|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In _______, Ruth and Ruby spend a week on the beach.
2. They sleep in late the first morning and spend the day doing what?
3. Ruby leaves the house and Ruth learns hours later that he did what?
4. On her wedding day, Ruth wears what?
5. Within a few months, what has happened to Ruth and Ruby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
2. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
3. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
4. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
5. What job does Ruby finally get?
6. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
7. What time does Ruth remember as one of the best times in her marriage?
8. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
9. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
10. What does Ruth decide she and Ruby should do? How does this turn out? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tensions build in the Grey-Dahl household.
Part 1) How do tensions build at various times in the story? Why do they build? How does this tension affect the various characters?
Part 2) Is this tension worse at the end of the story? Why or why not? Could this tension have been relieved at any point? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does tension help to move the plot along? How does it create action in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Matt graduate.
Part 1) How is each of them affected by this graduation? Why? What does this reveal about their futures?
Part 2) How do the family dynamics change? How does May feel about this? Why?
Part 3) Could Ruth have had a better future? Why or why not? Should Matt have acted differently toward his family at this point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The household falls apart.
Part 1) Describe this destruction. What is the cause of this destruction?
Part 2) How do Ruth, Ruby, and May play a role in it's destruction?
Part 3) How different might their relationship have been if they had not lived together? Could it have been better? Why or why not? Could May's death have been prevented? Why or why not?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)