|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shakila ask Wakil about working at their engagement party?
(a) If his job will force them to move.
(b) If he will make enough money to support them.
(c) If she can start her own business.
(d) If he will allow her to work.
2. What do the women at Shakila's celebration do before eating in "Wedding"?
(a) They pray.
(b) They paint henna.
(c) They tell jokes.
(d) They dance.
3. How did a man visit Jamila while she was with her brother-in-law?
(a) He opened the cellar door.
(b) He waited on the back porch.
(c) He crawled through the window.
(d) He broke the key hole and opened the door.
4. Why does Sonya agree to marry Sultan?
(a) Because she loves him.
(b) Because he will make her rich.
(c) Because her mother forces her to.
(d) Because it will help her family.
5. How does Sharifa show she is upset with Sultan's choice of Sonya for a wife?
(a) She doesn't give them a gift.
(b) She is rude to Sonya.
(c) She speaks against him in public.
(d) She doesn't attend the ceremony.
6. When does "Burning Books", the store, open up?
7. In "Wedding", what time of day is it when the groom and bride are painted with henna?
8. How many girls does Sultan select to choose his wife from in "The Proposal"?
9. Why is Sultan able to have books printed in "The Business Trip"?
(a) Because he has the money.
(b) Because he has a friend who publishes.
(c) Because there are paper suppliers in Pakistan.
(d) Because there aren't controls over books.
10. How did Jamila's family react when the man visited her?
(a) They took away her money.
(b) They sent her to Paris.
(c) They kicked her out.
(d) They beat her.
11. How does the narrator say Taliban rule could have affected Shakila's wedding?
(a) She couldn't run away from her husband.
(b) There couldn't be music.
(c) No male relatives could have attened the ceremony.
(d) She couldn't wear a veil.
12. Where does "Billowing, Fluttering, Winding" take place?
(c) The Afghan countryside.
13. Why are Shakila and Bulbula older than most brides?
(a) They were both sick for a long time.
(b) They were traveling.
(c) They don't have enough money to get married.
(d) Their mother stopped them from getting married.
14. In "Wedding", what does Shakila fear will ruin her hairdo?
(a) Putting on her dress.
(b) The wind.
(c) Her hairdresser.
(d) Her burka.
15. What do many women do after the fall of the Taliban?
(a) They move.
(b) They form organizations.
(c) They get married.
(d) They begin to write about their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many decrees does the narrator say the Taliban passed in 1996?
2. Why does Shakila's mother mourn after her wedding?
3. In "Crime and Punishment", how does Sharifa feel about staying in Peshawar?
4. In "The Matriarch", when was Sultan's apartment built?
5. What law is passed regarding kites when the Taliban enters Kabul in 1996?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)