|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in a crowded street as Anna is returning from taking her father to the hospital?
2. What does Montgomery feel it is necessary to tell the court that he is not?
3. How do people at the university feel about Montgomery?
4. What does Montgomery's mother do that annoys him?
5. What does Montgomery buy at the hardware shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Charlie French and Montgomery?
2. Do you think the fight between Montgomery and his mother was solely based on the selling of the paintings?
3. Montgomery describes his father and spends a lot time focusing on his mustache. Why does Montgomery do this?
4. What is the irony about Montgomery meeting his wife through Anna Behrens?
5. Mr. Behrens says the paintings he bought from Montgomery's mother were "not suited to be at Whitewater." How is this statement ironic to Montgomery's sense of reality?
6. Why does the author have Montgomery tell the part about walking in on Joanne naked?
7. Why does Montgomery feel the need to describe his mother as "statuesque"?
8. What would be Montgomery's reasoning for introducing his alter ego, Billy Bunter, to the jury?
9. Is Montgomery's mother's reasoning for selling the paintings understandable? Why or why not?
10. Why does the author switch back and forth from past to present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Montgomery is a character who acts spontaneously. Why are the spontaneous characteristics of Montgomery important to the plot? How would the novel be different if Montgomery planned his every move?
Essay Topic 2
A setting is an important part of a novel. Many times the setting sets the mood of the story. What is the setting of "The Book of Evidence"? How does the setting develop the mood of the novel? What is the mood of the novel? Why is the mood an important part of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Fate is a concept that is touched upon in the novel. What is Montgomery's fate at the end of the novel? What events lead him to his fate? Based on Montgomery's actions in the book, does he deserve his fate?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)