|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does tension begin?
2. On her wedding day, Ruth wears what?
3. The following January, Ruby gets a job running ________________ that parks in the grocery store parking lot twice a month.
4. Aunt Sid meets Ruth at the bus station and takes her where?
5. Why did Ruby do this to the chicken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Ruby finally get?
2. What does Ruth decide she and Ruby should do? How does this turn out? Why?
3. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
4. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
5. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
6. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
7. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
8. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
9. How does Ruth feel about getting married?
10. To what does Ruth return home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
Essay Topic 2
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 3
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)