|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is inside the paddock with the horse in Chapter 53?
(a) A swan.
(b) A maiden.
(c) A snake.
(d) A toad.
2. In his commentary, Crowley describes woman as being one of the what?
(b) Masters of the Temple.
(c) Lower animals.
3. The travelers cross the universe amidst how many seas?
4. Chapter 64 is a conversation between Crowley and the angels Din and who?
5. Crowley describes the ego as what coming from the mind?
(a) Spring water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is riding a camel in the beginning of Chapter 73?
2. In Chapter 48, Crowley writes, "the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the _____."
3. Crowley asserts in Chapter 57 that the Rose is useless without what?
4. Who lies upon the Infinite Snake in Hindu theology?
5. What does Crowley write was an object of worship in most early cults?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Crowley's Buddhist influences in "Buttons and Rosettes." How does his philosophy differ from Buddhist principles here?
2. How does Crowley comfort himself in "Sodom-Apples"? What is his conclusion in this parable?
3. What is Crowley alluding to within "The Duck-Billed Platypus" in describing the Rose?
4. How does Crowley describe certainty and doubt in "Terrier Work"?
5. Describe Crowley's views of women, as noted in "The Dowser."
6. What symbols does Crowley use in "Plover's Eggs"? What do they represent?
7. How does Crowley view Laylah in relation to God in "The Praying Mantis"?
8. What is the Hindu parable of the Infinite Snake Ananta? Why does Crowley cite this story?
9. Discuss the ritual of the "Mass of the Phoenix."
10. Who dies in "Sic Transeat"? How is this symbolic?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)