|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. They sleep in late the first morning and spend the day doing what?
2. Ruth becomes wrapped up in what?
3. Ruth does what to May for the first time?
4. The following January, Ruby gets a job running ________________ that parks in the grocery store parking lot twice a month.
5. Ruth and Ruby spend the first three months of the baby's life where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
2. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
3. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
4. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
5. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
6. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
7. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
8. How did Ruby's father treat him?
9. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
10. How does Ruth feel about getting married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Matt graduate.
Part 1) How is each of them affected by this graduation? Why? What does this reveal about their futures?
Part 2) How do the family dynamics change? How does May feel about this? Why?
Part 3) Could Ruth have had a better future? Why or why not? Should Matt have acted differently toward his family at this point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The household falls apart.
Part 1) Describe this destruction. What is the cause of this destruction?
Part 2) How do Ruth, Ruby, and May play a role in it's destruction?
Part 3) How different might their relationship have been if they had not lived together? Could it have been better? Why or why not? Could May's death have been prevented? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)