|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the author say in the Foreword that she began the “story” that would eventually lead to The Bluest Eye?
2. What does Toni Morrison refer to as the most “vulnerable member” of society in the novel’s Foreword?
(b) A male.
(c) The elderly.
(d) A female.
3. What is Pecola’s father’s name, according to the narrator in Part I?
(a) Soaphead Church.
(b) Cholly Breedlove.
(c) Sammy Breedlove.
(d) Anderson Breedlove.
4. What does Pecola’s mother demand that Pecola’s father get out of bed and go get for her in their argument in Part II?
5. What does Claudia recall doing with her baby dolls as a child in Part II?
(a) Adoring them.
(b) Playing house with them.
(c) Dismembering them.
(d) Playing dress-up with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author writes in the novel's Foreword that when she began writing The Bluest Eye, she was interested in the "far more tragic and disabling consequences of accepting rejection as" what?
2. What actress does Claudia claim to like, causing her sister and Pecola to give her a puzzled look and consider her incomprehensible, in Part II?
3. In Part II, the narrator says that “drunken men with sober eyes sing in the lobby” of what hotel?
4. Who is the narrator of Part I?
5. The narrator says in Part II, “So when I think of autumn, I think of somebody with hands who does not want” what?
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)