|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is said to have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge?
2. Some people have come to believe that Tamaris is _____.
3. At this point, Conan is compared to a _____.
4. Whom will Conan join once he crosses the river?
5. Amalric and his people arrive at dawn at the mouth of the Valley of the ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Amalric? What are his intentions?
2. Explain the scene in which Salome visits Tamaris in her cell.
3. What does Salome see in her crystal ball?
4. What happens regarding the spell cast by Xaltotun?
5. Who is Salome?
6. What is Salome's opinion of Constantius' plan?
7. What happens with the armies arrive?
8. What is Constantius' plan for war? How will the plan benefit Tamaris?
9. What is Valerius' position at this time?
10. What is the situation regarding the Aquilonians? What is Amalric's opinion about Conan's army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the political and religious governments of Aquilonia, Khauran, and Stygia.
Essay Topic 2
There is a time lapse of seven months from the time Conan is abducted and crucified. During that time, Salome's rule over Khauran strengthens. Why do you think the author jumped forward by seven months? What else occurred during that time? Why was that time span used? What changes were made in that time period? Which changes were significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Howard's brilliant use of foreshadowing throughout the book. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing. Give details and the purpose of using the technique. How else could the reader learn about the important information? What other technique might have been used?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)