|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crowley disgustedly refer to people as in Chapter 68?
2. The Sanhedrin referred to Chapter 70 were the supreme judicial authority of where?
3. What is formed by a red triangle and a blue triangle?
4. The motto of the Master of the Temple only concerns members of the Angel and the Abyss and even then only those at or above the level of ______.
5. Crowley writes that only the Wheel of the ____ explains cause and effect and shows man the Path.
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbols does Crowley use in "Plover's Eggs"? What do they represent?
2. Discuss the ritual of the "Mass of the Phoenix."
3. What metaphor does Crowley use for the mind in "Dust-Devils"? How may this be interpreted?
4. How does Crowley view Laylah in relation to God in "The Praying Mantis"?
5. What does Crowley write of the Chinese octave in Chapter 44? What is his meaning?
6. What does Crowley indicate about light in the ritual of "Twig?"
7. What is the Wheel of Samsara? What other wheels does Crowley describe in "Wheel and -- Whoa!"?
8. What does Crowley write of logic in "Hashed Pheasant"?
9. What is Crowley's conclusion in "Phaeton" regarding the horse?
10. What is Crowley alluding to within "The Duck-Billed Platypus" in describing the Rose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reference does Crowley make to Samson from the Holy Bible in the text? What is this in reference to? What is Crowley's message in this chapter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. What symbols are used in this ritual and what are they representative of?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the chapters "The Oyster" and "Peaches." What subject and themes do these chapters share? How do they differ? What does Crowley express about the feminine in these chapters?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)