|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Southern Shore bummer?
(a) The story about a ship wreck horwood told.
(b) The ship McClelland owned.
(c) The kind of ship Horwood found for Mowat.
(d) The name of the bar on the southern shore.
2. What was the Black Joke?
(a) An infamous trading ship running between China and London.
(b) An infamous pirate ship in the West Indies.
(c) An infamous steamliner running between Lisbon and Dover.
(d) An infamous slave ship running between Virginia and West Africa.
3. How did Mowat describe the water leaking into his boat?
(a) It came in through the bow of the boat.
(b) It came in up through the bottom of the boat.
(c) It came thorugh every pore of the boat.
(d) It came in through the hole on the sdie of the boat.
4. What was Cape Pine?
(a) A town just north of Muddy Hole.
(b) A bleak rock jutting out into the water.
(c) A bay filled with pine trees.
(d) A lodge on the northern shore.
5. What was the original name given to Ferryland?
Short Answer Questions
1. What colors were painted on Enos's house?
2. How long did the boat maker think it would take to repair Mowat's boat?
3. What did the American capitalist Cyrus Eaton welcome to Pugwash every year?
4. What had the Windsor family operated for generations?
5. What last thing did the old skipper do for Mowat and Jack before leaving the Harbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mowat know Jack McClelland? What did the two men decide to do after meeting at a bar one night?
2. Who was Wilbur, and how did Mowat meet him? What did he learn about Wilbur when the two finally arrived in St. John's?
3. What did McClelland do to reorganize the repair plan for the boat? What was the first thing he decided to change?
4. After Mowat and McClelland's boat was repaired, what did Enos do? Why did everyone think this unusual?
5. Where did the men go to find the tools and supplies they could not readily find in St John's? How did Mowat travel to this alternate shopping area?
6. How much money did Mowat have to spend on a boat? What did he finally find in his price range, and where did he and Harold go to purchase the boat?
7. Who was Howard Morry? How did Mowat meet him?
8. Why was Muddy Hole a huge adjustment for McClelland?
9. Why did Mowat travel to St Johns? Who was Harold Hardwood?
10. Why did the author have a fear of auctions? How did he find himself at an auction as the story opened?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)