|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of hairstyles do the Taliban ban?
(a) Western styles.
(b) Shaved heads.
(c) Died hair.
(d) Long styles.
2. What does Shakila do during her feast in "Wedding"?
(a) Takes a walk outside.
(b) Sits on a couch.
(c) Reads a book.
(d) Tells jokes about her fiance.
3. When did Sultan begin buying and selling books?
(a) After his fabric business closed.
(b) When his father gave him his first book.
(c) When he was in college.
(d) After his first wedding.
4. Why did Sultan banish Farid from the family?
(a) Because he gambled.
(b) Because he started his own store.
(c) Because he beat up a woman.
(d) Because he stole money.
5. What do the women sit on in Sultan's apartment in "The Matriarch"?
(d) Small chairs.
6. Why does Shakila lose her job?
(a) The Taliban makes it illegal for her to work.
(b) She becomes ill.
(c) Because of her relationship with Mahmoud.
(d) The school is burned down.
7. Why does Sultan visit his relatives in "The Business Trip"?
(a) He needs to borrow money.
(b) It is tradition.
(c) He wants to find a place for Sharifa to stay.
(d) He needs a new apartment.
8. Why must Shakila and Wakil sit down at the same time on their wedding day?
(a) Because it is a superstition.
(b) Because Shakila's mother insists.
(c) Because Wakil gets angry if they don't.
(d) Because it proves they love each other.
9. How does Shakila know Mahmoud?
(a) They met at the market.
(b) They grew up together.
(c) They are distant cousins.
(d) They work together.
10. What does Shakila do for a living?
(a) She is a maid.
(b) She is a teacher's assistant.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a secretary.
11. Why is Sultan able to have books printed in "The Business Trip"?
(a) Because there are paper suppliers in Pakistan.
(b) Because he has the money.
(c) Because he has a friend who publishes.
(d) Because there aren't controls over books.
12. Whose idea is it for Shakila to wear a burka?
(c) Her own.
(d) Her mother's.
13. What does Sharifa do in Peshawar in "Crime and Punishment"?
(a) Makes pots.
(b) She doesn't work.
(c) Helps Sultan with his books.
(d) Weaves rugs.
14. How does Sharifa show she is upset with Sultan's choice of Sonya for a wife?
(a) She doesn't attend the ceremony.
(b) She doesn't give them a gift.
(c) She speaks against him in public.
(d) She is rude to Sonya.
15. Why is Saliqa beaten?
(a) For talking with a boy.
(b) For stealing from a store.
(c) For skipping school.
(d) For cheating on a test.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bibi Gul say she won't let Leila marry while she is still alive?
2. What are Shakila and Wakil covered with during their wedding ceremony?
3. In "The Matriarch", what reason is given for the Sultan's simple living arrangements?
4. In "The Matriarch", when was Sultan's apartment built?
5. How does Sultan dress while traveling in "The Business Trip"?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)