|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years of school did Pauline Williams attend?
2. Claudia says in Part III that she and Frieda always did their “Candy Dance” under the lilac bushes on the side of the house so that who would see and become jealous?
3. Where does Pecola say the prostitute Poland is going to take her to see the Loop in Part IV?
4. The narrator compares her father’s eyes to a “cliff of snow threatening to” what, in Part III?
5. Geraldine lives with her family next to the playground of what school, according to the narrator in Part III?
(a) Abraham Lincoln School.
(b) Washington Irving School.
(c) Benjamin Franklin School.
(d) George Washington Irving School.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had at one time been the idols of Geraldine’s son, according to the narrator in Part III?
2. Claudia says of the girls who come from places like Mobile and Aiken that they “hold their behind in for fear of a sway too” what, in Part III?
3. What is Geraldine’s son called in Part III?
4. In speaking of Cholly, Mrs. Breedlove says in Part IV, “I started to leave him once, but something came up. Once, after he tried to” do what?
5. When describing the girls who come from places like Mobile and Aiken, Claudia says in Part III that they go to what kind of colleges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Pauline Breedlove’s feelings about motherhood, according to the narrator in “See Mother…”?
2. How does the narrator distinguish the difference between “colored girls” and “black girls” in “See the Cat…”?
3. What does Frieda say is the real reason she is crying when Claudia finds her in bed after Mr. Henry’s been kicked out in Part IV?
4. Who do Claudia and Frieda encounter leaving their house when they return from Miss Bertha’s store in Part III?
5. What leads to Claudia and Frieda buying snacks at Miss Bertha’s in Part III?
6. How does the fresh cobbler come to be spilled in “Spring”? Who spills it?
7. How are Pauline Williams’s early years described in “See Mother…”?
8. What exchange takes place between Maginot Line and Claudia and Frieda in “Spring”?
9. What happens when Frieda, Claudia, and Maureen Peal encounter some schoolboys taunting Pecola in “Winter”?
10. What misunderstanding at the ice cream parlor contributes to the growing tension between Claudia and Maureen in “Winter”?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)