|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does God bestow upon the sibyls?
2. Who predicts that Justinian will become emperor?
3. Who is the first lady that speaks to Christine?
4. Who does Reason claim never criticized women more than men?
5. To Cato's claim that attractive women are like roses with thorns underneath, what does Reason say the thorns represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Ceres and Isis.
2. Compare and contrast Zenobia and Artemisia.
3. Who does Rectitude begin with when she dictates the order in which Christine must arrange the valuable stones, and why is this significant?
4. What does Reason tell Christine when Christine asks if women are capable of good judgment?
5. How does Hypsipyle save her father, Thoas?
6. How does Reason respond to Christine's question about why male authors slander women?
7. Once the buildings are finished, what does Rectitude tell Christine?
8. Why does Reason say women are not allowed in court?
9. Who are the Amazons, and how do they live?
10. In Section 1, part 10, how does Reason praise women in response to Cato's claim that attractive women are like roses with thorns underneath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the individual functions of Lady Reason, Lady Rectitude, and Lady Justice?
Essay Topic 2
What role do sexist attitudes play in "The Book of the City of Ladies"? What attitudes about gender are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the manner in which the city is built.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)