|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ruth feel about these books?
2. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
3. What happened one afternoon when Ruth's father accidentally spilled ice cream on her head?
4. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
5. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one memory Ruth has of her father?
2. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
3. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
4. What happens between Randall and Ruth? What happens at about the same time?
5. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby?
6. What does Ruth recall about school?
7. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
10. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
Essay Topic 3
Ruby's family dynamics greatly affected him.
Part 1) Describe Ruby's childhood. How do events and people in his childhood affect him as an adult?
Part 2) How does Ruby bring this baggage into his life with Ruth? How does May exacerbate these problems?
Part 3) Could Ruby have overcome this difficult childhood? Why or why not?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)