• Ruby begins her story by describing the town in which she grew up, a small town called Honey Creek, Illinois.
• Ruth's father left when she was ten; Ruth's mother often told her her father's leaving was her fault because of the fighting.
• Ruth only has one happy memory of her family.
• Matt is Ruth's younger brother, but he always did everything faster and better than she did.
• As they grew older and Matt's intelligence continued to shine, Ruth began to torture him.
• Ruth has few memories of her father and few memories of being praised.
• Ruth began school with the impression she was dumb which caused her to fail over and over again.
• Matt often shone in school, actually skipping a grade to join Ruth's class.
• Ruth's first meeting with her Aunt Sid was when Sid came to make amends with May over an argument.
This section contains 2,334 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)