|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Crowley says that the goal of the book is to explain snow to residents of where?
2. The god Horus is a god of what ancient culture?
3. What is actually the ruler of the universe?
4. What is the Masculine referred to in Chapter 3?
5. Below the Holy Three in Chapter 10 are Chaos and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crowley describe IT as in Chapter 31?
2. Describe Crowley's meaning in his analogy of dreams to consciousness in Chapter 30.
3. What does Crowley write of Daath, the sephirot, and Tiphareth?
4. Where does Crowley associate disease in "Steeped Horsehair"? Where is man's potential?
5. What does Crowley write of The Abyss in "Windlestraws"?
6. In "Onion Peelings," what does Crowley assert about tragedy and comedy?
7. What does Crowley suggest man's relationship with God be in "The Blind Webster"?
8. What numerological statement does Crowley assert in "The Dragon-Flies"? What is his meaning with this number?
9. Describe Crowley's depiction of the structure of the universe in "The Glow Worm."
10. What is the Gun-Barrel symbolic of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of yoga and meditation within Crowley's teachings. What yogic positions does he describe in the text and why? What breathing and meditation techniques are cited?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Knights Templar and their association with the Free Masons. How does Crowley make this association, and do outside sources support his theory?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influences of Buddhist philosophy in Crowley's theology and the text. How do Crowley's definitions of "The Way" and "The Path" compare with those of Buddhism?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)