|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
2. May wore the same _________ from her sister's wedding to her husband's memorial service.
3. Miss Finch is taken to a nursing home for what reason?
4. Who was going to change the world?
5. What does Artie proudly display in the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
2. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
3. What job does Ruby finally get?
4. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
5. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
6. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
7. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
8. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
9. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
10. What good day takes place in November?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tensions build in the Grey-Dahl household.
Part 1) How do tensions build at various times in the story? Why do they build? How does this tension affect the various characters?
Part 2) Is this tension worse at the end of the story? Why or why not? Could this tension have been relieved at any point? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does tension help to move the plot along? How does it create action in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth and Aunt Sid communicate through letters.
Part 1) How and why does this communication begin? How dose this communication affect Ruth?
Part 2) What is learned about Ruth through these letters? How important is this relationship to Ruth? Why?
Part 3) What other relationships are important to Ruth in this story? How are relationships a theme in this story?
Essay Topic 3
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
This section contains 2,096 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)