|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Priscilla and Hollingsworth leave in Section 13, Chapter 26, what does Coverdale tell Zenobia that he thinks Hollingsworth is?
2. Moodie reveals that Priscilla and Zenobia are both his daughters; who raised Zenobia?
3. Who comes to take Zenobia and Priscilla away from the boardinghouse at the end of Section 10, Chapter 20?
4. After Coverdale fails at trying to meet up with Zenobia and Priscilla in town, what does he long for?
5. After viewing Zenobia and Priscilla from his hotel window, who is Coverdale offended that Zenobia chose to learn her secrets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Coverdale dream about in Section 9, Chapter 18 that torments him?
2. What vision of Coverdale's does Hollingsworth mock?
3. After Zenobia asks for Priscilla's forgiveness in Section 13, Chapter 25, what question does Zenobia ask her?
4. What does Coverdale observe Priscilla doing at the boardinghouse?
5. How does Priscilla act after she lifts her veil in Section 12, Chapter 23?
6. What is ironic about Hollingsworth accidentally wounding Zenobia's corpse?
7. How does Zenobia demonstrate her love and loyalty for Hollingsworth?
8. How was Moodie's life different twenty-five years ago?
9. What are three of the creatures that Coverdale spies in the woods as he returns to Blithedale?
10. What does Silas Foster think about Zenobia's disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Miles Coverdale, the main character and protagonist in The Blithedale Romance, goes through many changes throughout the novel. Analyze the character of Coverdale and examine the changes that he makes throughout the novel. What kind of person is Coverdale? Is Coverdale ambitious in his line of work? How does Coverdale interact with others? What is engaging about Coverdale?
Essay Topic 2
The story of The Blithedale Romance can be enhanced by learning about the author of the book. Research the author, Nathaniel Hawthorne, comparing him to the character of Miles Coverdale. Where is he from? How did he get into writing? What other books has he written? Did The Blithedale Romance win any awards? What inspired Hawthorne to write the book?
Essay Topic 3
The style in which the author of The Blithedale Romance writes is very important to the overall story. Study Nathaniel Hawthorne's use of style in The Blithedale Romance and how it affects the overall story. What choices does Hawthorne use in his writing that shows his unique style? Does Hawthorne use tactical choices in grammar or word usage? How can sentence and paragraph length affect the overall story? What kind of imagery does Hawthorne use?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)