|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The following January, Ruby gets a job running ________________ that parks in the grocery store parking lot twice a month.
2. Ruth wants to buy him a winter suit, but May gets him one from where?
3. Daisy tells Ruth that she should do what?
4. That summer and fall, Ruth, May, Ruby, and Justin begin to go where?
5. Ruth goes to Randall and offers him words of encouragement as well as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Ruth return home?
2. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
3. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
4. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
5. What job does Ruby finally get?
6. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
7. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
8. What does Ruth decide she and Ruby should do? How does this turn out? Why?
9. What led to Ruby being babied?
10. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Matt graduate.
Part 1) How is each of them affected by this graduation? Why? What does this reveal about their futures?
Part 2) How do the family dynamics change? How does May feel about this? Why?
Part 3) Could Ruth have had a better future? Why or why not? Should Matt have acted differently toward his family at this point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)