|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ruby was revived, his mother promised to what?
2. On her wedding day, Ruth wears what?
3. What does Ruby do while Ruth labors?
4. Ruth decides she and Ruby should do what?
5. Ruby and Ruth have a _____________ to celebrate their marriage.
Short Essay Questions
1. To what does Ruth return home?
2. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
3. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
4. What led to Ruby being babied?
5. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
6. What does Ruth decide she and Ruby should do? How does this turn out? Why?
7. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
8. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
9. How did Ruby's father treat him?
10. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth's opinion of Sid is changed.
Part 1) Describe Sid's relationship and opinion of Sid up to the point when she finds the letter. How does this letter alter her opinion of Sid?
Part 2) Should Ruth be this upset about the letter? Why or why not? Should Sid have confronted Ruth regarding her opinion about Ruby? Why or why not?
Part 3) If your friend was in a relationship you did not care for, would you say something? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)