|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth takes a job where?
2. At other times, Ruth reads snippets of the letters she receives from whom?
3. _________ years later Ruth was born and Matthew the following year.
4. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
5. Willard was killed where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
2. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
3. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
4. What happens in Ruth's life while in the hospital?
5. What time does Ruth remember as one of the best times in her marriage?
6. What did Ruth think about these letters from Sid? Why?
7. Why does May's attitude toward Ruth begin to change?
8. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
9. What leads to May's death?
10. To what does Ruth return home?
Essay Topic 1
Ruth and her brother Matt have a trouble relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How has it come to be like this? What role do their parents play in this relationship?
Part 2) How does the treatment of these two backfire on May? Did she purposely mean to raise them unequally? Why or why not?
Part 3) Describe your own upbringing. How does it compare to Ruth's and Matt's?
Essay Topic 2
May becomes friends with Dee Dee.
Part 1) Describe their friendship. Why might these two be friends?
Part 2) What is learned about May through this relationship? What might be the cause for this different behavior?
Part 3) How do you act differently around different people? Why? What might this reveal about you?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Matt graduate.
Part 1) How is each of them affected by this graduation? Why? What does this reveal about their futures?
Part 2) How do the family dynamics change? How does May feel about this? Why?
Part 3) Could Ruth have had a better future? Why or why not? Should Matt have acted differently toward his family at this point? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,098 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)