|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth recalls this as what?
2. How does May feel about the baby?
3. A few weeks later, May and Ruby fight about what?
4. What does May think of Ruth's idea?
5. May is forced to wait where, but Ruby goes with her to the labor room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
2. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
3. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
4. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
5. What is happening during this time in Ruby's life?
6. How does Ruth feel about getting married?
7. What led to Ruby being babied?
8. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
9. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 16?
10. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tensions build in the Grey-Dahl household.
Part 1) How do tensions build at various times in the story? Why do they build? How does this tension affect the various characters?
Part 2) Is this tension worse at the end of the story? Why or why not? Could this tension have been relieved at any point? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does tension help to move the plot along? How does it create action in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth marries Ruby.
Part 1) Why does she marry him? Should she have married him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are Ruby and May alike? How are they different? How does their volatile relationship affect Ruth?
Part 3) Do you believe many people marry for the wrong reasons or marry the wrong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth's opinion of Sid is changed.
Part 1) Describe Sid's relationship and opinion of Sid up to the point when she finds the letter. How does this letter alter her opinion of Sid?
Part 2) Should Ruth be this upset about the letter? Why or why not? Should Sid have confronted Ruth regarding her opinion about Ruby? Why or why not?
Part 3) If your friend was in a relationship you did not care for, would you say something? Why or why not?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)