Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
2. Does Ruth intend to stay the first few times she goes to Miss Finch's?
3. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
4. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
5. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
2. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
3. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
4. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
5. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
6. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
7. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Essay Topic 1
May is murdered.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up to her murder. Is her murder foreshadowed? Explain.
Part 2) Describe her murder. How is Ruth affected by this? How might it change her permanently?
Part 3) Could her murder have been prevented? If so, how? If not, why not? How might the various have found peace with May's death?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)