|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the taxi driver take Montgomery when he leaves Whitewater?
(a) To a local motel.
(b) To the airport.
(c) To Coolgrange.
(d) To a place where his mother has lodgers.
2. Why does Montgomery describe his mother with caution?
(a) He knows psychologists will be in the courtroom.
(b) He doesn't exactly know how to describe her.
(c) He doesn't want to offend her.
(d) He knows she is sensitive.
3. What is the name of Montgomery's mother?
(b) Dorothy or Dolly.
(c) Margaret or Maggie.
4. Where does Montgomery attend school and meet his wife?
(b) South America.
5. What does Montgomery's mother do that annoys him?
(a) She pokes at his belly and says he gained weight.
(b) She tells him he's a drunk.
(c) She tells him he's a crook.
(d) She tells him she doesn't like his outfit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Montgomery insist he went to Whitewater to do?
2. Why are these missing items important to Montgomery?
3. What feeling does Montgomery have as he travels?
4. Why does Montgomery claim he chose his profession?
5. What room in Montgomery's family home now appears to be most lived in?
Short Essay Questions
1. When thinking about first meeting Daphne, Montgomery says "Anna was the priestess in a ritual giving Daphne, the sacrificial offering, to him." Why does he say this?
2. Why does the author have Montgomery tell the part about walking in on Joanne naked?
3. Is Montgomery's mother's reasoning for selling the paintings understandable? Why or why not?
4. A car bomb explodes while Anna Behrens is leaving the hospital with her father. What is the symbolism of the car bomb?
5. In the beginning of the novel, Montgomery makes a point to say he is not a homosexual. Why does he continue to make references to homosexuals, as when comparing his lawyer to a boy he believes was in love with him when he was a child?
6. Why does Montgomery tell his wife very little?
7. Do you think the fight between Montgomery and his mother was solely based on the selling of the paintings?
8. Why does Montgomery feel the need to describe his mother as "statuesque"?
9. Montgomery has the feeling he is about to do something very bad. Why is this ironic?
10. Why do you think the people who Randolph borrowed money from to give to Montgomery cut off Randolph's ear?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)