|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sid came to make amends with May over an argument dealing with what?
2. In __________ grade, Ruth was instructed to write a letter to someone, so she chose Aunt Sid.
3. Matt is a _____________ man by the time they reach high school.
4. May shows Ruth how to do what but stops abruptly when Matt walks in and sees them?
5. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby?
2. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
3. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
4. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
5. What does Ruth remember about one Christmas?
6. How does Ruth meet Ruby?
7. How does May feel about Ruth's engagement to Ruby? Why? How is May appeased?
8. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
9. What good day takes place in November?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Essay Topic 1
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
Essay Topic 2
May is murdered.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up to her murder. Is her murder foreshadowed? Explain.
Part 2) Describe her murder. How is Ruth affected by this? How might it change her permanently?
Part 3) Could her murder have been prevented? If so, how? If not, why not? How might the various have found peace with May's death?
Essay Topic 3
May is very controlling of Justin.
Part 1) Describe this controlling behavior. How does it compare to her behavior toward her children when they were young?
Part 2) Why does she act this way? Should she act this way? Why or why not?
Part 3) When have you tried to control a situation you were in? Why did you do this? How were you affected by this controlling behavior? How did your behavior affect others?
This section contains 2,142 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)