|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did Geraldine’s son “long to play with the black boys,” according to the narrator in Part III?
2. What did Frieda’s father throw at Mr. Henry, knocking him off the porch, in Part IV?
3. What is Maureen Peal said to have “even bought and liked” in Part III?
4. The narrator says in Part IV, “But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word” of whom?
5. What is Geraldine’s son called in Part III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Cholly Breedlove’s childhood described in “See Father…”? Who raised Cholly?
2. How is Maureen Peal described when she is first introduced in “Winter”?
3. What happens when Frieda, Claudia, and Maureen Peal encounter some schoolboys taunting Pecola in “Winter”?
4. “See the Cat…” begins with a discussion of what “types of girls”? Where are these individuals from?
5. How does the conflict between Maureen, Claudia, Frieda, and Pecola escalate in “Winter”?
6. What leads to Claudia and Frieda buying snacks at Miss Bertha’s in Part III?
7. Why does Frieda tell Claudia has happened with Mr. Henry in the beginning of Part IV?
8. How does the narrator describe the blooming flowers and twigs in the opening of “Spring”?
9. To whom do Claudia and Frieda turn in order to obtain whiskey in “Spring”? Why?
10. How does the fresh cobbler come to be spilled in “Spring”? Who spills it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism presented in “Autumn” and discuss the different meanings of the symbols presented. What are symbols that represent the theme of “growing up” in the novel? How does Pecola’s first menstruation represent this theme metaphorically?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the author’s choice of character names in the novel. What do you think the significance is of names like “Breedlove,” “MacTeer,” and “Fisher,” among others? Do you think these names were chosen for a specific reason? If so, what reason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Claudia MacTeer as the narrator of much of the novel. How old is Claudia in the opening of the narrative? Do you like this character? Why or why not? How does Claudia change in the course of the story?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)