|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what kind of people own the world?
2. What does the narrator say is done not only to the body, but also to the soul?
3. Why is the narrator sad to see the office boy quit?
4. When does the narrator say life will start working in his favor?
5. What does the narrator say about the office boy's travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about tedium?
2. When does the narrator say wisdom begins?
3. What does the narrator like about being sick?
4. How does the narrator like to view Springtime?
5. Discuss the narrator's conflicting thoughts and statements about his wife.
6. Discuss the office boy's travels and the narrator's view of them.
7. What does a critic tell Soares about his physical appearance?
8. According to the narrator, how does one become a man of action? What role do men of action play in society and why?
9. What does the narrator say about intelligent and sensitive people? Since they can't be banned to an island, what should they do and why?
10. Discuss the disease with which the narrator claims to be afflicted. What does this disease attack? Who does the narrator say is more seriously affected by it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a simile? Discuss and analyze one example of a simile from The Book of Disquiet.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the scope of a work of nonfiction. What is the scope of The Book of Disquiet?
Essay Topic 3
What is didacticism? Explain whether or not the author uses this convention in The Book of Disquiet. Explain the subject of the didacticism.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)