|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about the novels he reads makes the narrator cry?
2. What, according to the narrator, is better than any destination one could travel to see?
3. What does the narrator believe about breaking the laws of grammar?
4. What is the narrator doing any time he is not interacting with people?
5. What does the narrator fancy himself to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator's train trip take him? Why can't he recall any of the sights from his trip?
2. What, according to the narrator, is the best way to ignore life and why?
3. What does the narrator believe differentiates him from other people? Explain his reasoning.
4. How does the narrator compare love to clothing?
5. Explain the narrator's transformation from his day job to his writing.
6. What are the narrator's thoughts regarding travel?
7. Why does the narrator say he writes with scenic description interspersed in his writing?
8. Explain the narrator's comparison of his dreams and thoughts to a garden.
9. What is the narrator's opinion of collective thought?
10. Where does the narrator believe that dreams may exist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define "fact," "theory," and "opinion." Explain why it is important to differentiate among the terms when reading nonfiction. Relate each term to a specific example in The Book of Disquiet.
Essay Topic 2
Define "theme" in literature and analyze and discuss one theme from The Book of Disquiet.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Omar Khayyam and what is his relevance to this book?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)