|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
2. They would dance among what?
3. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
4. Ruth's father left when she was ______, just drove away and went to Texas to pick grapefruit and never returned.
5. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Ruth tell about going to a dance?
2. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
3. What does Ruth do after high school?
4. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
5. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
6. What did Ruth think about these letters from Sid? Why?
7. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
8. How did May and Willard's marriage come to an end?
9. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
10. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The household falls apart.
Part 1) Describe this destruction. What is the cause of this destruction?
Part 2) How do Ruth, Ruby, and May play a role in it's destruction?
Part 3) How different might their relationship have been if they had not lived together? Could it have been better? Why or why not? Could May's death have been prevented? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Miss Finch form a relationship.
Part 1) Describe this relationship. How is it formed? How does Ruth benefit from this friendship?
Part 2) How does this relationship come to an end? How dose this ending affect Ruth?
Part 3) What relationships are important in your own life? Why?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)