|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 48, Crowley writes, "the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the _____."
2. What does Crowley call for the death of all of in Chapter 61, which he attributes as a symbol for Christ?
3. What does Crowley say is Allah's number?
4. What does Crowley disgustedly refer to people as in Chapter 68?
5. What does Crowley assert is all that can be proven in Chapter 45?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crowley write of his love for Laylah in "The Drooping Sunflower"?
2. How does Crowley comfort himself in "Sodom-Apples"? What is his conclusion in this parable?
3. How does Crowley view Laylah in relation to God in "The Praying Mantis"?
4. Describe Crowley's views of women, as noted in "The Dowser."
5. What number is prominent in Chapter 54? What is this parable about?
6. How does Crowley describe certainty and doubt in "Terrier Work"?
7. What does Crowley write of logic in "Hashed Pheasant"?
8. What is the Wheel of Samsara? What other wheels does Crowley describe in "Wheel and -- Whoa!"?
9. What is Crowley alluding to within "The Duck-Billed Platypus" in describing the Rose?
10. Describe Crowley's Buddhist influences in "Buttons and Rosettes." How does his philosophy differ from Buddhist principles here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the chapters "The Oyster" and "Peaches." What subject and themes do these chapters share? How do they differ? What does Crowley express about the feminine in these chapters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the Qabbalah in "The Book of Lies". How does Crowley use Qabbalah in determining his chapter titles and numbers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Knights Templar and their association with the Free Masons. How does Crowley make this association, and do outside sources support his theory?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)