|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Artie gives Ruby a job where?
2. Why does May insist they all go back to work?
3. Ruby spends most of his time doing what in the basement?
4. How is May appeased?
5. May and Ruth work while Ruby does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Ruth return home?
2. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
3. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
4. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
5. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
6. What time does Ruth remember as one of the best times in her marriage?
7. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
8. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
9. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
10. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
May and Sid dislike Ruth's choice in men.
Part 1) Describe Ruby. Why do both May and Sid dislike him? Do they have valid reasons to dislike him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is this used as foreshadowing? What other foreshadowing is found in this story?
Part 3) How do these feelings of Sid's toward Ruby affect her in the end? Why is nothing said to Ruth from Sid? Would it have changed anything? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)