|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when Mowat and Mike returned to the Happy Adventure after their celebration?
(a) They were robbed on the wharf.
(b) They forgot where they had left the boat.
(c) They could not find the boat.
(d) They fell into the water.
2. Where did Mowat and Claire leave Itchy for the winter?
(a) Muddy Hole.
(b) St Pierre.
(d) Cape Breton.
3. What was rotting beneath the floorboards of the cabin of the boat?
4. What is a dory?
(a) The small boat on the schooner.
(b) The rubber raft on board for emergencies.
(c) The cook stove.
(d) The anchor.
5. What was the St. Eugene?
(a) The rescue boat Mie sent out for the group.
(b) The ship that wrecked into the Oregon.
(c) The ship that picked up the ailing Oregon.
(d) The the ocean liner on its way to port.
6. What did Mowat see had happened to the stern of the Itchy over the winter?
(a) It appeared to be partially chewed off.
(b) It was painted bright yellow.
(c) It was totally missing from the ship.
(d) It was painted dark black.
7. What did Jack do at Burin Cove?
(a) Decided to abandon the adventure.
(b) Decided to buy a new engine.
(c) Decided to sell the ship and go home to Toronto.
(d) Decided to go back to Toronto temporarily.
8. When did Claire arrive in St Pierre?
(a) In early May.
(b) At the end of September.
(c) In later June.
(d) In the last week of July.
9. What kinds of things did Mowat have done to the Happy Adventure while they were in Spoon Cove?
(a) A total cleaning and a new bullgine.
(b) Fresh paint and new anchors.
(c) Fresh paint and fresh rations.
(d) A total cleaning both exterior and interior and fresh paint.
10. What did Mowat say was the advantage of Mike being ignorant of the schooner and her history?
(a) He would get the boat to Montreal.
(b) He did not know to be nervous.
(c) He would not get in Mowat's way.
(d) It would be easy for him to repair the boat.
11. What did the Moulton boys catch while fishing in the pond beyond the harbor?
(a) Speckled trout.
(b) Well-fed cod.
12. What broke on the Happy Adventure as she continued to sail out into the ocean?
(a) The exhaust stack separated from the engine.
(b) The engine flooded and gave out.
(c) The mast broke off of the ship.
(d) The engine refused to restart.
13. Where did all the men go to celebrate the successful launching of the Happy Adventure?
(a) To Theo's house.
(b) To the Cafe L'Escal.
(c) To St. Pierre.
(d) To the Diamant's deck.
14. How does a helmsman push the tiller to steer the boat?
(a) To the left to turn left.
(b) In the same direction he wants to go.
(c) In the opposite direction he wants to go.
(d) To the right to turn right.
15. For what port did Mowat and Mike take sail for their first travels together on the Happy Adventure?
(a) St. John's, 100 miles away.
(b) Spoon Cove, 30 miles away.
(c) Muddy Hole, 90 miles away.
(d) St. Pierre, 50 miles away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the three men Mowat left in charge of the Itchy do rather than tend to the boat?
2. What does barking do to the fish nets?
3. Who was Blanche?
4. Who stayed with the Itchy while Claire and Mowat took their excursion with Theo?
5. After casting about lost in fog and darkness, what did Mowat and Jack finally hear?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)