|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What message does Zenobia tell Coverdale to take to Hollingsworth, in Section 13, Chapter 26?
(a) That he is a wretch with a heart of ice.
(b) That he has murdered her and she will haunt him.
(c) That he will forever torment her.
(d) That she will always love him.
2. After fleeing his home to New England, Moodie took on a new name and home; who does he marry?
(a) A mean woman.
(b) A gentle maid.
(c) A meek seamstress.
(d) A kind cook.
3. Who looks at Coverdale scornfully from the boardinghouse window before lowering the curtain?
4. As Coverdale gets leaves for Blithedale, his first steps are joyful; however, as he gets closer, how does he feel?
(c) Sad, and he begins to cry.
(d) Like a nameless foreboding weighs upon him.
5. What does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that they should choose a spot for, in Section 8, Chapter 15?
(a) A church.
(b) A cemetery.
(c) A temple.
(d) A school.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the scene at the pulpit, Coverdale mentions to Hollingsworth that their toils will seem romantic to whom?
2. As Coverdale views the community of Blithedale from the woods, what does he see some strange creatures doing that makes him laugh out loud?
3. Out of the three people staying at the boardinghouse, which one notices Coverdale watching them from his hotel window?
4. How may days after the interview that Coverdale attended in Section 12, Chapter 23, does he set out for Blithedale?
5. What does Zenobia do after Hollingsworth and Priscilla walk off together in Section 13, Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three of the creatures that Coverdale spies in the woods as he returns to Blithedale?
2. What is one thing that Coverdale observes while looking out his hotel window?
3. Why did Moodie change his name twenty-five years ago?
4. What does Silas Foster think about Zenobia's disappearance?
5. How does Coverdale compare the setting of his hotel to the setting at Blithedale?
6. What vision of Coverdale's does Hollingsworth mock?
7. How was Moodie's life different twenty-five years ago?
8. Why is Coverdale worried about Priscilla in Section 10, Chapter 20?
9. How does Coverdale find Moodie?
10. What gets Moodie to reveal his past to Coverdale?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)