|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 14, Chapter 27, what startles Hollingsworth about Coverdale's voice that makes him hurry to speak with him?
(a) The strangeness.
(b) The whispering.
(c) The sadness.
(d) The anger.
2. After viewing Zenobia and Priscilla from his hotel window, who is Coverdale offended that Zenobia chose to learn her secrets?
(c) Mr. Foster.
3. As the three people searching for Zenobia row out into the river, who comments about how Zenobia will laugh at them the next morning?
(d) Mr. Foster.
4. As Coverdale gets leaves for Blithedale, his first steps are joyful; however, as he gets closer, how does he feel?
(a) Sad, and he begins to cry.
(b) Like a nameless foreboding weighs upon him.
5. In Section 13, Chapter 25, Zenobia prevents Hollingsworth from leaving their meeting; how long ago does she say that she learned of the matter that is threatening to make her poor?
(a) Two days ago.
(b) A day ago.
(c) Four day ago.
(d) Three days ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 11, Chapter 21, it occurs to Coverdale to seek an interview with Moodie, so where does he go to look for him?
2. In Section 14, Chapter 27, what does Coverdale share with Hollingsworth that he suspects Zenobia has done?
3. Moodie tells Coverdale how twenty-five years earlier he had a palatial home, a lovely wife and a beautiful daughter, but what was the only thing he was interested in?
4. In Section 12, Chapter 23, how long does Coverdale wander restlessly, trying to avoid Hollingsworth, Priscilla and Zenobia?
5. What message does Zenobia tell Coverdale to take to Hollingsworth, in Section 13, Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Coverdale encountering Hollingsworth at a village hall during an interview with the Veiled Lady?
2. How was Moodie's life different twenty-five years ago?
3. How does Zenobia treat Coverdale when he visits her at the boarding-house?
4. How does Coverdale compare the setting of his hotel to the setting at Blithedale?
5. How does Zenobia's death parallel with many village maidens who have also been wronged by their first love?
6. What questions does Zenobia ask Hollingsworth at Eliot's Pulpit in Section 13, Chapter 25?
7. What is Westervelt's role at the interview with the Veiled Lady that Coverdale attends in Section 12, Chapter 23?
8. How does Coverdale find Moodie?
9. What does Coverdale dream about in Section 9, Chapter 18 that torments him?
10. What message does Zenobia ask Coverdale to take to Hollingsworth after she leaves Blithedale?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)