|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mowat's father buy at an auction when Mowat was a child?
(a) Antique furniture for their home.
(b) Bees and bee keeping equipment.
(c) A Quick Bake cast iron oven for their kitchen.
(d) A tractor and other farm equipment.
2. How long did the men work on the Happy Adventure in Trepassey?
(a) About a week.
(b) Just a few days.
(c) Over a month.
(d) Two weeks.
3. What was considered one of the toughest woods in the world?
(a) Newfoundland birch.
(b) Newfoundland black spruce.
(c) Newfoundland fir pine.
(d) Newfoundland yellow oak.
4. What are a ship's trials?
(a) The anchor.
(b) The problems that arrise during the sail.
(c) The first tentative voyage.
(d) The moorings.
5. What are fish flakes?
(a) Fish that has been cured.
(b) Racks for drying fish.
(c) Fish food.
(d) Scales from fish that fall to the ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mowat describe the water leaking into his boat?
2. How did the Happy Adventure leave harbor on her first voyage?
3. How old was Howard Morry?
4. What kind of plant pumped its waste into the water at the slip in which Mowat's boat rested?
5. Who is Jack McClelland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did McClelland finally arrive at Muddy Hole? What happened when he arrived that surprised him?
2. What was the ritual Mowat performed called the Old Man in the Sea? Where did he learn this?
3. Who was Enos? What agreement had he made with Mowat before the two men parted and Mowat returned to Toronto to get the Passion Flower?
4. What did McClelland do to reorganize the repair plan for the boat? What was the first thing he decided to change?
5. What else besides the necessary tools and supplies did McClelland bring back from the Southern Shore? How did he plan to use this purchase? What actually happened?
6. How did Mowat finally purchase the boat? Who sold him the boat and under what circumstances?
7. What did the villagers bring the men to eat while they were living and working aboard the boat? What did Enos finally teach Mowat and McClelland to do with the abundance of food they were given?
8. What was the Passion Flower? How did it get its name? Why was it important to Mowat?
9. Whom did Mowat and McClelland select to be the captain of their boat? Why did they chose this individual?
10. Who was Howard Morry? How did Mowat meet him?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)