|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In describing Pecola’s mother in Part IV, the narrator says, “Holding Cholly as a model of sin and failure, she bore him like a crown of thorns, and her children like” what?
(a) “A gown.”
(b) “A cross.”
(c) “An ark.”
(d) “A lamb.”
2. What does Mrs. MacTeer say “ate up” the prostitutes named China and Poland in Part IV?
(b) Quitting school.
(c) Going to church.
(d) Drinking whiskey.
3. What lake is near where Claudia and Frieda live in the novel?
(a) Lake Michigan.
(b) Lake Erie.
(c) Lake Huron.
(d) Lake Superior.
4. Claudia says of the girls who come from places like Mobile and Aiken that they acquire skills in order to get rid of “the funkiness” of what?
5. The narrator refers to her father in Part III as a “wolf killer turned” what?
(a) “Hawk fighter.”
(b) “Deer hunter.”
(c) “Trout slayer.”
(d) “Pika trapper.”
6. How does the narrator define “colored people” in Part III?
(a) “Neat and quiet.”
(b) “Loud and obnoxious.”
(c) “Quiet and dangerous.”
(d) “Sinful but pretty.”
7. According to Frieda in Part III, Mrs. Cain told her mother that Woodward did what?
(a) Wet the bed.
(c) Had seizures.
(d) Had violent outbursts.
8. When Frieda tells Claudia what happened with Mr. Henry, Mr. Henry is compared to what townsperson in Part IV?
(a) Miss Bertha.
(b) Soaphead Church.
(c) Mr. Breedlove.
(d) Mr. MacTeer.
9. Where does Maginot Line say Pecola has gone when Claudia and Frieda come looking for her in Part IV?
(a) Her mother’s workplace.
(b) Her father's workplace.
(c) Her grandparent's house.
(d) Her aunt's house.
10. Frieda slams her books on whose head when she and Claudia encounter schoolboys taunting Pecola in Part III?
(a) Bay Boy's.
(b) Woodrow Cain’s.
11. What were the names of Pauline Williams’s parents?
(a) Connie and Franklin Williams.
(b) Beth and Forrest Williams.
(c) Ada and Fowler Williams.
(d) Pauline and Frederick Williams.
12. What did Frieda’s father throw at Mr. Henry, knocking him off the porch, in Part IV?
(a) A tricycle.
(b) A chair.
(c) A glass bowl.
(d) An axe.
13. Claudia’s mother sings a song about trains where in the beginning of Part IV?
(c) New Mexico.
14. Where were Frieda’s parents when Mr. Henry “touched her” in Part IV?
(a) At church.
(c) At the library.
(d) Weeding the garden.
15. Geraldine lives with her family next to the playground of what school, according to the narrator in Part III?
(a) Benjamin Franklin School.
(b) George Washington Irving School.
(c) Abraham Lincoln School.
(d) Washington Irving School.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the prostitutes with Mr. Henry in Part III is described as “the one church women never allowed their eyes to rest on”?
2. Pauline Williams was one of how many children in her family?
3. Where did Cholly’s mother abandon him when he was four days old?
4. What nickname do Claudia and Frieda call Maureen Peal in Part III?
5. In what magazine does Claudia imagine the girls who come from places like Mobile and Aiken reading in Part III?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)