|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the governor of Peshkhauri?
2. What is Kerim Shah's homeland?
3. Khemsa's sorcery is based on _____.
4. Conan is greeted by an acolyte of ____.
5. What is the destination of Zorathus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the conversation between Conan and Devi after her rescue.
2. What happens that causes a rumor about Conan's death?
3. Who is the main character in the story? What is his background?
4. What are Conan's plans now that Devi is gone? Who will assist Conan in his quest to rescue Devi?
5. Discuss the conversation between Conan and Trocero.
6. Who are the Black Seers? What does Conan say about the Mountain of Black Seers? What happens when Conan arrives?
7. What is Conan's mental state at this point? Who encourages Conan to continue his quest?
8. What happens after Valbroso is paralyzed?
9. Explain the ill health of the Bhunda Chand, the King of Vendhya. What occurs as the man is dying?
10. What is Khemsa's explanation of the King's untimely demise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of crucifixion in the story. Howard explains the brutality and the slow death that is caused by crucifixion. Conan is crucified first but is eventually saved by the four horsemen. Why do the horseman release and rescue Conan? Who crucifies Constantius? Is Constantius saved? What was the man's crime? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There is a time lapse of seven months from the time Conan is abducted and crucified. During that time, Salome's rule over Khauran strengthens. Why do you think the author jumped forward by seven months? What else occurred during that time? Why was that time span used? What changes were made in that time period? Which changes were significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Conan the barbarian is said to have unmatched strength. Why is that? What about Conan makes him different from the others? Which scenes in the book do not correspond with Conan's strength? Which scenes would not be entirely possible even if Conan is that strong? Who might be able to stand up to Conan? Can Conan's strength be enhanced or diminished? If so, how?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)