|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters did Enos Coffin have?
2. What came special delivery to Mowat and Jack as they worked on their broken boat engine?
3. What are a ship's trials?
4. What is screech?
5. What was the original name for Mowat and Jack's boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Trespassey? What other name is Trespassey known by and why?
2. Why was Muddy Hole a huge adjustment for McClelland?
3. Why did the author have a fear of auctions? How did he find himself at an auction as the story opened?
4. Who was Wilbur, and how did Mowat meet him? What did he learn about Wilbur when the two finally arrived in St. John's?
5. What did the villagers bring the men to eat while they were living and working aboard the boat? What did Enos finally teach Mowat and McClelland to do with the abundance of food they were given?
6. Why did the crew working on the boat agree to McClelland's plan to streamline purchasing? What did McClelland learn about St. John's?
7. Why did Mowat travel to St Johns? Who was Harold Hardwood?
8. Who was Mike Donovan? Why did Mowat contact him?
9. Where did the men go to find the tools and supplies they could not readily find in St John's? How did Mowat travel to this alternate shopping area?
10. Who was Enos? What agreement had he made with Mowat before the two men parted and Mowat returned to Toronto to get the Passion Flower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Farley Mowat and Jack McClelland are two very different personality types. Compare and contrast the two men and use examples from the book to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Why is the book titled "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float?" What did Mowat mean by this title? Discuss the different meanings the title has to the story.
Essay Topic 3
This story is a memoir of Mowat's adventures aboard his boat, the Happy Adventure. In what ways does a memoir differ from an autobiography? Why is The Boat Who Wouldn't Float a memoir rather than an autobiography? What changes would the author need to make in his book for it to be an autobiography?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)