|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the tour guide chastise Montgomery?
2. Who embarrasses Montgomery at the dinner party?
3. What is Montgomery's reasoning for killing his victim as he tells it to the police?
4. What do the papers say Montgomery lacks when he is read his charges?
5. What does Montgomery think the only thing that will make up for what he's done is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Charlie was a dear friend of Montgomery's parents and tells Montgomery of his mother when she was younger. Charlie says that many men adored Montgomery's mother and she was a loved by all except her husband. Why would Charlie tell Montgomery this?
2. After reading the version of the confession written by the police, Montgomery says "they have made a murderer out of him." What is the irony in this statement?
3. How is Montgomery's recurring dream of being falsely accused of murder an example of foreshadowing for the situation he finds himself in at the current time?
4. What is the most important thing to Montgomery while he is in jail and why?
5. When Montgomery's mother's will is read, Montgomery is shocked to find out he is disinherited. At first he thinks it's because of the most recent fight they had but later finds out his mother disinherited him years prior. Why did his mother do this?
6. Using your knowledge of Montgomery's history with women, why would he choose the "Portrait of the Woman with Gloves" rather than another?
7. What does Montgomery mean when he says that he can't say he didn't mean to kill her, only that he doesn't know precisely when he began to mean it?
8. Montgomery begins to get the feeling that Charlie is ignoring him. For what reasons would Charlie avoid Montgomery?
9. How is Montgomery foreshadowing his guilt by saying he had been "unknowingly leaving behind a trail of evidence rather than his troubles" as he leaves the village?
10. As he is leaving the scene of his crime, Montgomery realizes "that the fat, foul-mouthed, inner man has burst out." What he is talking about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family is a recurring topic in the novel. How does Montgomery feel about family? What are his feelings towards his parents, wife and son? Does Montgomery feel any remorse for the family of the girl he killed? Why does Montgomery feel this way towards the concept of family? How is this important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Joanne the stable hand is a very controversial character in the novel. What makes Joanne controversial? Why is her character important? How would the plot be different if her character was not involved?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is an effective tool used by the writer. Montgomery foreshadows his crime and punishment in several areas of the novel. What are some examples of foreshadowing in the novel? How is foreshadowing effectively used in the story?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)