|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the American capitalist Cyrus Eaton welcome to Pugwash every year?
2. What was considered one of the toughest woods in the world?
3. How far did Mowat get the first day of his journey back to Muddy Hole?
4. Who was Jennie Barnes?
5. What were the three rules of rum in Newfoundland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Wilbur, and how did Mowat meet him? What did he learn about Wilbur when the two finally arrived in St. John's?
2. Who was Mike Donovan? Why did Mowat contact him?
3. What did Mowat realize when he arrived in Muddy Hole to take over his boat? Why was Mowat upset and worried?
4. What was the Passion Flower? How did it get its name? Why was it important to Mowat?
5. What was the ritual Mowat performed called the Old Man in the Sea? Where did he learn this?
6. Whom did Mowat and McClelland select to be the captain of their boat? Why did they chose this individual?
7. How much money did Mowat have to spend on a boat? What did he finally find in his price range, and where did he and Harold go to purchase the boat?
8. Where did the men go to find the tools and supplies they could not readily find in St John's? How did Mowat travel to this alternate shopping area?
9. Who was Enos? What agreement had he made with Mowat before the two men parted and Mowat returned to Toronto to get the Passion Flower?
10. After Mowat and McClelland's boat was repaired, what did Enos do? Why did everyone think this unusual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Farley Mowat and Jack McClelland are two very different personality types. Compare and contrast the two men and use examples from the book to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
What was the Passion Flower? Describe the Passion Flower in detail. Who did it belong to? Why was it important? What did it look like? What special meaning did it have to Mowat?
Essay Topic 3
Howard Morry appeared in Mowat's book as a story teller extraordinaire. Who was Howard Morry? How did Mowat meet him, and what were the important stories Morry told that directly affected life aboard the Happy Adventure?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)