|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is riding a camel in the beginning of Chapter 73?
2. Chapter 53 describes a man attempting to find water using what?
3. What does Crowley disgustedly refer to people as in Chapter 68?
4. At what time of day is the ritual from Chapter 62 performed?
5. The completion of what will be the destruction of all things?
Short Essay Questions
1. What number is prominent in Chapter 54? What is this parable about?
2. Who dies in "Sic Transeat"? How is this symbolic?
3. How does Crowley view Laylah in relation to God in "The Praying Mantis"?
4. What does Crowley write of the Chinese octave in Chapter 44? What is his meaning?
5. What is the process for returning to infinite nothing, as described in Chapter 74?
6. What metaphor does Crowley use for the mind in "Dust-Devils"? How may this be interpreted?
7. Describe Crowley's equation of creation and destruction in "The Fool's Knot."
8. Describe Crowley's views of women, as noted in "The Dowser."
9. What does Crowley write of THE GREAT WORK in "The Bull Baiting"?
10. What joke does Crowley make in the end of "Windmill Words"? What does this indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the Masters of the Temple? Where does Crowley discuss this group? How does numerology play into Crowley's descriptions of the Masters of the Temple?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of yoga and meditation within Crowley's teachings. What yogic positions does he describe in the text and why? What breathing and meditation techniques are cited?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of "The Book of Lies", Aleister Crowley. What are significant influences on Crowley's life? What education did he receive? What influences affected his theology?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)