|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montgomery's mother do that annoys him?
2. How do his mother and the stable hand react when he asks about the missing items?
3. What gives Montgomery a feeling of grief as he stands in his mother's kitchen?
4. What is Charlie French's profession?
5. Montgomery goes looking for his mother to ask her about the missing items. Where does he find her and the stable hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasoning would Montgomery have for comparing Anna Behrens to a "lonely prisoner in her magic castle in need of rescuing"?
2. Why is Montgomery's recount of his mother's funeral ironic?
3. Montgomery has the feeling he is about to do something very bad. Why is this ironic?
4. Mr. Behrens says the paintings he bought from Montgomery's mother were "not suited to be at Whitewater." How is this statement ironic to Montgomery's sense of reality?
5. Why does the author have Montgomery tell the part about walking in on Joanne naked?
6. Why would it be in Montgomery's benefit to keep information on Randolph to blackmail him?
7. Do you think the fight between Montgomery and his mother was solely based on the selling of the paintings?
8. The stable hand, Joanne, is very kind to his mother. This makes Montgomery very uncomfortable. Why would Montgomery be uncomfortable with the stable hand's kindness?
9. Why does Montgomery tell his wife very little?
10. Montgomery says that words are a luxury. Considering his current situation, how is this an example of foreshadowing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A setting is an important part of a novel. Many times the setting sets the mood of the story. What is the setting of "The Book of Evidence"? How does the setting develop the mood of the novel? What is the mood of the novel? Why is the mood an important part of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses flashbacks to tell the story of Montgomery. Why does the author use this method of storytelling? Are the flashbacks effective in telling the story of Montgomery's crime? Why are they effective?
Essay Topic 3
Joanne the stable hand is a very controversial character in the novel. What makes Joanne controversial? Why is her character important? How would the plot be different if her character was not involved?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)