|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 8, Chapter 16, Coverdale announces that he is leaving Blithedale for a week or two; why?
(a) To visit family.
(b) For financial reasons.
(c) For his health.
(d) To barter goods from the farm.
2. What does Hollingsworth's pole strike at the bottom of the river while searching for Zenobia?
(a) Zenobia's boot.
(b) Zenobia's purse.
(c) Zenobia's shawl.
(d) Zenobia's body.
3. In a lyceum hall where he sees someone he knows several rows in front of him, who does Coverdale attend an interview of?
(a) The Blue Lady.
(b) The Red Lady.
(c) The White Lady.
(d) The Veiled Lady.
4. What does Hollingsworth seem to have no regret for overthrowing in Section 8, Chapter 15?
(a) Overthrowing the fair system of their new life because it does not suit him.
(b) His love of Priscilla for Zenobia.
(c) His own family.
(d) His love of Zenobia for Priscilla.
5. As Coverdale escapes the strange creatures in the woods, he comes upon the pulpit; who does he see there, besides Hollingsworth and Priscilla?
(c) Mr. Foster.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 14, Chapter 27, what startles Hollingsworth about Coverdale's voice that makes him hurry to speak with him?
2. After Priscilla is summoned to see Coverdale, he asks her when she will return to Blithedale; how does she respond?
3. After fleeing his home to New England, Moodie took on a new name and home; who does he marry?
4. Moodie reveals that Priscilla and Zenobia are both his daughters; who raised Zenobia?
5. In Section 9, Chapter 18, what torments Coverdale at night in his hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Coverdale jealous of Westervelt?
2. What is ironic about Coverdale encountering Hollingsworth at a village hall during an interview with the Veiled Lady?
3. How does Coverdale find Moodie?
4. What scheme does Hollingsworth ask Coverdale to join him in?
5. How does Zenobia treat Coverdale when he visits her at the boarding-house?
6. What gets Moodie to reveal his past to Coverdale?
7. How does Zenobia's death parallel with many village maidens who have also been wronged by their first love?
8. What are three of the creatures that Coverdale spies in the woods as he returns to Blithedale?
9. What message does Zenobia ask Coverdale to take to Hollingsworth after she leaves Blithedale?
10. Why did Moodie change his name twenty-five years ago?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)