|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
2. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
3. Ruth remembers her first meeting with who?
4. Did Ruth have friends?
5. Ruth is hired to do what for Miss Finch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ruth is moved up to a normal English class?
2. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
3. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
4. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
5. What did Ruth think about these letters from Sid? Why?
6. What does Ruth remember about one Christmas?
7. Describe Honey Creek.
8. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
9. How did May come to spend a great deal of time with Willard Jenson?
10. What did May do after Willard's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Matt graduate.
Part 1) How is each of them affected by this graduation? Why? What does this reveal about their futures?
Part 2) How do the family dynamics change? How does May feel about this? Why?
Part 3) Could Ruth have had a better future? Why or why not? Should Matt have acted differently toward his family at this point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth marries Ruby.
Part 1) Why does she marry him? Should she have married him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are Ruby and May alike? How are they different? How does their volatile relationship affect Ruth?
Part 3) Do you believe many people marry for the wrong reasons or marry the wrong person? Why or why not?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)