|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
2. Sid came to make amends with May over an argument dealing with what?
3. What does Randall, Dee Dee's son, do to Ruth?
4. They would dance among what?
5. Daisy wants to be what in Hollywood or New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
2. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
3. What does Ruth do after high school?
4. What did May do after Willard's death?
5. What does Ruth remember about one Christmas?
6. What happens when Ruth is moved up to a normal English class?
7. What is one memory Ruth has of her father?
8. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby?
9. What is the one happy memory Ruth has of her family?
10. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth marries Ruby.
Part 1) Why does she marry him? Should she have married him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are Ruby and May alike? How are they different? How does their volatile relationship affect Ruth?
Part 3) Do you believe many people marry for the wrong reasons or marry the wrong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
May is murdered.
Part 1) Describe the events leading up to her murder. Is her murder foreshadowed? Explain.
Part 2) Describe her murder. How is Ruth affected by this? How might it change her permanently?
Part 3) Could her murder have been prevented? If so, how? If not, why not? How might the various have found peace with May's death?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)