|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. May shows Ruth how to do what but stops abruptly when Matt walks in and sees them?
(c) Have a casual conversation.
2. Where does Matt go to school in the fall?
3. Ruth's father left when she was ______, just drove away and went to Texas to pick grapefruit and never returned.
4. Ruth takes a job where?
(a) At the Lucky Laundry.
(b) At the Trim 'N Tidy.
(c) At the Atlantis Super Wash Center.
(d) At the Suds On 8th Avenue.
5. Ruth is hired to do what for Miss Finch?
(a) Cook for her.
(b) Set up books on tape.
(c) Organize her her books in braille.
(d) Read to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Daisy wants to be what in Hollywood or New York?
2. Ruth recalls a time when May suggested Ruth go to what?
3. May, either intentionally or unintentionally, does not notice what about Ruth?
4. Unfortunately Ruth lost out on the spelling bee. How did May treat her?
5. On payday, Ruth hands her check over to May except for______ dollars which she puts away in a piggy bank.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two stories Ruth tells to show how unpredictable her mother is?
2. What leads to Ruth torturing Matt?
3. What happens when Ruth is moved up to a normal English class?
4. Why is Ruth teased in school? How does she deal with this?
5. What does Ruth remember about a mistake she made cooking one night? Why is she afraid to tell Aunt Sid this story?
6. What does Ruth do after high school?
7. With what was May burdened? Why? How did she feel about this?
8. How does Artie get Ruth involved in an activity?
9. How did May and Willard's marriage come to an end?
10. How does Ruth's time at Miss Finch's affect her?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)