|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Matriarch", how many people live in Sultan's apartment?
2. What do Sultan and Sharifa talk about when they are reunited in "The Business Trip"?
(a) Current events.
(b) Art and literature.
(c) Their health.
(d) The family.
3. Where does Sultan apply for visas to in 2001?
(c) The United States.
4. Why doesn't Sultan buy the textbooks from a foreign publisher in "The Business Trip"?
(a) Because he doesn't want them ideologically based.
(b) Because he can't afford it.
(c) Because he wants to write them himself.
(d) Because he doesn't want to be found.
5. In "Wedding", what time of day is it when the groom and bride are painted with henna?
6. How does the narrator describe the women in "Billowing, Fluttering, Winding"?
7. Why do Sultan's female relatives not dress up for his wedding to Sonya?
(a) They can't afford nice clothes.
(b) It's their family tradition.
(c) They don't want to look better than Sonya.
(d) They are rebeling against the marriage.
8. What does Shakila ask Wakil about working at their engagement party?
(a) If he will make enough money to support them.
(b) If she can start her own business.
(c) If he will allow her to work.
(d) If his job will force them to move.
9. Who negotiates the marriages of Shakila and Bulbula?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Their father.
10. Why does Sultan visit his relatives in "The Business Trip"?
(a) He wants to find a place for Sharifa to stay.
(b) It is tradition.
(c) He needs to borrow money.
(d) He needs a new apartment.
11. How many children does Sultan have with his first wife?
12. What does Shakila do for a living?
(a) She is a teacher's assistant.
(b) She is a secretary.
(c) She is a maid.
(d) She is a teacher.
13. How does Shakila react to her engagement?
(a) She is nervous.
(b) She is relieved to be getting married.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She isn't happy about it.
14. How does the narrator say Taliban rule could have affected Shakila's wedding?
(a) She couldn't wear a veil.
(b) She couldn't run away from her husband.
(c) There couldn't be music.
(d) No male relatives could have attened the ceremony.
15. Why must Shakila and Wakil sit down at the same time on their wedding day?
(a) Because it proves they love each other.
(b) Because Shakila's mother insists.
(c) Because Wakil gets angry if they don't.
(d) Because it is a superstition.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharifa do in Peshawar in "Crime and Punishment"?
2. Where is Shakila married?
3. What do many women do after the fall of the Taliban?
4. How long after losing her job does Shakila marry?
5. What does Shakila do during her feast in "Wedding"?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)