|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
2. What does Ruth discover about herself?
3. Ruth begins working for Miss Finch. Miss Finch lives down the road from the Grey's and lost what in her old age?
4. May learned the tragic news on what day?
5. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth's labor and delivery.
2. What happens in Ruth's life while in the hospital?
3. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
4. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby at the beginning of this section?
5. What led to Ruby being babied?
6. What happens when May, Ruby, and Ruth go to pick apples?
7. Describe Aunt Sid and Ruth's vacation together.
8. What happens between Randall and Ruth? What happens at about the same time?
9. What leads to tension? What exacerbates this tension?
10. What led to Ruby having a counselor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ruth lives in Honey Creek, Illinois.
Part 1) Describe Honey Creek. How is Ruth a part of this community?
Part 2) How does this community influence Ruth? How does the early description of this town prepare the reader for the rest of the book?
Part 3) How does your own town influence you? What can be learned about you by learning about the town?
Essay Topic 2
Ruth learns she is pregnant.
Part 1) How do May and Ruby react to this news? Why do they react this way?
Part 2) Is this pregnancy a good idea? Why or why not? How does this pregnancy and Justin's birth both help and hurt this family?
Part 3) Would this family have survived if Justin had not been born? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Ruth's father left when she was ten.
Part 1) Describe Ruth's family. Why might her father have left?
Part 2) How did her father's leaving affect Ruth, her brother, and her mother?
Part 3) What is a significant event that has taken place in your own life? How has it affected you?
This section contains 2,377 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)