Because it is when she reads.
(c) Because she is doing chores.
(d) Because she can't sleep.
14. How many suitors did Leila have prior to Karim?
15. When Karim sends Leila the letters, how many times have they met?
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the carpenter try to steal from Mansur's father?
2. How does Bibi Gul get home from the bath in "The Smell of Dust"?
3. Who is Leila angry with because she didn't attend high school?
4. In "Can God Die", what is Fazil's reading assignment about?
5. How does Leila feel about staying in Sultan's apartment?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)