|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days did it take Mowat to arrive in St. John's?
(a) Ten days.
(b) A week.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
2. What was called the Country of the Masterless Men?
(a) The northern mountains.
(b) The southern mointains.
(c) The interior of the peninsula.
(d) The center of the country.
3. Where did the Happy Adventure finally stop in Trepassey Harbor?
(a) On the steep rocks.
(b) At the local bar.
(c) Just outside of the main dock.
(d) Next to the fish plant.
4. What were the sails on Mowat's ship made of?
(a) 14 gauge canvas.
(b) 8 gauge canvas.
(c) Nylon and plastic cable.
(d) Nylon and rope.
5. What ship did Jack and Mowat name their boat after?
(a) The Halloran brother's ship.
(b) The Queen Mary.
(c) A toy ship Jack once had as a child.
(d) Peter Easton's ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Wilbur ask Mowat to drop him off in St. John's?
2. How far did Mowat get the first day of his journey back to Muddy Hole?
3. What was the major crop on the Southern Shore of Newfoundland?
4. What did Enos always do at times of stress?
5. What did Mowat say was missing from the peaceful harbor scene in Muddy Hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Trespassey? What other name is Trespassey known by and why?
2. What did Mowat and McClelland name their boat? Why did they choose this name?
3. Who was Mike Donovan? Why did Mowat contact him?
4. How much money did Mowat have to spend on a boat? What did he finally find in his price range, and where did he and Harold go to purchase the boat?
5. What happened to the Happy Adventure on its first voyage? What was unusual about the boat's departure form the harbor?
6. What did Mowat realize when he arrived in Muddy Hole to take over his boat? Why was Mowat upset and worried?
7. What did McClelland do to reorganize the repair plan for the boat? What was the first thing he decided to change?
8. What else besides the necessary tools and supplies did McClelland bring back from the Southern Shore? How did he plan to use this purchase? What actually happened?
9. Why did Mowat travel to St Johns? Who was Harold Hardwood?
10. How did Mowat know Jack McClelland? What did the two men decide to do after meeting at a bar one night?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)