|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While observing from his hotel window, what makes Coverdale believe that a drawing-room on the first floor of the boardinghouse that is empty will not be empty for long?
2. Where did Hollingsworth wound Zenobia in Section 14, Chapter 27?
3. During the interview that Coverdale is attending, who jumps to the platform after the lady rises as a mysterious tremor shakes her veil?
4. After Priscilla is summoned, why does Coverdale realize there is no peril of her communicating to him any of Zenobia's designs?
5. After Priscilla is summoned to see Coverdale, he asks her when she will return to Blithedale; how does she respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Silas Foster think about Zenobia's disappearance?
2. What vision of Coverdale's does Hollingsworth mock?
3. Why is Coverdale worried about Priscilla in Section 10, Chapter 20?
4. What is one thing that Coverdale observes while looking out his hotel window?
5. Why does Hollingsworth and Coverdale's friendship end?
6. What is ironic about Coverdale encountering Hollingsworth at a village hall during an interview with the Veiled Lady?
7. What is ironic about Hollingsworth accidentally wounding Zenobia's corpse?
8. What message does Zenobia ask Coverdale to take to Hollingsworth after she leaves Blithedale?
9. What does Coverdale dream about in Section 9, Chapter 18 that torments him?
10. How does Zenobia treat Coverdale when he visits her at the boarding-house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many secrets and questions that surround the story of The Blithedale Romance. Study the theme of mystery in the novel, The Blithedale Romance. How is the theme of mystery prevalent even from the beginning of the novel? How is mystery a theme in The Blithedale Romance? What is so mysterious about Priscilla? How does the Veiled Lady add to the overall theme of mystery? Do the allusions in the story add to the theme of mystery?
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, The Blithedale Romance, the mystery and secrets surround the two women there, Zenobia and Priscilla, who are both in love with the same man. Examine the theme of love and the human heart in the novel, The Blithedale Romance. Where does love pertain to the novel? What does Coverdale learn about love? How can love drive us to do unimaginable things? What does love cause the characters in The Blithedale Romance to do?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Miles Coverdale, the main character and protagonist in The Blithedale Romance, goes through many changes throughout the novel. Analyze the character of Coverdale and examine the changes that he makes throughout the novel. What kind of person is Coverdale? Is Coverdale ambitious in his line of work? How does Coverdale interact with others? What is engaging about Coverdale?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)