|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That summer and fall, Ruth, May, Ruby, and Justin begin to go where?
2. Ruby was a surprise baby, born prematurely in a time when his parents had believed what?
3. May's attitude toward Ruth begins to do what?
4. May then spends the entire night complaining about what?
5. Who walks Ruth down the aisle?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ruby's father treat him?
2. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
3. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
4. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
5. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
6. What is happening during this time in Ruby's life?
7. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
8. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
9. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
10. What job does Ruby finally get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruby is hit by a car.
Part 1) Why was he hit by a car? How does this reveal Ruby's behavior and attitude at this time?
Part 2) How does this affect the other members of his family? Does he realize the consequences of his actions? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might you have done about Ruby after this accident? Why would you have done this?
Essay Topic 2
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 3
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)