Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
2. Does Ruth intend to stay the first few times she goes to Miss Finch's?
3. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
4. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
5. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
2. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
3. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
4. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
5. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
6. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
7. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Essay Topic 1
Ruby's family dynamics greatly affected him.
Part 1) Describe Ruby's childhood. How do events and people in his childhood affect him as an adult?
Part 2) How does Ruby bring this baggage into his life with Ruth? How does May exacerbate these problems?
Part 3) Could Ruby have overcome this difficult childhood? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Tensions build in the Grey-Dahl household.
Part 1) How do tensions build at various times in the story? Why do they build? How does this tension affect the various characters?
Part 2) Is this tension worse at the end of the story? Why or why not? Could this tension have been relieved at any point? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does tension help to move the plot along? How does it create action in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)