|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Pantaleon and Carriscant make when they partner?
(a) Brilliant medical team.
(b) Formidable criminal defense team.
(c) Voting bloc in the hospital.
(d) Bulwark against Cruz.
2. What does Carriscant have when he returns to Manila?
(a) A wife and a child.
(b) A degree in law from Harvard.
(c) A degree in philosophy from Oxford.
(d) A then-modern understanding of surgery.
3. For how long does Carriscant say he was married to Annaliese?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 1 year.
4. Who was the actual buyer of Kay's house?
(a) A mobster.
(b) A famous jockey.
(c) An elderly actress.
(d) Eric Meyersen.
5. What does Kay conclude about the lack of her mother's reaction to Carriscant?
(a) Kay concludes she cannot know anything from it.
(b) Her mother knows him.
(c) Her mother does not know him.
(d) Her mother does not see Carriscant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip do in a grand gesture?
2. Where does Kay's mother say Kay was born?
3. What do Pantaleon and Carriscant do to a Chinese youth?
4. What does Kay oversee?
5. In what way does Cruz consider himself superior in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Coleman Brockway and how did he die?
2. What do Quiroga and Carriscant do for a Chinese boy?
3. Where does Carriscant visit in the chapter titled "The Nipa Barn"?
4. Why does Kay visit Philip and what happens and what does she think about her and Philip?
5. Why does Kay take her mother to an out-of-the-way restaurant?
6. What is Pantaleon building inside his barn?
7. How does Kay conduct her investigation of Carriscant?
8. What does Kay discover when she goes to her house just after selling it?
9. Who is Pantaleon Quiroga?
10. What does Salvador Carriscant say about his return to Manila in 1897?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)