|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator suggest that intelligent, sensitive people should remain as uneducated as possible?
2. What does the narrator say he has inside him despite the appearance of being outwardly calm?
3. What does the person who enjoys being sick like about having fever?
4. What does the narrator say a person must do in order to truly love something?
5. Who hates to read the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator, how does one become a man of action? What role do men of action play in society and why?
2. Why does the narrator say mirrors are a negative invention?
3. Why does the narrator isolate himself, and how does it affect his sensitivity to worldly things?
4. What does the narrator like about being sick?
5. What are the narrator's conflicting views regarding God?
6. Who is Omar Khayyám, and how does he differ from the narrator?
7. According to the narrator, what is the only true form of pleasure that exists? Explain his reasoning.
8. What perception does the narrator believe readers will have of him after reading the book? Why is the anticipated perception not true, according to the narrator?
9. What does the narrator say about memories that never occurred?
10. Why doesn't the narrator believe that one person can truly love another?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define "theme" in literature and analyze and discuss one theme from The Book of Disquiet.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the scope of a work of nonfiction. What is the scope of The Book of Disquiet?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life of Fernando Pessoa. What contribution did he make to literature and how is that contribution relevant to The Book of Disquiet?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)