|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Carriscant contrive to meet Delphine alone?
(a) Saying he needs to check her scar.
(b) Asking the nurse to bring his wife inside.
(c) Pretending to fall off the library ladder.
(d) Asking the nurse to get him some water for medication.
2. Why does Carriscant visit his wife's uncle?
(a) To ask the uncle's business advice.
(b) To tell the uncle that Carriscant is getting a divorce.
(c) To give the uncle a physical examination.
(d) To obtain an engine for Pantaleon.
3. Why does Kay dismiss Delphine's confession?
(a) Delphine could not have gotten the jump on a professional soldier.
(b) Kay believes Delphine.
(c) It is the delusions of a dying woman who would have liked to kill him.
(d) It does not fit with the story.
4. Who is giving the social event Carriscant attends?
(a) Governor Roosevelt.
(c) Governor Taft.
5. Of what does Pantaleon inform Carriscant?
(a) Pantaleon is moving to Europe.
(b) Carriscant is expected to pilot the plane.
(c) Pantaleon has found a co-pilot.
(d) Carriscant has to find another engine.
6. What does Pantaleon decide upon to push the aircraft?
(a) An American tank.
(b) A team of six horses.
(c) Six forward propellers.
(d) Two reverse propellers.
7. Why does Carriscant supposedly visit Paton Bobby?
(a) To ask about the murder investigation.
(b) To suggest arresting Cruz.
(c) To borrow money.
(d) To get a recommendation for a black marketeer.
8. What does Annaliese say she wants?
(a) To reconcile with Carriscant.
(b) An abortion.
(c) More spending money.
(d) A divorce.
9. Who backs Cruz when he calls Carriscant on the carpet/
(b) No one.
(c) His wife's uncle.
10. What does Bobby say about Carriscant regarding the two murders?
(a) He is a suspect.
(b) He botched one of the autopsies.
(c) That Carriscant could not have done the murders.
(d) Bobby thinks Carriscant knows who killed the men.
11. What does Carriscant note about Pantaleon's airplane?
(a) It is too heavy.
(b) It is off balance.
(c) Its design is very simple.
(d) It has graceful, strong, complex construction.
12. Why does Pantaleon want to buy on the black market?
(a) It is illegal to privately own certain securities.
(b) It is cheaper, even though he still has to pay taxes on it.
(c) He cannot find what he wants in the regular market.
(d) So his competitors will not know what he is building.
13. What does Carriscant watch Pantaleon do?
(a) Put down Cruz and leaves Cruz speechless.
(b) Taxi his plane.
(c) Use anesthesia to calm a patient.
(d) Take his plane three feet off thhe ground.
14. Why does Carriscant start a fire in Sieverance's shed?
(a) He does not start a fire in the shed; the groom started the fire by accident.
(b) To try to lure Sieverance into dying in the shed trying to save the animals.
(c) He does it accidentally when he overturns a lantern.
(d) To distract the household so he can speak to Delphine.
15. Who is Maximilian Braun?
(a) Another murder victim.
(b) A boxer.
(c) A judge.
(d) A Catholic priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Delphine admit on her deathbed?
2. Why do Carriscant and Pantaleon argue?
3. What does Cruz say about the procedure?
4. Why does Delphine reject Carriscant out of hand?
5. About what do Kay and Carriscant chat at the end of the story?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)