|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
(a) The same as.
(b) Faster and better than.
(c) Similar to how.
(d) Slower and worse than.
2. How does Ruth feel about these books?
(a) She fears them.
(b) She is excited about them.
(c) She is annoyed by them.
(d) She is interested in them.
3. The marriage was a happy one, until what?
(a) May became pregnant.
(b) World War I began.
(c) World War II began.
(d) Willard lost his job.
4. What happened one afternoon when Ruth's father accidentally spilled ice cream on her head?
(a) Everyone laughed together at that.
(b) Everyone laughed at her.
(c) Everyone ignored her.
(d) Everyone became angry with him.
5. What does May not buy Ruth?
(b) School supplies.
Short Answer Questions
1. May's main chore as a teenager was what?
2. Ruth remembers the early letters Aunt Sid sent to her, filled with what stories?
3. Does Ruth intend to stay the first few times she goes to Miss Finch's?
4. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
5. Did May accept this news?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth dream about doing? Why?
2. What does May learn in April? How might this make her feel?
3. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
4. Describe Honey Creek.
5. What did May do after Willard's death?
6. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
7. How did May come to spend a great deal of time with Willard Jenson?
8. What led to Ruby being babied?
9. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
10. What job does Ruby finally get?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)