|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say causes him to be even more sensitive to the things of the world?
2. In Section 463, what does the narrator say that Satan attempts to tempt Christ with?
3. What does the narrator say causes people to not have a firm reason for their own existence?
4. Where are the objects of nature located that the narrator discusses when he describes Spring?
5. What inventions does the narrator say are due to the evolution of man into a clothed creature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator isolate himself, and how does it affect his sensitivity to worldly things?
2. What does the narrator credit mirrors and wardrobes for doing?
3. What does a critic tell Soares about his physical appearance?
4. What is the gift of the common folk, according to the narrator?
5. What are the narrator's conflicting views regarding God?
6. What kinds of memories does the narrator have and why does he like to remember them?
7. Why doesn't the narrator believe that one person can truly love another?
8. Who is Omar Khayyám, and how does he differ from the narrator?
9. Why does the narrator dislike reading the newspaper?
10. What does the narrator like about being sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Omar Khayyam and what is his relevance to this book?
Essay Topic 2
What is a simile? Discuss and analyze one example of a simile from The Book of Disquiet.
Essay Topic 3
Define prose and poetry, and then compare the two.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)