|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth finally takes this opportunity to tell Aunt Sid what?
2. Eventually Ruby's mother, who suffered asthma, had to move where for her health, leaving Ruby on his own in Illinois?
3. On her wedding day, Ruth wears what?
4. When Ruby was revived, his mother promised to what?
5. Ruth decides she and Ruby should do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
2. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
3. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
4. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
5. What led to Ruby being babied?
6. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
7. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
8. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
9. What is happening during this time in Ruby's life?
10. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth marries Ruby.
Part 1) Why does she marry him? Should she have married him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are Ruby and May alike? How are they different? How does their volatile relationship affect Ruth?
Part 3) Do you believe many people marry for the wrong reasons or marry the wrong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth lives in Honey Creek, Illinois.
Part 1) Describe Honey Creek. How is Ruth a part of this community?
Part 2) How does this community influence Ruth? How does the early description of this town prepare the reader for the rest of the book?
Part 3) How does your own town influence you? What can be learned about you by learning about the town?
Essay Topic 3
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)