|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the boat maker think it would take to repair Mowat's boat?
(a) Five months.
(b) Two months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six weeks.
2. What were the sails on Mowat's ship made of?
(a) 8 gauge canvas.
(b) 14 gauge canvas.
(c) Nylon and plastic cable.
(d) Nylon and rope.
3. What last thing did the old skipper do for Mowat and Jack before leaving the Harbor?
(a) Told them the story of the Harbor.
(b) Taught them how to repair a sail.
(c) Taught them how to use a compass.
(d) Told them to leave the Harbor as soon as they could.
4. Who was Jennie Barnes?
(a) The new captain of the Happy Adventure.
(b) The ship that Mowat and Jack exchanged their ship for.
(c) The ship that joined the Happy Adventure in the government wharf.
(d) The woman who helped the Happy Adventure out to sea.
5. What was the original name for Mowat and Jack's boat?
(a) The Ever Ready.
(b) The Nancy Ann.
(c) The name was lost in the records of the ship.
(d) The Hallohans never gave the boat a name.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mowat describe the water leaking into his boat?
2. What kind of car did Jack rent in St John's to drive to Muddy Hole?
3. What was the Passion Flower?
4. What did Jack and Mowat decide to do with the bottles of open rum?
5. What happened to Morry's transcription of his memories of Ferryland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did McClelland do to reorganize the repair plan for the boat? What was the first thing he decided to change?
2. Whom did Mowat and McClelland select to be the captain of their boat? Why did they chose this individual?
3. How did Mowat finally purchase the boat? Who sold him the boat and under what circumstances?
4. Why did the author have a fear of auctions? How did he find himself at an auction as the story opened?
5. How did McClelland finally arrive at Muddy Hole? What happened when he arrived that surprised him?
6. Why did Mowat travel to St Johns? Who was Harold Hardwood?
7. Where did the men go to find the tools and supplies they could not readily find in St John's? How did Mowat travel to this alternate shopping area?
8. How much money did Mowat have to spend on a boat? What did he finally find in his price range, and where did he and Harold go to purchase the boat?
9. Who was Enos? What agreement had he made with Mowat before the two men parted and Mowat returned to Toronto to get the Passion Flower?
10. Where was Trespassey? What other name is Trespassey known by and why?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)