|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was alky and how was it distributed?
2. What was the new name given to the Happy Adventure?
3. When Mowat arrived in St Pierre, who did he find waiting for him.
4. For what port did Mowat and Mike take sail for their first travels together on the Happy Adventure?
5. What did the Moulton boys catch while fishing in the pond beyond the harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. On their way to St. Pierre, what sea creatures did Mowat and Donovan encounter? What large sea creature did the men think might capsize their boat? What was it, actually?
2. Who attended the private christening ceremony of the Happy Adventure? What happened at the ceremony that was of interest?
3. When did Mike Donovan arrive to stay on the Happy Adventure? What was unusual about what Mike brought with him on the trip? What did he contribute?
4. What was the Oregon? How did Theo help save the Oregon?
5. Why did Mowat leave his boat in St. Pierre? With whom did he leave the Itchy?
6. What direction did the Happy Adventure insist on avoiding as Mowat sailed her for the years following the incident in St Pierre? What happened when he attempted to sail her in that direction? What became his cry as he realized the Happy Adventure had won the battle of directions?
7. What was the Happy Adventure's new name after her christening? What did Mowat and Mike decide to call her for short? Why?
8. What plan did Mowat, Mike, Theo, and the others devise to redecorate the Itchy for her christening? Why did they come up with this plan?
9. Chapter 16 is titled "The Game Is Played." What was the game? Who played the game?
10. What surprise did Mowat and Mike find when they retired below the ship to sleep? Who had given the men this surprise, and what did Mowat do with the gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Other than McClelland, identify three main characters Mowat spent time with in Newfoundland. Describe characteristics of each, and how each were involved in the sailing of the Happy Adventure.
Essay Topic 2
Define personification, give examples of the device, and discuss how Farley Mowat used personification in his story.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the book titled "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float?" What did Mowat mean by this title? Discuss the different meanings the title has to the story.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)