|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside the paddock with the horse in Chapter 53?
2. What does Crowley write is just a game in Chapter 72?
3. In the end of Chapter 73, Crowley writes of the Infinite Snake _____.
4. The motto of the Master of the Temple only concerns members of the Angel and the Abyss and even then only those at or above the level of ______.
5. Crowley describes the ego as what coming from the mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who dies in "Sic Transeat"? How is this symbolic?
2. What does Crowley write of life and death in "Mulberry Tops"?
3. Describe Crowley's views of women, as noted in "The Dowser."
4. How does Crowley describe certainty and doubt in "Terrier Work"?
5. Discuss the ritual of the "Mass of the Phoenix."
6. Describe Crowley's equation of creation and destruction in "The Fool's Knot."
7. What does Crowley write of the Chinese octave in Chapter 44? What is his meaning?
8. What does Crowley write of THE GREAT WORK in "The Bull Baiting"?
9. How does Crowley view Laylah in relation to God in "The Praying Mantis"?
10. What does Crowley indicate about light in the ritual of "Twig?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. What symbols are used in this ritual and what are they representative of?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influences of Buddhist philosophy in Crowley's theology and the text. How do Crowley's definitions of "The Way" and "The Path" compare with those of Buddhism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Crowley's depiction of women in "The Book of Lies". How does the author contradict himself in his depictions of women? Describe the women who are illustrated in the text.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)