|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say man is not intended to see without the help of nature only?
2. How does the office boy travel?
3. Who does the narrator say should be banned to an island?
4. Why does the narrator contend that a person cannot truly love another person?
5. Who hates to read the newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the narrator's thoughts on writing perfect literature? Which classic example does he analyze to make his point and what does he say about it?
2. Why are smells important to the narrator?
3. Why doesn't the narrator believe that one person can truly love another?
4. How does the narrator begin to view writing after the critic advises him about his physical appearance?
5. What are the narrator's conflicting views regarding God?
6. Discuss the office boy's travels and the narrator's view of them.
7. What does the narrator say about intelligent and sensitive people? Since they can't be banned to an island, what should they do and why?
8. Why does the narrator say he never puts forth much effort into various aspects of his life?
9. Who is Omar Khayyám, and how does he differ from the narrator?
10. How does the narrator like to view Springtime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define autobiography and explain why this book is considered to be one.
Essay Topic 2
Define "theme" in literature and analyze and discuss one theme from The Book of Disquiet.
Essay Topic 3
A main character in a work of fiction has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. In nonfiction, the main character is known as the subject. Soares is the subject of his own book. What are Soares good qualities? What are his bad qualities?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)