|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lie does the narrator tell a clerk about his feelings about being alone?
(a) He is never alone.
(b) He is not allowed to be left alone.
(c) He doesn't like to be alone.
(d) He loves to be alone.
2. Which of the narrator's beliefs seems to change daily?
(a) Belief in his own writing skill.
(b) Belief in art.
(c) Belief in God.
(d) Belief in humanity.
3. Who, according to the narrator, does not realize the difference between the people of the middle class and those of other classes?
(c) Religious leaders.
(d) Business owners.
4. How old is the author of The Book of Disquiet when he dies?
5. Why is the narrator sad to see the office boy quit?
(a) He sees so much potential in the boy.
(b) He is jealous.
(c) He has developed a close relationship with the boy.
(d) He feels like he's losing a part of his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the manuscript for this book discovered?
2. Why does the narrator say he believes animals are not happy?
3. What does the narrator say is the only thing worth doing?
4. What is the name of the chapter in which the narrator seems to be declaring his love for some woman?
5. What does the narrator say allows poison to enter the human heart?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the narrator say wisdom begins?
2. Define heteronym and who created the concept?
3. According to the narrator, how does one become a man of action? What role do men of action play in society and why?
4. Discuss the office boy's travels and the narrator's view of them.
5. Why are women considered to be nothing more than decor by the narrator?
6. According to the narrator, how should intelligent men view God?
7. How does the narrator like to view Springtime?
8. Why does the narrator dislike reading the newspaper?
9. What are the narrator's thoughts on writing perfect literature? Which classic example does he analyze to make his point and what does he say about it?
10. What does the narrator say about intelligent and sensitive people? Since they can't be banned to an island, what should they do and why?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)