|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As children they often played house together, but Matt had to be who?
2. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
3. _________ years later Ruth was born and Matthew the following year.
4. They often share personal stories, and sometimes Miss Finch talks about her husband and what?
5. Ruth would often catch bees and leave them where?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
2. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
3. How does Ruth meet Ruby?
4. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
5. What does Ruth recall about school?
6. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
7. What did Ruth think about these letters from Sid? Why?
8. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
9. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
10. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
May is murdered.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up to her murder. Is her murder foreshadowed? Explain.
Part 2) Describe her murder. How is Ruth affected by this? How might it change her permanently?
Part 3) Could her murder have been prevented? If so, how? If not, why not? How might the various have found peace with May's death?
Essay Topic 2
The household falls apart.
Part 1) Describe this destruction. What is the cause of this destruction?
Part 2) How do Ruth, Ruby, and May play a role in it's destruction?
Part 3) How different might their relationship have been if they had not lived together? Could it have been better? Why or why not? Could May's death have been prevented? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)