|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Conan bites which animal before it can attack him?
2. Where does Constantius' punishment take place?
3. Conan is named as a captain and a _____.
4. Conan finds the architecture of Stygia to be ______.
5. How many people have been killed since the institution of sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Astreas writes to Alcemides to explain the current state of the kingdom. What does Astreas say?
2. What is the general product of Khauran? How has the kingdom changed regarding the lifestyle of the people?
3. Who is Valerius? What is his opinion of what has happened to Tamaris?
4. Where does Conan go on the ship? Which mystical river is nearby?
5. Explain the scene in which Salome visits Tamaris in her cell.
6. What happens with the armies arrive?
7. Who is Amalric? What are his intentions?
8. Who is Salome?
9. What is Salome's opinion of Constantius' plan?
10. What happens to Salome after Tamaris is rescued?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Cimmerians and the Nemedians. Include religious beliefs and principles, geography, culture, political power, and wealth.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the extensive use of black magic in the story. Why do you think Howard chose to make black magic so prominent in the book? What are the rules of the Black Seers, Khitans, and other black magicians? Do all of the black magicians work together or are they at odds? Do they ever have to confront each other? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story or personal memoir that involves Conan in his future role as a king. How is Conan different this time? Will he still be a benevolent ruler? How will Conan interact with the other kingdoms? What will happen 10-20 years in the future?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)