|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally the baby comes after how many hours of labor?
2. Ruth tells Ruby's story as his counselor ________ told it to her.
3. May takes Ruby and Ruth to pick what from a local orchard?
4. Ruby leaves the house and Ruth learns hours later that he did what?
5. When Ruby learns of his mother's death a few years later, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
2. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
3. What time does Ruth remember as one of the best times in her marriage?
4. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
5. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
6. How did Ruby's father treat him?
7. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
8. To what does Ruth return home?
9. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 16?
10. What job does Ruby finally get?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tensions build in the Grey-Dahl household.
Part 1) How do tensions build at various times in the story? Why do they build? How does this tension affect the various characters?
Part 2) Is this tension worse at the end of the story? Why or why not? Could this tension have been relieved at any point? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does tension help to move the plot along? How does it create action in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Ruby is hit by a car.
Part 1) Why was he hit by a car? How does this reveal Ruby's behavior and attitude at this time?
Part 2) How does this affect the other members of his family? Does he realize the consequences of his actions? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might you have done about Ruby after this accident? Why would you have done this?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)