|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Coverdale think that Priscilla deserves some poetry written about her?
2. What does Coverdale find Zenobia and Priscilla doing in the barn, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
3. What makes Mr. Coverdale think that Priscilla overheard his conversation with Zenobia in Section 3, Chapter 5?
4. Before his departure for Blithedale in Chapter 1, where is Mr. Coverdale returning to his apartment from?
5. Priscilla questions Hollingsworth about Zenobia's view of the injustice the world does to women; how does he respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who likes to spend their Sundays at a rock named Eliot's Pulpit?
2. What wise suggestion of Coverdale's does Priscilla reject in Section 5, Chapter 9?
3. What is the purpose of those gathered at Blithedale?
4. What does Coverdale discern about Hollingsworth after studying him?
5. How does Zenobia dramatically conclude her story in Section 7, Chapter 13?
6. How does Zenobia treat Priscilla, and what does she say to justify that behavior?
7. What is Hollingsworth's reaction when Coverdale tells him that he does not know if he will ever be a philanthropist?
8. Mr. Coverdale notes the flower in Zenobia's hair; what does he compare her to?
9. What story does Zenobia tell the group at Blithedale in Section 7, Chapter 13?
10. How does Hollingsworth respond when Zenobia rages against the inequalities between men and women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characterization is often listed as one of the fundamental elements of fiction. Examine the different types of characters in fiction and relate them to the characters in The Blithedale Romance. How important are the characters in The Blithedale Romance? How do even minor characters add to the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
The novel, The Blithedale Romance, is a mysterious, cold, and somewhat Gothic story. How does Nathaniel Hawthorne set the tone in The Blithedale Romance? How is this tone important for the overall mood of the story? What is the tone in The Blithedale Romance? Does this tone seem to go well with the story?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used throughout the novel, The Blithedale Romance. Study the use of symbolism in literature and analyze the symbolism used in The Blithedale Romance. What does symbolism add to a story? How important is the symbolism in The Blithedale Romance? What are the different types of symbols that are used?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)