|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Pauline Williams’s family move after World War I for the mines and millwork?
2. Who is the gym teacher that Maureen describes as bow-legged in Part III?
3. Where does Maginot Line say Pecola has gone when Claudia and Frieda come looking for her in Part IV?
4. With what animal does Geraldine’s son torment Pecola in Part III?
5. Claudia says of the girls who come from places like Mobile and Aiken that they acquire skills in order to get rid of “the funkiness” of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Frieda, Claudia, and Maureen Peal encounter some schoolboys taunting Pecola in “Winter”?
2. How does the conflict between Maureen, Claudia, Frieda, and Pecola escalate in “Winter”?
3. “See the Cat…” begins with a discussion of what “types of girls”? Where are these individuals from?
4. How are Pauline Williams’s early years described in “See Mother…”?
5. What does Frieda say is the real reason she is crying when Claudia finds her in bed after Mr. Henry’s been kicked out in Part IV?
6. What leads to Claudia and Frieda buying snacks at Miss Bertha’s in Part III?
7. How is Cholly Breedlove’s childhood described in “See Father…”? Who raised Cholly?
8. How does the narrator distinguish the difference between “colored girls” and “black girls” in “See the Cat…”?
9. How is Geraldine’s family described in “See the Cat…”? Upon what does Geraldine focus her affection?
10. What are Pauline Breedlove’s feelings about motherhood, according to the narrator in “See Mother…”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the style, tone, and language used in the opening “Dick and Jane” story. How does the story change in each of the retellings? What is symbolic about the changes in the story’s language and style? Do you think the author intends for the reader to examine race as an undercurrent in the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Pecola in The Bluest Eye. Is Pecola the protagonist of the novel, or is the protagonist Claudia? Why do you believe this? How does Pecola’s character evolve from the beginning of the story to the end? How does her evolution affect Claudia and Frieda?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel and examine the different aspects of this time and place in history. What was the political atmosphere in America like in 1941? When did the U.S. enter WWII? How were race relations characterized at this time? How did race relations differ in the north and south in the U.S.?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)