|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ruby and May think of this idea?
2. Aunt Sid meets Ruth at the bus station and takes her where?
3. When does tension begin?
4. Ruby continues to see his counselor who pushes him to do what?
5. Ruth does what to May for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
2. What does Ruth decide she and Ruby should do? How does this turn out? Why?
3. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
4. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
5. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
6. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
7. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
8. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
9. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)