|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The town is so _________ that everyone knows everyone's business.
2. How did Ruth feel when Jesus did not really make an appearance?
3. How did these feelings about herself affect her?
4. May wore the same _________ from her sister's wedding to her husband's memorial service.
5. May's main chore as a teenager was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
2. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
3. What did May do after Willard's death?
4. Describe Honey Creek.
5. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
6. What happens when Ruth is moved up to a normal English class?
7. What is one memory Ruth has of her father?
8. How does Ruth meet Ruby?
9. What does Ruth do after high school?
10. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth marries Ruby.
Part 1) Why does she marry him? Should she have married him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are Ruby and May alike? How are they different? How does their volatile relationship affect Ruth?
Part 3) Do you believe many people marry for the wrong reasons or marry the wrong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
Essay Topic 3
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)