|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was considered bad luck at the start of a voyage?
(b) Jumping fish.
(c) Cloudy weather.
(d) Still waters.
2. What did Jack and Mowat decide to do with the bottles of open rum?
(a) Give it out to the men.
(b) Use it for cooking.
(c) Drink it themselves.
(d) Share it with other work sites.
3. What was considered one of the toughest woods in the world?
(a) Newfoundland black spruce.
(b) Newfoundland yellow oak.
(c) Newfoundland fir pine.
(d) Newfoundland birch.
4. What kind of fish did Morry and Mowat fish for early one morning?
5. What was the Black Joke?
(a) An infamous steamliner running between Lisbon and Dover.
(b) An infamous slave ship running between Virginia and West Africa.
(c) An infamous trading ship running between China and London.
(d) An infamous pirate ship in the West Indies.
6. Where did Mowat attend an auction as an adult?
(a) A small town near Lake Erie.
(b) A small town near Lake Superior.
(c) A small town near Lake Huron.
(d) A small town near Lake Ontario.
7. What did Enos always do at times of stress?
(a) Took out his teeth.
(b) Cursed the sea.
(c) Prayed aloud.
(d) Whistled a sailor's tune.
8. How long did the men work on the Happy Adventure in Trepassey?
(a) Just a few days.
(b) About a week.
(c) Over a month.
(d) Two weeks.
9. What color was the boat Mowat purchased from the Hallohans?
(b) A vile color green.
(c) A deep black.
(d) Blue and white.
10. How many daughters did Enos Coffin have?
11. What was the original name for Mowat and Jack's boat?
(a) The Hallohans never gave the boat a name.
(b) The Ever Ready.
(c) The Nancy Ann.
(d) The name was lost in the records of the ship.
12. What was the original name given to Ferryland?
13. How far did Mowat get the first day of his journey back to Muddy Hole?
(a) 550 miles to the St Lawrence River.
(b) 600 miles to Toronto.
(c) 500 miles to St. John's.
(d) 650 miles to outside Quebec City.
14. What are a ship's trials?
(a) The moorings.
(b) The problems that arrise during the sail.
(c) The anchor.
(d) The first tentative voyage.
15. How many days did it take Mowat to arrive in St. John's?
(a) A week.
(b) Five days.
(c) Three days.
(d) Ten days.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mowat find a boat maker in Muddy Hole?
2. What kind of car did Jack rent in St John's to drive to Muddy Hole?
3. What ship did Jack and Mowat name their boat after?
4. Who was the Man Who Gets Things Done?
5. Where did Wilbur ask Mowat to drop him off in St. John's?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)