|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ruth have to pay special attention in school?
(a) So she could pass tests.
(b) So she could read these letters.
(c) So she could earn a compliment.
(d) So she could be as smart as her brother.
2. Ruth realizes now that people in town must have felt how for her and her family?
3. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
4. How many happy memories does Ruth have of her family?
(b) A few.
5. Matt is Ruth's younger brother. He always did everything ____________ she did.
(a) Faster and better than.
(b) Slower and worse than.
(c) Similar to how.
(d) The same as.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matt is a _____________ man by the time they reach high school.
2. What does Ruth discover about herself?
3. May is desperate to be what to Matt?
4. Ruth relates the story of her mother's life as it was told to her by whom?
5. Some of the books are non-fiction, but many of them are classic literature, such as Charles Dickens' Bleak House and Jane Austen's _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did May and Willard's marriage come to an end?
2. Why does Ruth believe the people in town must feel sorry for her and her family?
3. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
4. What happens between Randall and Ruth? What happens at about the same time?
5. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
6. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
7. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
8. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
9. What story does Ruth tell about going to a dance?
10. What does Ruth do after high school?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)