|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth names the baby what?
2. Ruth often misses work to deal with what?
3. When Ruby was revived, his mother promised to what?
4. They sleep in late the first morning and spend the day doing what?
5. Why did Ruby do this to the chicken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 16?
2. How does Ruth feel about getting married?
3. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
4. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
5. To what does Ruth return home?
6. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
7. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
8. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
9. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
10. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Miss Finch form a relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How is it formed? How does Ruth benefit from this friendship?
Part 2) How does this relationship come to an end? How dose this ending affect Ruth?
Part 3) What relationships are important in your own life? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Tensions build in the Grey-Dahl household.
Part 1) How do tensions build at various times in the story? Why do they build? How does this tension affect the various characters?
Part 2) Is this tension worse at the end of the story? Why or why not? Could this tension have been relieved at any point? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does tension help to move the plot along? How does it create action in this story?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)