|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What overtook the men and their ship before reaching Trepassey Harbor?
(b) A rain storm.
(d) The fog.
2. How did Jack, Mowat, and their friends christen the Happy Adventure?
(a) They hit the bow with a bottle of rum.
(b) They took her out in the bay and drank a toast.
(c) They went into town and bought drinks for everyone in the bar.
(d) They sat in her cabin and toasted their new boat.
3. What was the Passion Flower?
(a) McClelland's boat.
(b) Mowat's ten year old jeep wagon.
(c) Mowat's fifteen year old pickup truck.
(d) Horwood's ten year old pickup truck.
4. How many daughters did Enos Coffin have?
5. What was the William Carson?
(a) The ferry that sailed across the St Lawrence Seaway.
(b) The ship that was anchored next to Mowat's new boat.
(c) The ferry that went to Newfoundland from Cape Breton.
(d) The ship that sailed from Cape Breton to London.
6. What did Jack believe was the major problem the men faced in repairing the boat?
7. What was the Black Joke?
(a) An infamous trading ship running between China and London.
(b) An infamous steamliner running between Lisbon and Dover.
(c) An infamous pirate ship in the West Indies.
(d) An infamous slave ship running between Virginia and West Africa.
8. Where did the Happy Adventure finally stop in Trepassey Harbor?
(a) At the local bar.
(b) Just outside of the main dock.
(c) On the steep rocks.
(d) Next to the fish plant.
9. Who was Jennie Barnes?
(a) The ship that joined the Happy Adventure in the government wharf.
(b) The ship that Mowat and Jack exchanged their ship for.
(c) The woman who helped the Happy Adventure out to sea.
(d) The new captain of the Happy Adventure.
10. Who did Mowat credit as being a master improviser?
(b) Jack McClelland.
(c) Howard Morry.
(d) Enos Coffin.
11. What was the original name given to Ferryland?
12. What did Mowat say was "by guess and by God?"
(a) The boat's compassless navigation.
(b) The weather on their first sail.
(c) The boat's leaking bow.
(d) The boat's wooden structure.
13. What kind of car did Jack rent in St John's to drive to Muddy Hole?
(a) A red Hummer.
(b) A red covertible.
(c) A red jeep.
(d) A red Continental.
14. What color was the boat Mowat purchased from the Hallohans?
(a) Blue and white.
(c) A deep black.
(d) A vile color green.
15. What was considered bad luck at the start of a voyage?
(b) Still waters.
(c) Cloudy weather.
(d) Jumping fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are a ship's trials?
2. Where did Wilbur ask Mowat to drop him off in St. John's?
3. Who was the Man Who Gets Things Done?
4. How long did the boat maker think it would take to repair Mowat's boat?
5. What came special delivery to Mowat and Jack as they worked on their broken boat engine?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)