|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Foote's husband dies from what?
2. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
3. May learned the tragic news on what day?
4. Some of the books are non-fiction, but many of them are classic literature, such as Charles Dickens' Bleak House and Jane Austen's _______________.
5. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
2. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
3. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
4. What story does Ruth tell about going to a dance?
5. How did May and Willard's marriage come to an end?
6. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
7. What is the one happy memory Ruth has of her family?
8. What happens when Ruth is moved up to a normal English class?
9. What did May do after Willard's death?
10. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth lives in Honey Creek, Illinois.
Part 1) Describe Honey Creek. How is Ruth a part of this community?
Part 2) How does this community influence Ruth? How does the early description of this town prepare the reader for the rest of the book?
Part 3) How does your own town influence you? What can be learned about you by learning about the town?
Essay Topic 2
May is very controlling of Justin.
Part 1) Describe this controlling behavior. How does it compare to her behavior toward her children when they were young?
Part 2) Why does she act this way? Should she act this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you tried to control a situation you were in? Why did you do this? How were you affected by this controlling behavior? How did your behavior affect others?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)