|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Blanche?
(a) Mowat's cat.
(b) Paulo's dog.
(c) Theo's wife.
(d) Theo's dog.
2. In what vehicle did Mike Donovan arrive in Spoon Cove?
(a) A Volkswagen.
(b) A Buick convertible.
(c) A Cadillac.
(d) A jeep.
3. Where did Mowat and Claire leave Itchy for the winter?
(a) Cape Breton.
(c) Muddy Hole.
(d) St Pierre.
4. Where did Jack hid his rum bottles?
(a) Under a pile of rags in the engine room.
(b) In a chest in the corner of the engine room.
(c) Under a pile of clothes in his bunk.
(d) In the lazaret.
5. What cargo did Itchy take aboard in Miquelon?
(a) Rum, food, and bedding.
(b) Water, food, and medicine.
(c) Rum, wine, and brandy.
(d) Fresh fish, brandy, and gold.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did holy water fly around the cabin of the Happy Adventure during the baptism?
2. What was Izaro?
3. What was Mike Donovan's job on the mainland?
4. What did Mowat see had happened to the stern of the Itchy over the winter?
5. What was the new name given to the Happy Adventure?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Mike Donovan arrive to stay on the Happy Adventure? What was unusual about what Mike brought with him on the trip? What did he contribute?
2. How long did it take to repair the Itchy? From where did the money come to make the repairs? What new name did Mowat give the boat?
3. Where did Mowat and McClelland decide to sail, instead of sailing the Atlantic? Why did they choose that destination?
4. Who attended the private christening ceremony of the Happy Adventure? What happened at the ceremony that was of interest?
5. What plan did Mowat, Mike, Theo, and the others devise to redecorate the Itchy for her christening? Why did they come up with this plan?
6. Chapter 16 is titled "The Game Is Played." What was the game? Who played the game?
7. On their way to St. Pierre, what sea creatures did Mowat and Donovan encounter? What large sea creature did the men think might capsize their boat? What was it, actually?
8. Who joined Mowat and Mike aboard the Itchy before they set sail? What was this person doing on the island, and from where did this person originally come?
9. Why did Mowat finally give up his plan to sail the Atlantic?
10. What direction did the Happy Adventure insist on avoiding as Mowat sailed her for the years following the incident in St Pierre? What happened when he attempted to sail her in that direction? What became his cry as he realized the Happy Adventure had won the battle of directions?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)