|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ruth afraid to tell this story and May's reaction?
(a) She is embarrassed and does not want anyone to know what she had done.
(b) She fears Aunt Sid will think her too stupid to be her pen pal.
(c) She fears Aunt Sid will be mad at her for this mistake.
(d) She fears Aunt Sid will laugh at her.
2. What does Artie proudly display in the store?
(a) The basketball trophy.
(b) The bowling trophy.
(c) The softball trophy.
(d) The tennis trophy.
3. Ruth does not have many memories of her father, but she can recall one afternoon when she helped a _______ deliver its baby how her father patted her on the head and told her she was a good farmer.
4. When May discovered Sid had given Ruth a musical jewelry box, what did she do?
(a) She asked Sid to say it was from her.
(b) She begged Sid to take it back.
(c) She quickly confiscated the gift.
(d) She yelled at Sid.
5. Some of the books are non-fiction, but many of them are classic literature, such as Charles Dickens' Bleak House and Jane Austen's _______________.
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Mansfield Park.
(d) Sense and Sensibility.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Randall, Dee Dee's son, do to Ruth?
2. Why did May always think Willard would come back to her?
3. May was the oldest of ________ children and therefore had the burden of the chores placed on her shoulders.
4. Ruth remembers the early letters Aunt Sid sent to her, filled with what stories?
5. After a while, Miss Finch becomes what to Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to a friendship between Ruth and Aunt Sid?
2. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
3. What is the one happy memory Ruth has of her family?
4. How did May come to spend a great deal of time with Willard Jenson?
5. Who is Dee Dee Foote? What does Dee Dee Foote bring out in May?
6. What story does Ruth tell about going to a dance?
7. What did May do after Willard's death?
8. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
9. What happens when Ruth is moved up to a normal English class?
10. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)