|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
2. One of May's brothers was deaf and moved to a deaf school when he was _________.
(a) Only four.
(b) Only five.
(c) Only three.
(d) Only six.
3. _________ years later Ruth was born and Matthew the following year.
4. Ruth remembers her first meeting with who?
(a) Her neighbor Sid.
(b) Her Aunt Sid.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her cousin Sid.
5. Ruth recalls a time when May suggested Ruth go to what?
(a) A school dance.
(b) A concert.
(c) A movie.
(d) A party.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this affect Ruth?
2. Some of the books are non-fiction, but many of them are classic literature, such as Charles Dickens' Bleak House and Jane Austen's _______________.
3. Matt is a _____________ man by the time they reach high school.
4. What does May not buy Ruth?
5. Why is Ruth afraid to tell this story and May's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ruth's first meeting with Aunt Sid.
2. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
3. What did May do after Willard's death?
4. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
5. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
6. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
7. Why does Ruth begin working for Miss Finch?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. What is one memory Ruth has of her father?
10. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)