|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coverdale notice about Priscilla's appearance after she is summoned?
2. What does Hollingsworth seem to have no regret for overthrowing in Section 8, Chapter 15?
3. Who comes to take Zenobia and Priscilla away from the boardinghouse at the end of Section 10, Chapter 20?
4. Twenty-five years earlier, why did Moodie flee to the New England metropolis?
5. Who looks at Coverdale scornfully from the boardinghouse window before lowering the curtain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Moodie's life different twenty-five years ago?
2. What is one thing that Coverdale observes while looking out his hotel window?
3. Why does Hollingsworth and Coverdale's friendship end?
4. How does Zenobia demonstrate her love and loyalty for Hollingsworth?
5. Why did Moodie change his name twenty-five years ago?
6. What does Coverdale observe Priscilla doing at the boardinghouse?
7. After Zenobia asks for Priscilla's forgiveness in Section 13, Chapter 25, what question does Zenobia ask her?
8. What is ironic about Hollingsworth accidentally wounding Zenobia's corpse?
9. What vision of Coverdale's does Hollingsworth mock?
10. What strange foreboding does Coverdale have after Zenobia leaves Blithedale, and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Section 7, Chapter 13, Zenobia tells a story about the Veiled Lady, entitled "The Silver Veil." The story has many correlations to those at Blithedale, and Zenobia even uses Priscilla as "inspiration" for her story. Analyze the story about the Veiled Lady, entitled "The Silver Veil." What is Zenobia's motive for telling this story? Why would Zenobia want to correlate Priscilla with the Veiled Lady? Who does Zenobia probably represent in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used throughout the novel, The Blithedale Romance. Study the use of symbolism in literature and analyze the symbolism used in The Blithedale Romance. What does symbolism add to a story? How important is the symbolism in The Blithedale Romance? What are the different types of symbols that are used?
Essay Topic 3
At Blithedale, the roles of men and women are clearly defined. Study the theme of gender roles, particularly the thoughts about women during this time period, as unfeminine behavior raised negative speculations about ladies. What are the men's roles at Blithedale? What are the women's roles at Blithedale? Are there any characters in the novel that try to change this roles or question them?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)