|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fantasy that Montgomery has about Charlie?
(a) That they get married.
(b) That Charlie buys him a new identity.
(c) That Charlie sweeps him away to a faraway place.
(d) That he is his servant and owes Charlie his life for saving him.
2. How does Montgomery view Charlie as he makes him breakfast?
(c) As very feminine.
(d) As very maternal.
3. Montgomery has spent the night drinking and has to hail a taxi. How does Montgomery act as he waits for his taxi?
(a) He kneels, holds his arms, and rocks.
(b) He yells at people as they walk by.
(c) He impatiently taps his foot.
(d) He has a cigarette.
4. As Montgomery reads the papers, what depresses him?
(a) The description of himself.
(b) The rendition of his crime.
(c) The bad news in the world.
(d) No one is looking for him.
5. Who does Charlie claim was fond of Montgomery's mother?
(a) Only Binkie Behrens.
(b) No one.
(c) Himself and Binkie Behrens.
(d) Only Montgomery's father.
6. Coming back to the present, Montgomery claims he knows a lot about something. What is it?
7. What does Montgomery says he was thinking about on his way to Whitewater?
(a) Nothing, he was just enjoying the ride.
(b) The crime he was about to commit.
(c) He couldn't wait to see Anna.
(d) That it was a beautiful day for a ride.
8. What does Montgomery do after tossing out his breakfast when Charlie leaves?
(a) He robs Charlie of everything and leaves.
(b) He cleans Charlie's house.
(c) He leaves and goes to a bar.
(d) He starts rummaging through Charlie's things.
9. What is Montgomery afraid to do after he finds blood on his fingers?
(a) To go home.
(b) To think about what he has done.
(c) To call Coolgrange.
(d) To go back to the United States.
10. What do the papers say Montgomery lacks when he is read his charges?
11. What does Montgomery's counsel want to do?
(a) Hire another lawyer.
(b) Plead for insanity.
(c) Accept a plea bargain.
12. What have the police done in their version of his confession?
(a) Make a murderer out of him.
(b) Make him look innocent.
(c) Pick out all his faults.
(d) Make him look like a crazy person.
13. What does Montgomery find when he breaks into Charlie's desk?
(a) Notes from his mother.
(b) Embarrassing pictures.
(c) Letters from his lover.
(d) Hundreds of dollars.
14. Montgomery is roaming around the town shopping and carefree. Why does Montgomery feel exhilarated as he wanders about town?
(a) No one knows what he has done.
(b) He has all new clothes.
(c) He is in love.
(d) He has gotten a new job.
15. Montgomery is speaking in the present day at court. He's already talked about one dream he has, but decides to share another he has a couple of times a year. What is the recurring dream that Montgomery tells the reader about this time?
(a) He finds a dead body and covers it up.
(b) He is put in jail for a crime he doesn't commit.
(c) He murders someone.
(d) He falls in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Montgomery think the days ahead will be his most exciting ever?
2. As Montgomery is speaking to the courts he claims his wife visited him in jail. Why did he become upset with his wife?
3. What does Montgomery comment about when reading the confession?
4. How does Montgomery feel about his situation after Charlie leaves for work?
5. How does Montgomery feel about this situation with the stolen painting and a hostage?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)