|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Black Joke?
(a) An infamous slave ship running between Virginia and West Africa.
(b) An infamous pirate ship in the West Indies.
(c) An infamous steamliner running between Lisbon and Dover.
(d) An infamous trading ship running between China and London.
2. What did Mowat refer to as the most salient quality of Newfoundlanders?
3. How long did the men work on the Happy Adventure in Trepassey?
(a) Over a month.
(b) About a week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Just a few days.
4. How old was Howard Morry?
(a) In his thirties.
(b) In his sixties.
(c) In his eighties.
(d) In his fifties.
5. What did Jack do for most of the Happy Adventure's first voyage?
(a) Poured rum for the two men.
(b) Tried to start the stubborn engine.
(c) Worked the sails.
(d) Pumped water out of the leaking boat.
6. Who was Peter Easton?
(a) A captain in the Royal Navy who led the fleet into battle in the Pacific.
(b) A captiain in the Royal Navy who became one of the most famous pirates of all time.
(c) A captain in the Royal Navy who fought the Britisih in the War of 1812.
(d) A captain in the Royal Navy who rose to the rank of General in WWII.
7. Where did the Happy Adventure finally stop in Trepassey Harbor?
(a) On the steep rocks.
(b) Just outside of the main dock.
(c) At the local bar.
(d) Next to the fish plant.
8. What was the major crop on the Southern Shore of Newfoundland?
9. What was called the Country of the Masterless Men?
(a) The interior of the peninsula.
(b) The southern mointains.
(c) The center of the country.
(d) The northern mountains.
10. Who did Mowat think was an excellent choice for the pilot of their ship?
11. How much did Mowat pay for the boat he bought outside of Muddy Hole?
(a) Less than five hundred dollars.
(b) Less than a thousand dollars.
(c) A thousand dollars.
(d) Less than two hundred dollars.
12. What had the Windsor family operated for generations?
(a) A bar and restaurant.
(b) A fish cannery.
(c) A motel and inn.
(d) A whaling factory.
13. What overtook the men and their ship before reaching Trepassey Harbor?
(c) The fog.
(d) A rain storm.
14. Where did Mowat attend an auction as an adult?
(a) A small town near Lake Superior.
(b) A small town near Lake Erie.
(c) A small town near Lake Huron.
(d) A small town near Lake Ontario.
15. What happened to Morry's transcription of his memories of Ferryland?
(a) He destroyed it after writing it.
(b) Morry lost the book when he moved.
(c) Children used it to start a bonfire.
(d) Someone stole the book from the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was considered one of the toughest woods in the world?
2. How long was the passage across Newfoundland?
3. What is screech?
4. What was the original name for Mowat and Jack's boat?
5. What was considered bad luck at the start of a voyage?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)