|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
2. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
3. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
4. Why is Ruth afraid to tell this story and May's reaction?
5. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth remember about one Christmas?
2. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
3. What story does Ruth tell about going to a dance?
4. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
5. How did May and Willard's marriage come to an end?
6. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
7. How did May come to spend a great deal of time with Willard Jenson?
8. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
9. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
10. What did May do after Willard's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
May and Sid dislike Ruth's choice in men.
Part 1) Describe Ruby. Why do both May and Sid dislike him? Do they have valid reasons to dislike him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is this used as foreshadowing? What other foreshadowing is found in this story?
Part 3) How do these feelings of Sid's toward Ruby affect her in the end? Why is nothing said to Ruth from Sid? Would it have changed anything? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruby is hit by a car.
Part 1) Why was he hit by a car? How does this reveal Ruby's behavior and attitude at this time?
Part 2) How does this affect the other members of his family? Does he realize the consequences of his actions? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might you have done about Ruby after this accident? Why would you have done this?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)