|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did these feelings about herself affect her?
2. May cooks dinner while Ruth does what?
3. Artie, from the dry cleaners, talks Ruth into joining what?
4. They often share personal stories, and sometimes Miss Finch talks about her husband and what?
5. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ruth think about these letters from Sid? Why?
2. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
3. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
4. How did May come to spend a great deal of time with Willard Jenson?
5. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
6. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
7. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
8. What is the one happy memory Ruth has of her family?
9. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
10. What does Ruth recall about school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
Essay Topic 2
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)