|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Coverdale spend his first night at Blithedale?
2. What is the name of Mrs. Foster's husband?
3. What does Coverdale suspect that Priscilla purposefully arranged for Moodie to see?
4. In Section 3, Chapter 5, how does Mr. Foster say he will wake everyone at Blithedale at daybreak?
5. What does Coverdale find Zenobia and Priscilla doing in the barn, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What names does the group at Blithedale consider renaming the community?
2. How does the reader know that Moodie is somewhat connected to the Veiled Lady?
3. How does Zenobia compare Coverdale and Hollingsworth?
4. What is the purpose of those gathered at Blithedale?
5. How does Coverdale describe Zenobia in Section 1, Chapter 2?
6. What does Coverdale discern about Hollingsworth after studying him?
7. Who is the man that interrupts Coverdale during his meditative walk?
8. What does Coverdale learn about Priscilla from Hollingsworth?
9. How did Hollingsworth come to Priscilla's aid in Section 2, Chapter 4?
10. Mr. Coverdale notes the flower in Zenobia's hair; what does he compare her to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people at Blithedale all have come together for the joint purpose of living an Arcadian lifestyle; however, not everyone has the same views about life and how they want things to be run at Blithedale. Explore the theme of skepticism vs. faith in The Blithedale Romance. What is the definition of skepticism? Where in the novel has skepticism been shown? What is the definition of faith? Where in the novel has faith been shown?
Essay Topic 2
In The Blithedale Romance, a group of people go to Blithedale to join a group of intellectual upper class people who want to learn the art of husbandry and develop their own Arcadian society. Explore the experimental society in The Blithedale Romance , and examine the reasons for the different characters on joining the community. Why is Blithedale considered an experimental society? What does Arcadian mean? Are there any communities in today's societies that compare to Blithedale? What are the people of Blithedale interested in doing?
Essay Topic 3
Priscilla's character is surrounded by much mystery and questions. Analyze the character of Priscilla, examine her affect on the other characters, and compare her character to Zenobia. What is the connection between Priscilla and Zenobia? How did Priscilla come to Blithedale? What is an example from the text that demonstrates Priscilla's feelings for Hollingsworth?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)