|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say he lacks sufficient money to be?
(a) A Godly man.
(b) A Christian.
(c) A real dreamer.
(d) An intellectual man.
2. What does the narrator say is the only true form of pleasure that exists?
3. What does the narrator say causes him to be even more sensitive to the things of the world?
(a) Trying to fit in with the common people.
(b) Trying to fit in with the intelligent people.
(c) Trying to break away from the intelligent people.
(d) Trying to break away from the world.
4. In Section 481, what is the location of comfort and familiarity that the narrator is experiencing?
(a) A barber shop.
(b) A retail store.
(c) A fruit stand.
(d) A vegetable market.
5. Why does the narrator's dreaming become painful?
(a) He's sleeping on a bad mattress.
(b) He is suffering from insomnia.
(c) The dreams seem so real to him.
(d) It is drug-induced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he would be happy to do without having to live?
2. When does the narrator begin to think of writing as unappealing?
3. In what genre does The Book of Disquiet best fit?
4. What lie does the narrator tell a clerk about his feelings about being alone?
5. When does the narrator say life will start working in his favor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about intelligent and sensitive people? Since they can't be banned to an island, what should they do and why?
2. What perception does the narrator believe readers will have of him after reading the book? Why is the anticipated perception not true, according to the narrator?
3. What does the narrator say about tedium?
4. Who is Omar Khayyám, and how does he differ from the narrator?
5. According to the narrator, what is the only true form of pleasure that exists? Explain his reasoning.
6. Of the five senses, which does the narrator say is the most important?
7. Why does the narrator dislike reading the newspaper?
8. What does the narrator say about animal happiness? What is is reasoning?
9. What are the narrator's conflicting views regarding God?
10. What is the gift of the common folk, according to the narrator?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)