|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Ruby not hold a job?
2. Why did Ruby do this to the chicken?
3. How does May feel about the baby?
4. May does not approve of Ruby from the start, claiming what?
5. Why does May insist they all go back to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
2. What job does Ruby finally get?
3. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
4. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
5. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
6. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
7. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
8. How did Ruby's father treat him?
9. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
10. What time does Ruth remember as one of the best times in her marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The household falls apart.
Part 1) Describe this destruction. What is the cause of this destruction?
Part 2) How do Ruth, Ruby, and May play a role in it's destruction?
Part 3) How different might their relationship have been if they had not lived together? Could it have been better? Why or why not? Could May's death have been prevented? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruby's family dynamics greatly affected him.
Part 1) Describe Ruby's childhood. How do events and people in his childhood affect him as an adult?
Part 2) How does Ruby bring this baggage into his life with Ruth? How does May exacerbate these problems?
Part 3) Could Ruby have overcome this difficult childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth marries Ruby.
Part 1) Why does she marry him? Should she have married him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are Ruby and May alike? How are they different? How does their volatile relationship affect Ruth?
Part 3) Do you believe many people marry for the wrong reasons or marry the wrong person? Why or why not?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)