|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets knocked off his horse first at the tournament?
2. What does the Duke want Jane to testify in June, 1540?
3. Where is the King's parliament?
4. Why is the alliance with Cleves no longer as crucial as of February, 1540?
5. What is Jane's first impression of Anne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anne tell Jane that is rather surprising on the 3rd of January, 1540?
2. Who is Catherine Carey and why does Jane dread meeting her?
3. What information does a special ambassador bring to Anne in March, 1540? What information does he not bring?
4. According to the Duke, what kind of wife is Henry looking for?
5. What does Anne comment on in regard to her surroundings at Whitehall Palace?
6. How does Anne feel while at the tournament?
7. Why does Katherine's grandmother sometimes talk about Anne Boleyn with Katherine? What does Katherine herself remember about Anne Boleyn?
8. How does Henry's ill-fated marriage to Anne affect the advisers closest to him?
9. Describe Anne's relationships with her family.
10. How might the King be able to declare his marriage contract to Anne invalid, and how will this affect Cromwell who planned the marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the marriage between Katherine and Henry. Why does Henry decide to marry Katherine? Is their marriage a happy one? Why does their marriage end? What were Katherine's true feelings for the King? Is Katherine a victim?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of love and romance. How does Henry's love for Katherine affect the fate of Anne? How does Katherine's love for Thomas Culpepper affect her own fate?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the character Jane. What are her defining characteristics? Describe her background. What does Jane feel guilt over throughout the novel? Why does she help the Duke? How does this lead to her downfall?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)