Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
2. Does Ruth intend to stay the first few times she goes to Miss Finch's?
3. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
4. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
5. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
2. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
3. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
4. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
5. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
6. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
7. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
Ruth's opinion of Sid is changed.
Part 1) Describe Sid's relationship and opinion of Sid up to the point when she finds the letter. How does this letter alter her opinion of Sid?
Part 2) Should Ruth be this upset about the letter? Why or why not? Should Sid have confronted Ruth regarding her opinion about Ruby? Why or why not?
Part 3) If your friend was in a relationship you did not care for, would you say something? Why or why not?
Ruth and Matt graduate.
Part 1) How is each of them affected by this graduation? Why? What does this reveal about their futures?
Part 2) How do the family dynamics change? How does May feel about this? Why?
Part 3) Could Ruth have had a better future? Why or why not? Should Matt have acted differently toward his family at this point? Why or why not?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)