|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. May shows Ruth how to do what but stops abruptly when Matt walks in and sees them?
2. While Ruth is working for Miss Finch, she begins to do what?
3. What does she help the team do?
4. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
5. Ruth remembers one Christmas when the Reverend at her church announced what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
2. What is one memory Ruth has of her father?
3. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
4. What is the one happy memory Ruth has of her family?
5. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
6. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
7. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
8. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
9. What did Ruth think about these letters from Sid? Why?
10. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)