|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At other times, Ruth reads snippets of the letters she receives from whom?
2. Daisy wants to be what in Hollywood or New York?
3. Ruth also recalls when she got into the spelling bee and May allowed her to wear what?
4. One evening around the fourth of July, Daisy takes Ruth to the lake. They steal a boat and paddle out to the middle of the lake where they run into who?
5. Matt is a _____________ man by the time they reach high school.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
2. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
3. How did May come to spend a great deal of time with Willard Jenson?
4. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
5. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
6. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
7. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
8. What does Ruth remember about one Christmas?
9. What is the one happy memory Ruth has of her family?
10. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The household falls apart.
Part 1) Describe this destruction. What is the cause of this destruction?
Part 2) How do Ruth, Ruby, and May play a role in it's destruction?
Part 3) How different might their relationship have been if they had not lived together? Could it have been better? Why or why not? Could May's death have been prevented? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)