|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
(a) She asked Sid to say it was from her.
(b) She yelled at Sid.
(c) She begged Sid to take it back.
(d) She quickly confiscated the gift.
2. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
(a) With disappointment.
3. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
(a) She asks Aunt Sid for the money for school supplies.
(b) She asks Aunt Sid for the money to buy bras.
(c) She asks Aunt Sid for money to buy bras but lies and says the money is for a gift for May's birthday.
(d) She asks Aunt Sid to take her bra shopping.
4. For _____ years, May lived with her parents, doing the chores with the younger children.
5. Ruth remembers mistaking __________ for onions one night.
(b) Tulip bulbs.
(d) Daffodil bulbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
2. How did Ruth feel when Jesus did not really make an appearance?
3. Ruth recalls how in school she began with what impression?
4. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
5. As a child, May would often tell her sisters she was going to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
2. What did May do after Willard's death?
3. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
4. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
5. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
6. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
7. What does Matt do after high school graduation?
8. What does Ruth recall about school?
9. What takes place between Ruth and Ruby?
10. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)