|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who prophesies about the wooden plank that comes from the tree which will be used to kill the man who will destroy the Jewish faith?
2. Who defeats her enemy by instructing the army to hold boughs from trees so the enemy thinks the forest is near?
3. What country does the King of Palmyria and his wife subjugate?
4. Who changes Ulysses's men into swine?
5. According to Lady Reason, what goes against reason and nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Queen of Sheba prophesy about while visiting King Solomon?
2. When Christine asks if marriage is unbearable because women are impossible to live with, how does Rectitude respond?
3. Describe Almathea's interactions with King Tarquin in Rome.
4. Why should Theodoric's honor for his victory in battle belong to his mother, Lilia?
5. In Section 1, Parts 37-41, what inventions are listed, and who makes them?
6. What does Reason say about the intelligence and education of Cornifica and Proba?
7. In Section 1, part 10, how does Reason praise women in response to Cato's claim that attractive women are like roses with thorns underneath?
8. Once the buildings are finished, what does Rectitude tell Christine?
9. Who are the Amazons, and how do they live?
10. Compare and contrast Zenobia and Artemisia.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do sexist attitudes play in "The Book of the City of Ladies"? What attitudes about gender are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
How do Lady Reason, Lady Rectitude, and Lady Justice explain their use of pagan women as examples of virtue and honor?
Essay Topic 3
What are the misconceptions Christine mentions about women, and how do Reason, Rectitude, and Justice dispute these?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)