|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the boat maker think it would take to repair Mowat's boat?
2. How did Mowat describe the water leaking into his boat?
3. What was called the Country of the Masterless Men?
4. How many daughters did Enos Coffin have?
5. What did the American capitalist Cyrus Eaton welcome to Pugwash every year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author have a fear of auctions? How did he find himself at an auction as the story opened?
2. What did Mowat and McClelland name their boat? Why did they choose this name?
3. Why was Muddy Hole a huge adjustment for McClelland?
4. What was the Passion Flower? How did it get its name? Why was it important to Mowat?
5. Whom did Mowat and McClelland select to be the captain of their boat? Why did they chose this individual?
6. Who was Enos? What agreement had he made with Mowat before the two men parted and Mowat returned to Toronto to get the Passion Flower?
7. What did McClelland do to reorganize the repair plan for the boat? What was the first thing he decided to change?
8. Why did the crew working on the boat agree to McClelland's plan to streamline purchasing? What did McClelland learn about St. John's?
9. How did Mowat know Jack McClelland? What did the two men decide to do after meeting at a bar one night?
10. Who was Howard Morry? How did Mowat meet him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Mowat use both sarcasm and understatement as a form of humor? Give examples. What other kinds of humor did Mowat use in the telling of his story?
Essay Topic 2
Fog played a major role in the story Farley Mowat told about his adventures on the Happy Adventure. What two important kinds of fog were there in the story, and what role did each type play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Other than McClelland, identify three main characters Mowat spent time with in Newfoundland. Describe characteristics of each, and how each were involved in the sailing of the Happy Adventure.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)