|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Salome use to tell the future?
2. How many months have passed since Tamaris was imprisoned?
3. Who believes Tamaris has gone crazy?
4. Tamaris wakes to find ___ in her cell.
5. Who had revelations about Acheron?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene between Amalric, Tarascus and Orastes.
2. Who is Akivasha?
3. What is the general product of Khauran? How has the kingdom changed regarding the lifestyle of the people?
4. How do people outside the prison learn that Tamaris is alive and in chains?
5. What is Constantius' plan for war? How will the plan benefit Tamaris?
6. Why has Salome visited Tamaris?
7. What happens after Conan arrives in Stygia?
8. What happens with the armies arrive?
9. What is Valerius' position at this time?
10. Who is Olgerd? Explain the scene between Conan and Olgerd.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Conan and Zenobia. Why does Zenobia help Conan? Why does Zenobia refuse to go with Conan when he leaves the palace? Will the pair ever meet again? What is the agenda of each?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the extensive use of black magic in the story. Why do you think Howard chose to make black magic so prominent in the book? What are the rules of the Black Seers, Khitans, and other black magicians? Do all of the black magicians work together or are they at odds? Do they ever have to confront each other? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of evil twins in the story. Do you think that Howard meant to have the women as two separate entities or is there a duality of personality involved? How do some of the other characters exhibit this duality? What does the concept of evil twins accomplish in the story? Explain.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)