|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Honey Creek is a small farm town in the ______________ part of Illinois.
2. How did Ruth feel when Jesus did not really make an appearance?
3. How does this affect Ruth?
4. While Ruth is working for Miss Finch, she begins to do what?
5. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
2. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
3. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
4. What does Ruth remember about one Christmas?
5. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
6. What does Ruth recall about school?
7. What is one memory Ruth has of her father?
8. What did May do after Willard's death?
9. What story does Ruth tell about going to a dance?
10. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth lives in Honey Creek, Illinois.
Part 1) Describe Honey Creek. How is Ruth a part of this community?
Part 2) How does this community influence Ruth? How does the early description of this town prepare the reader for the rest of the book?
Part 3) How does your own town influence you? What can be learned about you by learning about the town?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)