|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth returns to ___________ tensions at home.
2. Ruby was a surprise baby, born prematurely in a time when his parents had believed what?
3. Ruby's mother was an alcoholic and fell asleep with Ruby where?
4. May then spends the entire night complaining about what?
5. Ruth recalls this as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to Ruby being babied?
2. What job does Ruby finally get?
3. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
4. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
5. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
6. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
7. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 16?
8. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
9. What is happening during this time in Ruby's life?
10. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth's opinion of Sid is changed.
Part 1) Describe Sid's relationship and opinion of Sid up to the point when she finds the letter. How does this letter alter her opinion of Sid?
Part 2) Should Ruth be this upset about the letter? Why or why not? Should Sid have confronted Ruth regarding her opinion about Ruby? Why or why not?
Part 3) If your friend was in a relationship you did not care for, would you say something? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Aunt Sid communicate through letters.
Part 1) How and why does this communication begin? How dose this communication affect Ruth?
Part 2) What is learned about Ruth through these letters? How important is this relationship to Ruth? Why?
Part 3) What other relationships are important to Ruth in this story? How are relationships a theme in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Ruby is hit by a car.
Part 1) Why was he hit by a car? How does this reveal Ruby's behavior and attitude at this time?
Part 2) How does this affect the other members of his family? Does he realize the consequences of his actions? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might you have done about Ruby after this accident? Why would you have done this?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)