|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
2. Ruth takes a job where?
3. In __________ grade, Ruth was instructed to write a letter to someone, so she chose Aunt Sid.
4. May often has to remind Ruth to do what?
5. Ruth remembers one Christmas when the Reverend at her church announced what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
2. What does Daisy suggest Ruth do? How do the others feel about this idea?
3. What does Ruth recall about school?
4. What did May do after Willard's death?
5. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
6. What job does Ruby finally get?
7. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
8. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
9. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
10. How do Ruth and Ruby feel at the birthing class?
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
Essay Topic 3
Ruby's family dynamics greatly affected him.
Part 1) Describe Ruby's childhood. How do events and people in his childhood affect him as an adult?
Part 2) How does Ruby bring this baggage into his life with Ruth? How does May exacerbate these problems?
Part 3) Could Ruby have overcome this difficult childhood? Why or why not?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)