|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people make the narrator feel physically sick?
2. What kind of feeling does the narrator say that tedium creates?
3. What does the narrator say causes people to not have a firm reason for their own existence?
4. In what language was the first edition of The Book of Disquiet first published?
5. Which play does the narrator say is terribly flawed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a critic tell Soares about his physical appearance?
2. What does the narrator say about memories that never occurred?
3. What are the narrator's conflicting views regarding God?
4. Define heteronym and who created the concept?
5. How does the narrator like to view Springtime?
6. What does the narrator credit mirrors and wardrobes for doing?
7. Why doesn't the narrator believe that one person can truly love another?
8. When does the narrator say wisdom begins?
9. According to the narrator, what is the only true form of pleasure that exists? Explain his reasoning.
10. Discuss the narrator's conflicting thoughts and statements about his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define symbolism. Discuss and analyze one example of symbolism from The Book of Disquiet.
Essay Topic 2
There are four common points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited, and third person omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in this book? Is this the most effective point of view for this story? Could this story have been told from a different point of view and still been in the same genre?
Essay Topic 3
Define autobiography and explain why this book is considered to be one.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)