|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a heteronym?
(a) A different persona of a writer.
(b) Both an antonym and a pseudonym.
(c) A term that refers to the sexuality of a writer.
(d) The opposite of an antonym.
2. What smell brings back memories of the narrator's childhood?
(a) Candy apples.
(b) Smoked ham.
(c) Cigarette smoke.
(d) Cotton Candy.
3. What ends the narrator's comfort and familiarity at the location he discusses in Section 481?
(a) Learning that one of the barber's died.
(b) Learning that the harvest season has ended.
(c) Learning about the stand being robbled.
(d) Learning that the store would be closing soon.
4. What does tedium seem to attack, according to the narrator?
5. In what year was The Book of Disquiet first published?
6. What does the narrator say he has inside him despite the appearance of being outwardly calm?
(a) Joy in his soul.
(b) Heaven and hell.
(c) A crushed spirit.
(d) Anger in his crushed soul.
7. How old is the author of The Book of Disquiet when he dies?
8. Who hates to read the newspaper?
(b) The narrator's mother.
(d) The office boy.
9. What kind of people make the narrator feel physically sick?
10. Who does the narrator believe is the only one who knows his heart?
(a) His father.
(d) His mother.
11. After pointing out a play that he describes as terribly flawed, how does the narrator say he would have felt to be the author of that play?
12. What does the narrator say causes him to be even more sensitive to the things of the world?
(a) Trying to break away from the intelligent people.
(b) Trying to break away from the world.
(c) Trying to fit in with the intelligent people.
(d) Trying to fit in with the common people.
13. What characteristic does the narrator hope his wife will have?
14. According to the narrator, what is developing when a person realizes their greatest area of anxiety is indeed insignificant?
15. How many sections does The Book of Disquiet have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author advise people to do if they feel they must disclose information about themselves to others?
2. What does the narrator say he believes readers might think he is at the end of the book?
3. Whose life is like a ball of tangled yarn?
4. The narrator says humans outwardly worship perfection. What does he say they do secretly?
5. Why will all writing be imperfect, according to the narrator?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)