|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jane do to try and appear crazy?
2. How does Katherine feel about Anne?
3. What does Katherine fear when Henry refuses to see her when he is sick?
4. How does Anne hope Henry will deal with Katherine when he ends their marriage?
5. Who believes Katherine will bring status to her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne fear when Henry comes for dinner at Richmond in August 1540?
2. What does Henry promise Katherine after finding out she is pregnant?
3. What action does Henry take against Katherine's brother and his lover, Lady Margaret Douglas?
4. What are Katherine's concerns about the people who will be questioned about her past?
5. What changes to the law are made to accommodate punishing Katherine and Jane?
6. What are the terms of the annulment of Henry and Anne's marriage?
7. What does Thomas Culpepper tell Katherine during their secret garden meeting?
8. What will Henry give Anne as part of their marriage settlement? Why does Anne find this amusing?
9. What does Katherine begin to question about Jane in October 1541?
10. What disappoints Katherine about her marriage ceremony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the tone of the novel. How does Gregory convey this tone? Does the tone change at any point in the novel? If so, what events prompt this change?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret Henry VIII. How does the real historical figure compare to Gregory's depiction of him? How does he treat his wives and the people at court? Was he well-loved by his subjects or was he feared by them? What is his role in the novel? What are some of his defining character traits?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel, Tudor England. What are some of the characteristics of this time period? How does this time period shape the novel? Is the novel an accurate portrayal of Tudor England?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)