|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie realize about Montgomery as he gets ready to leave for work?
(a) That Montgomery is in love with him.
(b) That Montgomery plans on staying with him.
(c) That Montgomery is going to go with him to work.
(d) That Montgomery plans on leaving immediately.
2. As Montgomery reads the papers, what depresses him?
(a) The rendition of his crime.
(b) The description of himself.
(c) No one is looking for him.
(d) The bad news in the world.
3. What does Montgomery's counsel want to do?
(a) Hire another lawyer.
(b) Plead for insanity.
(d) Accept a plea bargain.
4. What do the papers say Montgomery lacks when he is read his charges?
5. What is Montgomery's reasoning for killing his victim as he tells it to the police?
(a) Because she deserved it.
(b) Because it was an accident.
(c) Because he could.
(d) Because he was only defending himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Montgomery use the check Charlie gives him for the loan?
2. As Montgomery waits at the empty train station, what is he thinking?
3. What is Montgomery afraid to do after he finds blood on his fingers?
4. How does Montgomery feel about the offers being made?
5. How does Montgomery feel about this situation with the stolen painting and a hostage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using your knowledge of Montgomery's history with women, why would he choose the "Portrait of the Woman with Gloves" rather than another?
2. According to Montgomery, he feels that now that he is no longer drinking alcohol he "has woken up to a hangover with a vengeance." What does Montgomery mean by saying this?
3. As Charlie cooks breakfast, Montgomery says he feels a "weepy regard" for Charlie. Why would he feel this way?
4. The lawyers on both sides of Montgomery's case want to plead the case out. Montgomery believes this is to protect Charlie French and Max Molyneaux and is against the idea. Why wouldn't Montgomery want to protect these two men?
5. Montgomery jokes around when he is arrested, but feels intimidated by being confined in possession of the police. What are Montgomery's values?
6. For what reasons would the drop of blood Montgomery discovers on his finger cause him to go into a paranoid state?
7. Montgomery begins to get the feeling that Charlie is ignoring him. For what reasons would Charlie avoid Montgomery?
8. It is no secret that Montgomery is angry at the world and feels he is owed something. How would killing this innocent person be revenge enough on the world for his alter ego Billy Bunter or Montgomery himself?
9. As the maid fights back at Montgomery after he shoves her in the car, he says he sees her as a "cornered heroine in a melodrama." Do you think this is an appropriate description of his victim?
10. After reading the version of the confession written by the police, Montgomery says "they have made a murderer out of him." What is the irony in this statement?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)