|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Artie proudly display in the store?
(a) The bowling trophy.
(b) The tennis trophy.
(c) The softball trophy.
(d) The basketball trophy.
2. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
3. When they finally married, most people thought it was for what reason?
(a) May was pregnant from all the time they spent alone together.
(b) Willard would be going off to war.
(c) May's parents forced Willard to marry her.
(d) May and Willard were madly in love.
4. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
(a) His confidante.
(b) His sister.
(c) His best friend.
(d) His mother.
5. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
(a) Run away.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Get married young.
(d) Kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everyone liked Willard Jenson; he was _______________ young man.
2. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
3. Ruth remembers one Christmas when the Reverend at her church announced what?
4. Did May accept this news?
5. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth remember about one Christmas?
2. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
3. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
4. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
5. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
6. What happened when May met Elmer Grey?
7. What happens between Randall and Ruth? What happens at about the same time?
8. What did May do after Willard's death?
9. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
10. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)