|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What broke on the Happy Adventure as she continued to sail out into the ocean?
(a) The engine flooded and gave out.
(b) The exhaust stack separated from the engine.
(c) The mast broke off of the ship.
(d) The engine refused to restart.
2. What does barking do to the fish nets?
(a) Keeps them from being eaten by birds.
(b) Keeps them from being eaten by the larger fish.
(c) Keeps them from tangling under water.
(d) Keeps them from rotting when under water.
3. What did Mowat encounter while he was under water repairing the propeller?
(a) A shark.
(b) A puffin.
(c) A seal.
(d) A daulphin.
4. Why did Jack McClelland decide not to join Mowat for another season of sailing?
(a) He had taken ill over the winter.
(b) He was no longer interested in sailing.
(c) His family and friends forbade it.
(d) He was moving to Seattle.
5. What ship did Mowat dream he was sailing?
(a) The Queen Mary.
(b) The Queen Mary II.
(c) The Queen Elizabeth.
(d) The Queen Anne.
6. What did the Happy Adventure come within fifty yards of hitting in the fog?
(a) An oceanliner.
(b) A schooner.
(c) A fishing boat.
(d) A whale.
7. Who was Martin Dutin, and what was his job during the repainting of the Happy Adventure?
(a) He was the craftsman who rebuild the ship before painting.
(b) He was the ship's painter and the cook.
(c) He was Theo's son-in-law and the Chef de Protocol.
(d) He was the fisherman who came from Grand Bruit.
8. What did the people of Newfoundland refer to as "the game"?
(a) Permitting off-season hunting.
(b) Keeping drugs out of the country.
(c) The war against smuggling.
(d) The movement for game fishing.
9. When Mowat arrived in St Pierre, who did he find waiting for him.
(a) Ella and a few townspeople.
(c) Theo and Ella.
(d) No one.
10. For what port did Mowat and Mike take sail for their first travels together on the Happy Adventure?
(a) Spoon Cove, 30 miles away.
(b) St. Pierre, 50 miles away.
(c) St. John's, 100 miles away.
(d) Muddy Hole, 90 miles away.
11. What did Mowat say was the advantage of Mike being ignorant of the schooner and her history?
(a) He would get the boat to Montreal.
(b) It would be easy for him to repair the boat.
(c) He would not get in Mowat's way.
(d) He did not know to be nervous.
12. How far away from Trepassey Harbor was the Happy Adventure's new destination?
(a) About a hundred and twenty miles.
(b) About a week's sail.
(c) About seventy five miles.
(d) About twelve hours.
13. What happen to the Happy Adventure's supply of fresh water?
(a) Mike had forgotten to put the water on the boat.
(b) It leaked out into the ocean.
(c) Mike accidenally poured it overboard.
(d) A loose hose came free and dumped the water into the bilges.
14. What was one important thing the Itchy lacked?
(a) A water pump.
(b) Toilet facilties.
(c) A kitchen.
(d) A two way radio.
15. Why had Claire come to the islands and aboard Mowat's boat?
(a) To study shipbuilding.
(b) To study navigation.
(c) To study her French.
(d) To study Italian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Moulton boys catch while fishing in the pond beyond the harbor?
2. What was Izaro?
3. What was alky and how was it distributed?
4. How did Mowat unload the passengers he had taken for a test run of the Itchy?
5. Where did the crew decide to sail the boat after her christening?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)