|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men lay Zenobia for the women to deal with?
2. In Section 14, Chapter 27, what does Coverdale share with Hollingsworth that he suspects Zenobia has done?
3. Moodie tells Coverdale how twenty-five years earlier he had a palatial home, a lovely wife and a beautiful daughter, but what was the only thing he was interested in?
4. Why is Coverdale anxious to speak with Hollingsworth in Section 14, Chapter 27?
5. What does Zenobia do after Hollingsworth and Priscilla walk off together in Section 13, Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Zenobia asks for Priscilla's forgiveness in Section 13, Chapter 25, what question does Zenobia ask her?
2. What are three of the creatures that Coverdale spies in the woods as he returns to Blithedale?
3. How was Moodie's life different twenty-five years ago?
4. How does Zenobia treat Coverdale when he visits her at the boarding-house?
5. What does Coverdale observe Priscilla doing at the boardinghouse?
6. What vision of Coverdale's does Hollingsworth mock?
7. What does Coverdale dream about in Section 9, Chapter 18 that torments him?
8. What is one thing that Coverdale observes while looking out his hotel window?
9. How does Zenobia's death parallel with many village maidens who have also been wronged by their first love?
10. What does Silas Foster think about Zenobia's disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the characters in The Blithedale Romance are filled with pride and some with shame. Explore the concepts of pride and shame in the novel and how those concepts pertain to the different characters. Which characters would be considered prideful? Which characters seem to be ashamed of something or hiding a secret? How do these themes set the tone for the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
Priscilla's character is surrounded by much mystery and questions. Analyze the character of Priscilla, examine her affect on the other characters, and compare her character to Zenobia. What is the connection between Priscilla and Zenobia? How did Priscilla come to Blithedale? What is an example from the text that demonstrates Priscilla's feelings for Hollingsworth?
Essay Topic 3
Hollingsworth is a very strong dominant character in The Blithedale Romance. Analyze the character of Hollingsworth, examine his affect on the other characters, and compare his character to Coverdale. Who is more passionate about Blithedale: Hollingsworth or Coverdale? How do the other characters in the novel feel about Hollingsworth? How does Hollingsworth affect Priscilla and Zenobia?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)