|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Crowley writes in his commentary that the travelers in the desert are the what?
2. Chapter 53 describes a man attempting to find water using what?
3. In his commentary, Crowley describes woman as being one of the what?
4. What does Crowley refer to as man's deepest state of mind?
5. Who lies upon the Infinite Snake in Hindu theology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What number is prominent in Chapter 54? What is this parable about?
2. Describe Crowley's equation of creation and destruction in "The Fool's Knot."
3. What is the Hindu parable of the Infinite Snake Ananta? Why does Crowley cite this story?
4. How does Crowley view Laylah in relation to God in "The Praying Mantis"?
5. What does Crowley write of life and death in "Mulberry Tops"?
6. What does Crowley write of logic in "Hashed Pheasant"?
7. What joke does Crowley make in the end of "Windmill Words"? What does this indicate?
8. What is the Wheel of Samsara? What other wheels does Crowley describe in "Wheel and -- Whoa!"?
9. What is the process for returning to infinite nothing, as described in Chapter 74?
10. What is Crowley's conclusion in "Phaeton" regarding the horse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of OUR LADY OF BABYLON in "The Book of Lies". Who is this an allusion to in the Holy Bible? Why does Crowley reference her here?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Knights Templar and their association with the Free Masons. How does Crowley make this association, and do outside sources support his theory?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influences of Buddhist philosophy in Crowley's theology and the text. How do Crowley's definitions of "The Way" and "The Path" compare with those of Buddhism?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)