|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Regarding the stranger who interrupts Coverdale's secluded time; who does he ask for an interview with?
(c) Mrs. Foster.
2. What is the name of Mrs. Foster's husband?
3. After the first group dinner at Blithedale, what does Mr. Foster do while everyone adjourns to the sitting room?
(a) Sits on the porch and smokes his pipe.
(b) Goes to bed.
(c) Cobbles an old pair of boots by the kitchen fire.
(d) Takes out the garbage.
4. What does Coverdale complain about his first day at Blithedale?
(a) His lack of sleep.
(b) The bad food.
(c) The thinly partitioned walls.
(d) The lack of comfort.
5. What does Mr. Coverdale claim that the parlor in the old farmhouse in Blithedale is comparable to?
(a) The beach.
(c) The Artic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coverdale suggest to Hollingsworth that he should be, in Section 3, Chapter 6?
2. In Section 6, Chapter 12, when Zenobia is asked why she does not fling Priscilla off, how does she reply?
3. How does Mr. Coverdale think the firelight from the hearth makes the men and women of Blithedale appear?
4. What is Coverdale convinced that Hollingsworth will gain Zenobia and Priscilla as, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
5. Coverdale believes he has done Hollingsworth a great wrong by prying into his character; why can't he help it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man who interrupts Coverdale's meditative walk in Section 6, Chapter 11 want?
2. How does Hollingsworth respond when Zenobia rages against the inequalities between men and women?
3. Who is the man that interrupts Coverdale during his meditative walk?
4. What does Coverdale learn about Priscilla from Hollingsworth?
5. How does Zenobia dramatically conclude her story in Section 7, Chapter 13?
6. What makes Coverdale think that Zenobia will not be Priscilla's friend for long?
7. What does the community surrounding Blithedale gossip about Hollingsworth and Zenobia?
8. How does Zenobia compare Coverdale and Hollingsworth?
9. How does Coverdale first feel about Hollingsworth compared to how he feels about him after his illness?
10. What is Hollingsworth's reaction when Coverdale tells him that he does not know if he will ever be a philanthropist?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)