|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ruth feel about these books?
2. May cooks dinner while Ruth does what?
3. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
4. Ruth remembers one Christmas when the Reverend at her church announced what?
5. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Honey Creek.
2. How did May and Willard's marriage come to an end?
3. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby?
4. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
5. How does Ruth meet Ruby?
6. What story does Ruth tell about going to a dance?
7. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
8. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
9. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
10. What does Ruth do after high school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth lives in Honey Creek, Illinois.
Part 1) Describe Honey Creek. How is Ruth a part of this community?
Part 2) How does this community influence Ruth? How does the early description of this town prepare the reader for the rest of the book?
Part 3) How does your own town influence you? What can be learned about you by learning about the town?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruby is hit by a car.
Part 1) Why was he hit by a car? How does this reveal Ruby's behavior and attitude at this time?
Part 2) How does this affect the other members of his family? Does he realize the consequences of his actions? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might you have done about Ruby after this accident? Why would you have done this?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)