|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade. How did this affect Ruth?
(a) He skipped to a grade ahead of her.
(b) He joined her class.
(c) She was worried about him.
(d) She dreamed to be him.
2. Matt lives in a world that does not include who?
(c) May and Ruth.
(d) Anyone but himself.
3. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
(a) Because the military was never able to supply a body.
(b) Because the police could not find his body.
(c) Because Willard said he would never leave her.
(d) Because she could not accept that he was dead.
4. As they grew older and Matt's _____________ continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
(a) Lover for their mother.
(d) Ability to make friends.
5. Ruth relates the story of her mother's life as it was told to her by whom?
(a) Her counselor, Sharry.
(b) Her brother, Matt.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her Aunt Sid.
Short Answer Questions
1. May wore the same _________ from her sister's wedding to her husband's memorial service.
2. Due to the amount of teasing Ruth receives at school, what does she do?
3. When Elmer Grey began coming around, a widower with a farm of his own, May accepted his attentions and they were married when?
4. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
5. May learned the tragic news on what day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ruth think about these letters from Sid? Why?
2. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
3. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
4. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
5. Describe Honey Creek.
6. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
7. What is the one happy memory Ruth has of her family?
8. How does Ruth meet Ruby?
9. How did May come to spend a great deal of time with Willard Jenson?
10. What does Ruth recall about school?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)