|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news did Jack hear when he went below to listen to the weather report?
2. What was one important thing the Itchy lacked?
3. Why was the cargo brought onto Itchy stored on the deck rather than below?
4. Why had Claire come to the islands and aboard Mowat's boat?
5. Who did Mowat hire to watch Itchy for the winter months?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point did Mike Donovan leave the Itchy and why? How did he feel about separating from the boat and her crew?
2. Where did Mowat and McClelland decide to sail, instead of sailing the Atlantic? Why did they choose that destination?
3. What did McClelland learn when he called his office from Burin Cove? How did his plans change after the phone call? What promise did he make to Mowat after the call?
4. Who was Paulo? Where and how did Mowat meet him? What did he do for the Happy Adventure?
5. Who joined Mowat and Mike aboard the Itchy before they set sail? What was this person doing on the island, and from where did this person originally come?
6. Who decided how the Happy Adventure was to be painted after her overhaul at Paulo's harbor? What colors were chosen for the boat? Who oversaw the painting of the boat?
7. What plan did Mowat, Mike, Theo, and the others devise to redecorate the Itchy for her christening? Why did they come up with this plan?
8. Chapter 16 is titled "The Game Is Played." What was the game? Who played the game?
9. Why did Mowat finally give up his plan to sail the Atlantic?
10. What direction did the Happy Adventure insist on avoiding as Mowat sailed her for the years following the incident in St Pierre? What happened when he attempted to sail her in that direction? What became his cry as he realized the Happy Adventure had won the battle of directions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point in the story, the Happy Adventure lost her name and underwent a huge transformation. A christening was held for the boat in the town of St. Pierre. What caused these things to happen? Describe the circumstances, the people involved, and the event that was the climax of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Fog played a major role in the story Farley Mowat told about his adventures on the Happy Adventure. What two important kinds of fog were there in the story, and what role did each type play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Farley Mowat and Jack McClelland are two very different personality types. Compare and contrast the two men and use examples from the book to support your essay.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)