|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. May's attitude toward Ruth begins to do what?
2. May is forced to wait where, but Ruby goes with her to the labor room?
3. When Ruby was revived, his mother promised to what?
4. A few weeks later, May and Ruby fight about what?
5. Ruby and Ruth have a _____________ to celebrate their marriage.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
2. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
3. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
4. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
5. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
6. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
7. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
8. What is happening during this time in Ruby's life?
9. To what does Ruth return home?
10. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth lives in Honey Creek, Illinois.
Part 1) Describe Honey Creek. How is Ruth a part of this community?
Part 2) How does this community influence Ruth? How does the early description of this town prepare the reader for the rest of the book?
Part 3) How does your own town influence you? What can be learned about you by learning about the town?
Essay Topic 3
Ruby is hit by a car.
Part 1) Why was he hit by a car? How does this reveal Ruby's behavior and attitude at this time?
Part 2) How does this affect the other members of his family? Does he realize the consequences of his actions? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might you have done about Ruby after this accident? Why would you have done this?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)