Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
2. Does Ruth intend to stay the first few times she goes to Miss Finch's?
3. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
4. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
5. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
2. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
3. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
4. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
5. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
6. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
7. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
May and Sid dislike Ruth's choice in men.
Part 1) Describe Ruby. Why do both May and Sid dislike him? Do they have valid reasons to dislike him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is this used as foreshadowing? What other foreshadowing is found in this story?
Part 3) How do these feelings of Sid's toward Ruby affect her in the end? Why is nothing said to Ruth from Sid? Would it have changed anything? Why or why not?
Ruth and Matt graduate.
Part 1) How is each of them affected by this graduation? Why? What does this reveal about their futures?
Part 2) How do the family dynamics change? How does May feel about this? Why?
Part 3) Could Ruth have had a better future? Why or why not? Should Matt have acted differently toward his family at this point? Why or why not?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)