|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator compares her father’s eyes to a “cliff of snow threatening to” what, in Part III?
2. Which movie does Maureen say the name Pecola is from in Part III?
(a) Imitation of Life.
(c) East of Eden.
(d) Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.
3. The “competent midwife and decisive diagnostician” tells Aunt Jimmy to drink nothing but what when she is ill in Part IV?
(a) Pot liquor.
(c) Orange Juice.
4. How does Pecola’s mother describe Pecola when she was born in Part IV?
5. What neighbor told Mrs. MacTeer that Frieda should be taken to the doctor after the run-in with Mr. Henry in case she was “ruined” in Part IV?
(a) Claudia MacTeer.
(b) Mrs. Dunion.
(c) Maureen Peal.
(d) Essie Foster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maureen tells Claudia, Pecola and Frieda that her uncle sued which ice cream company in Part III?
2. According to the narrator in Part III, Geraldine did not allow her son to do what?
3. Where does Pecola say the prostitute Poland is going to take her to see the Loop in Part IV?
4. Where were Frieda’s parents when Mr. Henry “touched her” in Part IV?
5. Who came and said that Frieda’s father was going to jail, causing Frieda to punch her in Part IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Henry tell Claudia and Frieda about his unexpected guests in Part III? What do the girls do?
2. What are Pauline Breedlove’s feelings about motherhood, according to the narrator in “See Mother…”?
3. Who do Claudia and Frieda encounter leaving their house when they return from Miss Bertha’s store in Part III?
4. What are the perceptions of Claudia and Frieda as they wait to leave with Pecola from her mother’s workplace in “Spring”?
5. How does the narrator describe the blooming flowers and twigs in the opening of “Spring”?
6. How does the narrator describe her father’s face in the opening of “Winter”? What imagery is used?
7. Why does Frieda tell Claudia has happened with Mr. Henry in the beginning of Part IV?
8. Where do Frieda and Claudia go to find Pecola after their exchange with Maginot Line in “Spring”? How is this setting described?
9. “See the Cat…” begins with a discussion of what “types of girls”? Where are these individuals from?
10. How is Geraldine’s family described in “See the Cat…”? Upon what does Geraldine focus her affection?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)