|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 29, Crowley refers to making love when?
2. In Chapter 33, what is the name of the Christian military order in the Middle Ages?
3. What does Crowley suggest we seek to kill every day in Chapter 16?
4. Crowley explains that both dreams and consciousness are distortions of what?
5. How many Masters of the Temple are there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Masters of the Temple from Chapter 7. Who are these figures and what does Crowley write of them?
2. What is Crowley's position on disease in "The Mountaineer"?
3. What is the Gun-Barrel symbolic of?
4. What does Crowley write of the Venus de Milo in his commentary of the text? What does this imply?
5. What does Crowley write of Daath, the sephirot, and Tiphareth?
6. Describe Crowley's meaning in his analogy of dreams to consciousness in Chapter 30.
7. What does Crowley write of Horus in "The Cry of the Hawk"?
8. When does Crowley describe making love to Laylah in "The Southern Cross"? What is this symbolic of?
9. How does Chapter 27 relate to Chapter 15? What story does Crowley tell in "The Sorcerer"?
10. What is Crawley's message to the reader in "The Swan"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the figure of Laylah in "The Book of Lies". Who is this figure based on in real-life? What is her significance thematically in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the Masters of the Temple? Where does Crowley discuss this group? How does numerology play into Crowley's descriptions of the Masters of the Temple?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of "The Book of Lies", Aleister Crowley. What are significant influences on Crowley's life? What education did he receive? What influences affected his theology?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)