|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Coverdale fails at trying to meet up with Zenobia and Priscilla in town, what does he long for?
(a) A castastrophe.
(b) A chance meeting.
(c) To be back at Blithedale.
(d) A storm to bring them together.
2. What saddens Coverdale after he goes to the boardinghouse in Section 10, Chapter 19?
(a) Westervelt's cold manner.
(b) Priscilla's cold manner.
(c) Zenobia's cold manner.
(d) Hollingsworth's cold manner.
3. Who looks at Coverdale scornfully from the boardinghouse window before lowering the curtain?
4. Where did Hollingsworth wound Zenobia in Section 14, Chapter 27?
(a) Her breast, close by her heart.
(b) Her arm.
(c) Her hand.
(d) Her head.
5. Why does Coverdale realize it's absurd to torment himself with conjectures in Section 10, Chapter 19?
(a) Since his familiar realtionship allows him to call on Priscilla.
(b) Since his familiar realtionship allows him to call on Moodie.
(c) Since his familiar realtionship allows him to call on Hollingsworth.
(d) Since his familiar realtionship allows him to call on Zenobia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coverdale almost gives up in finding Moodie until he sees him behind a screen; what does he invite him to?
2. In Section 9, Chapter 18, what torments Coverdale at night in his hotel room?
3. Who refuses to join Hollingsworth in his scheme, though it is a great effort?
4. From his hotel window in town, what is Coverdale watching creep along the office rooftops that bewitches him?
5. How does Coverdale react when Hollingsworth wants to know if he will cooperate in his great scheme?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zenobia do after Hollingsworth and Priscilla walk off together, arm in arm, in Section 13, Chapter 25?
2. What are three of the creatures that Coverdale spies in the woods as he returns to Blithedale?
3. How does Zenobia treat Coverdale when he visits her at the boarding-house?
4. Why did Moodie change his name twenty-five years ago?
5. What is Westervelt's role at the interview with the Veiled Lady that Coverdale attends in Section 12, Chapter 23?
6. How does Coverdale compare the setting of his hotel to the setting at Blithedale?
7. How does Priscilla act after she lifts her veil in Section 12, Chapter 23?
8. How does Coverdale feel as he leaves Blithedale in Section 8, Chapter 16?
9. What questions does Zenobia ask Hollingsworth at Eliot's Pulpit in Section 13, Chapter 25?
10. How was Moodie's life different twenty-five years ago?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)