|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Ruth's teachers not help doing?
2. They would dance among what?
3. Together as what do May and Ruth work?
4. They often share personal stories, and sometimes Miss Finch talks about her husband and what?
5. Ruth recalls a time when May suggested Ruth go to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
2. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
3. What does Ruth recall about school?
4. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
5. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
6. What happens between Randall and Ruth? What happens at about the same time?
7. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
8. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
9. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
10. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
May and Sid dislike Ruth's choice in men.
Part 1) Describe Ruby. Why do both May and Sid dislike him? Do they have valid reasons to dislike him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How is this used as foreshadowing? What other foreshadowing is found in this story?
Part 3) How do these feelings of Sid's toward Ruby affect her in the end? Why is nothing said to Ruth from Sid? Would it have changed anything? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
Essay Topic 3
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)