|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth learns what about herself?
2. Tensions begin to grow again as what happens?
3. Ruby and Ruth have a _____________ to celebrate their marriage.
4. Why is Ruth's idea dropped?
5. Why does May become upset when Ruby insists on a certain type of fruit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
2. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
3. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
4. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
5. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
6. What happens at the beginning of Chapter 16?
7. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
8. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
9. Describe the time between Ruth and Ruby's marriage and when tension begins.
10. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruby's family dynamics greatly affected him.
Part 1) Describe Ruby's childhood. How do events and people in his childhood affect him as an adult?
Part 2) How does Ruby bring this baggage into his life with Ruth? How does May exacerbate these problems?
Part 3) Could Ruby have overcome this difficult childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Miss Finch form a relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How is it formed? How does Ruth benefit from this friendship?
Part 2) How does this relationship come to an end? How dose this ending affect Ruth?
Part 3) What relationships are important in your own life? Why?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)