|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first few months of marriage are ___________.
2. Sid is there and congratulates Ruth. Ruth gets what impression?
3. May and Ruth work while Ruby does what?
4. Ruth wants to take Justin and disappear where?
5. As the pregnancy continues, Ruth and Ruby attend what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
2. Describe the first few months after Justin's birth.
3. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
4. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
5. How does Ruth feel about getting married?
6. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
7. How did Ruby's father treat him?
8. What job does Ruby finally get?
9. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
10. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)