|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the women in "Billowing, Fluttering, Winding"?
2. How many decrees does the narrator say the Taliban passed in 1996?
3. Why is Sultan able to have books printed in "The Business Trip"?
(a) Because there aren't controls over books.
(b) Because he has a friend who publishes.
(c) Because he has the money.
(d) Because there are paper suppliers in Pakistan.
4. When does "Burning Books", the store, open up?
5. Who negotiates the marriages of Shakila and Bulbula?
(a) Their mother.
(b) Their father.
6. In "The Matriarch", how many people live in Sultan's apartment?
7. In "Wedding", what time of day is it when the groom and bride are painted with henna?
8. How does the narrator say Taliban rule could have affected Shakila's wedding?
(a) She couldn't wear a veil.
(b) No male relatives could have attened the ceremony.
(c) She couldn't run away from her husband.
(d) There couldn't be music.
9. How do the women discuss Saliqa's beating?
(a) They say it is a shame.
(b) They say it's just a joke.
(c) They say nothing about it.
(d) They say she is a disgrace.
10. What does Shakila do after being painted with henna?
(a) She eats her feast.
(b) She reads a book.
(c) She goes for a walk.
(d) She sleeps.
11. What do many women do after the fall of the Taliban?
(a) They move.
(b) They form organizations.
(c) They begin to write about their lives.
(d) They get married.
12. Why must Shakila and Wakil sit down at the same time on their wedding day?
(a) Because Shakila's mother insists.
(b) Because Wakil gets angry if they don't.
(c) Because it proves they love each other.
(d) Because it is a superstition.
13. How does Sharifa show she is upset with Sultan's choice of Sonya for a wife?
(a) She is rude to Sonya.
(b) She doesn't attend the ceremony.
(c) She doesn't give them a gift.
(d) She speaks against him in public.
14. How many textbooks does Sultan want in "The Business Trip"?
15. In "Suicide and Song", how do the Afghan women express their love?
(a) In poems.
(b) In paintings.
(c) In diaries.
(d) In weavings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sultan dress while traveling in "The Business Trip"?
2. Why does Sultan want textbooks printed?
3. Why does Shakila lose her job?
4. In "Crime and Punishment", how does Sharifa feel about staying in Peshawar?
5. How did a man visit Jamila while she was with her brother-in-law?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)