|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually Ruby's mother, who suffered asthma, had to move where for her health, leaving Ruby on his own in Illinois?
2. May is forced to wait where, but Ruby goes with her to the labor room?
3. When Ruby learns of his mother's death a few years later, what does he do?
4. Ruth goes to Randall and offers him words of encouragement as well as what?
5. What do Ruby and May think of this idea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
2. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
3. What is happening during this time in Ruby's life?
4. What led to Ruby being babied?
5. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
6. What does Ruth decide she and Ruby should do? How does this turn out? Why?
7. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
8. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
9. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 16?
10. What job does Ruby finally get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth's opinion of Sid is changed.
Part 1) Describe Sid's relationship and opinion of Sid up to the point when she finds the letter. How does this letter alter her opinion of Sid?
Part 2) Should Ruth be this upset about the letter? Why or why not? Should Sid have confronted Ruth regarding her opinion about Ruby? Why or why not?
Part 3) If your friend was in a relationship you did not care for, would you say something? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
Essay Topic 3
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)