|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was a family dynamic that caused Ruby to grow up how?
2. What does Ruth pick Daisy to be?
3. Ruth becomes wrapped up in what?
4. May thinks she is the expert on what?
5. Ruth and Ruby spend the first three months of the baby's life where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What time does Ruth remember as one of the best times in her marriage?
2. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
3. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
4. How did Ruby's father treat him?
5. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
6. To what does Ruth return home?
7. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
8. What led to Ruby being babied?
9. What is happening during this time in Ruby's life?
10. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tensions build in the Grey-Dahl household.
Part 1) How do tensions build at various times in the story? Why do they build? How does this tension affect the various characters?
Part 2) Is this tension worse at the end of the story? Why or why not? Could this tension have been relieved at any point? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does tension help to move the plot along? How does it create action in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
May is murdered.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up to her murder. Is her murder foreshadowed? Explain.
Part 2) Describe her murder. How is Ruth affected by this? How might it change her permanently?
Part 3) Could her murder have been prevented? If so, how? If not, why not? How might the various have found peace with May's death?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)