|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lady Reason, what goes against reason and nature?
2. What is Christine supposed to build?
3. Who kills Queen Penthesila?
4. Who marries Saturn and gives birth to Jupiter, Neptune, and Pluto?
5. After the trench is completed, what must Christine do to begin building the foundation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christine's opinion about being female before the three ladies appear to her, and explain why she feels this way.
2. What does Reason tell Christine when Christine asks if women are capable of good judgment?
3. Why does Reason say women are not allowed in court?
4. What does the Queen of Sheba prophesy about while visiting King Solomon?
5. Why does Emperor Justinian marry Antonia?
6. What is Queen Penthesila's role in the legendary Trojan War and as an Amazon?
7. How does Hypsipyle save her father, Thoas?
8. Who are the Amazons, and how do they live?
9. When Christine asks if God gives women an aptitude for learning, how does Reason respond?
10. Once the buildings are finished, what does Rectitude tell Christine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Investigate "The Book of the City of Ladies" as a feminist novel. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical feminist novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as a feminist novel? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as a feminist novel?
Essay Topic 2
Does Christine actually believe what she has read about women? Explain your position.
Essay Topic 3
How does Christine change throughout the novel? Detail the changes she makes and the reasons behind those changes.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)