|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. May often has to remind Ruth to do what?
2. Sid came to make amends with May over an argument dealing with what?
3. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
4. Did Ruth have friends?
5. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
2. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
3. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
4. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
5. Describe Honey Creek.
6. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
7. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
8. What happens between Randall and Ruth? What happens at about the same time?
9. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
10. What did May do after Willard's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
Essay Topic 2
May is very controlling of Justin.
Part 1) Describe this controlling behavior. How does it compare to her behavior toward her children when they were young?
Part 2) Why does she act this way? Should she act this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you tried to control a situation you were in? Why did you do this? How were you affected by this controlling behavior? How did your behavior affect others?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth vacations with Sid.
Part 1) What was Ruth's original vacation plan? Why does this first plan fall through? What does this reveal about Ruby?
Part 2) How important is this vacation to Ruth? Why do May and Ruby react the way they do regarding Ruth's vacation? How do their reactions affect Ruth?
Part 3) Describe a vacation on which you have gone. Why was it important to you? How were you changed by it?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)