|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toni Morrison refer to as the most “vulnerable member” of society in the novel’s Foreword?
(a) A male.
(b) A female.
(c) The elderly.
2. In what year does the author say in the Foreword that she began the “story” that would eventually lead to The Bluest Eye?
3. What pet does Jane first attempt to play with in the story from Part I?
(a) The cat.
(b) The hampster.
(c) The goldfish.
(d) The dog.
4. What color is Jane’s dress in the story from Part I?
5. What does Jane’s father do when Jane asks him to play in the story from Part I?
(a) He says he is too busy.
(b) He gets mad.
(c) He cries.
(d) He smiles.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in the Foreword, “In trying to dramatize the devastation that even casual racial contempt can cause I chose a unique situation, not" what?
2. Part I of the novel begins with a story about a girl named Jane and her brother, who is named what?
3. The narrator in Part I says that for years she believed the reason the marigolds didn’t bloom was because she had done what?
4. In the second narrative of the Jane story in Part I, what is missing?
5. The author describes "seeing oneself preserved in the amber of" what, in the novel's Foreword?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)