|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a lyceum hall where he is attending an interview, who does Coverdale see several rows in front of him?
2. Before Coverdale leaves Blithedale for a few weeks, what does he ask Priscilla?
(a) If she is a mind reader.
(b) If she is a prophetess.
(c) If she is troubled.
(d) If she is a sorceress.
3. To distract himself in his hotel room, Coverdale begins watching the boardinghouse again; who does he begin to watch?
(a) A young couple arguing.
(b) A little boy playing with his dog.
(c) A girl working on needlepoint.
(d) A maid cleaning the front porch.
4. Who hushes Coverdale and Hollingsworth from his window in Section 14, Chapter 27?
(b) Mr. Foster.
(c) Mrs. Foster.
5. In Section 14, Chapter 27, what startles Hollingsworth about Coverdale's voice that makes him hurry to speak with him?
(a) The strangeness.
(b) The sadness.
(c) The whispering.
(d) The anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Moodie's second wife after she gives birth to his second daughter?
2. Who summons Priscilla to see Coverdale at the boardinghouse?
3. Who does Hollingsworth tell that he must be with him or against him?
4. Who refuses to join Hollingsworth in his scheme, though it is a great effort?
5. Why is Coverdale anxious to speak with Hollingsworth in Section 14, Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Coverdale encountering Hollingsworth at a village hall during an interview with the Veiled Lady?
2. What is Westervelt's role at the interview with the Veiled Lady that Coverdale attends in Section 12, Chapter 23?
3. Why is Coverdale jealous of Westervelt?
4. How was Moodie's life different twenty-five years ago?
5. What gets Moodie to reveal his past to Coverdale?
6. What does Coverdale dream about in Section 9, Chapter 18 that torments him?
7. What questions does Zenobia ask Hollingsworth at Eliot's Pulpit in Section 13, Chapter 25?
8. How does Zenobia treat Coverdale when he visits her at the boarding-house?
9. Why is Coverdale worried about Priscilla in Section 10, Chapter 20?
10. What scheme does Hollingsworth ask Coverdale to join him in?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)