Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
2. Does Ruth intend to stay the first few times she goes to Miss Finch's?
3. Ruth recalls how her mother often told her her father's leaving was whose fault?
4. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
5. Ruth believes May is very _________ at this point in her life.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
2. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
3. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
4. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
5. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
6. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
7. How do Ruby and Ruth celebrate their marriage?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
10. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
Essay Topic 1
Ruth marries Ruby.
Part 1) Why does she marry him? Should she have married him? Why or why not?
Part 2) How are Ruby and May alike? How are they different? How does their volatile relationship affect Ruth?
Part 3) Do you believe many people marry for the wrong reasons or marry the wrong person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
May has lived a difficult life.
Part 1) Describe her life. How has she changed throughout her life? What led to these changes?
Part 2) How does May allow her past troubles to affect the present and the future? How does her past influence Ruth and Matt's lives?
Part 3) How might your own past influence your present and future? Is this good or bad? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth and Ruby meet on the lake.
Part 1) Describe this first meeting. What is learned about Ruby at this meeting? How does his past influence who he is at this point?
Part 2) How does this relationship progress? How is their demise foreshadowed? Why do they not see this?
Part 3) How different might Ruth's life have been if she had married Randall? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)