|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christine wonder if marriage is unbearable?
2. Who creates silk and dyes it to create clothes?
3. Who is a better painter than the men of her time?
4. According to Lady Reason, what goes against reason and nature?
5. Who do the Ephesians commission to paint a portrait of Diana?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Christine asks if God gives women an aptitude for learning, how does Reason respond?
2. Why does Emperor Justinian marry Antonia?
3. How will the three ladies help Christine build the City of Ladies?
4. What does Rectitude say about parents preferring sons to daughters?
5. In Section 1, part 10, how does Reason praise women in response to Cato's claim that attractive women are like roses with thorns underneath?
6. Why should Theodoric's honor for his victory in battle belong to his mother, Lilia?
7. Compare and contrast Zenobia and Artemisia.
8. Who are the Amazons, and how do they live?
9. List and describe the accomplishments of Nicostrata.
10. Why does Reason say women are not allowed in court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the individual functions of Lady Reason, Lady Rectitude, and Lady Justice?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Christine de Pizan writing herself into this novel as the main character? How does this affect the readers' response to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are the misconceptions Christine mentions about women, and how do Reason, Rectitude, and Justice dispute these?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)