|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth returns to ___________ tensions at home.
2. Ruth goes to Randall and offers him words of encouragement as well as what?
3. What does May think of Ruth's idea?
4. Ruby leaves the house and Ruth learns hours later that he did what?
5. Why did Ruby do this to the chicken?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ruth feel about getting married?
2. How did Ruby's father treat him?
3. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
4. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
5. What does Ruth decide she and Ruby should do? How does this turn out? Why?
6. To what does Ruth return home?
7. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
8. What time does Ruth remember as one of the best times in her marriage?
9. What job does Ruby finally get?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
Essay Topic 2
The household falls apart.
Part 1) Describe this destruction. What is the cause of this destruction?
Part 2) How do Ruth, Ruby, and May play a role in it's destruction?
Part 3) How different might their relationship have been if they had not lived together? Could it have been better? Why or why not? Could May's death have been prevented? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
May and Sid dislike Ruth's choice in men.
Part 1) Describe Ruby. Why do both May and Sid dislike him? Do they have valid reasons to dislike him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is this used as foreshadowing? What other foreshadowing is found in this story?
Part 3) How do these feelings of Sid's toward Ruby affect her in the end? Why is nothing said to Ruth from Sid? Would it have changed anything? Why or why not?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)