|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the narrator and her sister receive at the start of the school year in Part II?
(a) Plaid skirts and vitamins.
(b) Black shoes and books.
(c) White shirts and pencils.
(d) Brown stockings and cod liver oil.
2. The author states in the Foreword, “In trying to dramatize the devastation that even casual racial contempt can cause I chose a unique situation, not" what?
(a) “An imaginative one.”
(b) “A realistic one.”
(c) “A representative one.”
(d) “A classic one.”
3. Where is the abandoned store that is described in Part II as “on the southeast corner of Broadway and Thirty-fifth Street”?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Columbus, Ohio.
(c) Lorain, Ohio.
(d) Cleveland, Ohio.
4. The narrator says in Part I, “What is clear now is that of all of that hope, fear, lust, love, and grief, nothing remains but Pecola and” what?
(a) “The savage animals.”
(b) “The sands of time.”
(c) “The infinite sky.”
(d) “The unyielding earth.”
5. Near what local coal company does the narrator say she sometimes goes in the evenings with grown-ups to fill burlap sacks with coal in Part II?
(a) Howard’s Coal Company.
(b) Johnson's Coal Company.
(c) Murphy's Coal Company.
(d) Zick’s Coal Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator in Part II describes the adults as treating illness in children with what?
2. Mrs. MacTeer exclaims during her diatribe in Part II, “I got about as much business with another mouth to feed as a cat has with” what?
3. How old is Pecola when she lives by the pizza parlor in the narrator’s description in Part II?
4. What does the narrator say has become of Pecola’s father in Part I?
5. What does Toni Morrison refer to as the most “vulnerable member” of society in the novel’s Foreword?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)