|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coverdale suspect that Priscilla purposefully arranged for Moodie to see?
2. After Mr. Foster awakens everyone at Blithedale, what does Hollingsworth begin his first day there with?
3. What is the name of Mrs. Foster's husband?
4. Where do Hollingsworth, Zenobia, Priscilla, and Coverdale often spend their Sundays?
5. What does Zenobia claim Priscilla to be after Mr. Coverdale tells her his suspicions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zenobia treat Priscilla, and what does she say to justify that behavior?
2. Who likes to spend their Sundays at a rock named Eliot's Pulpit?
3. How does Coverdale justify sitting down to dinner with people of a lower class?
4. What is Hollingsworth's reaction when Coverdale tells him that he does not know if he will ever be a philanthropist?
5. Why does Coverdale decide to never reveal what he overheard Zenobia and Westervelt talking about in Section 6, Chapter 12?
6. What does Coverdale learn about Priscilla from Hollingsworth?
7. What is the first contribution in the novel, The Blithedale Romance, that composes the theme of magic within the text?
8. What is the purpose of those gathered at Blithedale?
9. Why does Zenobia make Coverdale nervous?
10. What names does the group at Blithedale consider renaming the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Miles Coverdale, the main character and protagonist in The Blithedale Romance, goes through many changes throughout the novel. Analyze the character of Coverdale and examine the changes that he makes throughout the novel. What kind of person is Coverdale? Is Coverdale ambitious in his line of work? How does Coverdale interact with others? What is engaging about Coverdale?
Essay Topic 2
There are many secrets and questions that surround the story of The Blithedale Romance. Study the theme of mystery in the novel, The Blithedale Romance. How is the theme of mystery prevalent even from the beginning of the novel? How is mystery a theme in The Blithedale Romance? What is so mysterious about Priscilla? How does the Veiled Lady add to the overall theme of mystery? Do the allusions in the story add to the theme of mystery?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, The Blithedale Romance, the mystery and secrets surround the two women there, Zenobia and Priscilla, who are both in love with the same man. Examine the theme of love and the human heart in the novel, The Blithedale Romance. Where does love pertain to the novel? What does Coverdale learn about love? How can love drive us to do unimaginable things? What does love cause the characters in The Blithedale Romance to do?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)