|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While telling her legend, Zenobia asks Priscilla to stand in front of her so that she can be inspired by her what?
2. The neighbors of Blithedale gossip that Zenobia and Hollingsworth are lovers; where do they say they plan to erect their home?
(a) Near the mountainside.
(b) On a sloping hill where they frequently walk.
(c) In a beautiful meadow where they have picnics.
(d) By a nearby pond they like to visit.
3. What does Mr. Coverdale claim that the parlor in the old farmhouse in Blithedale is comparable to?
(b) The Artic.
(d) The beach.
4. Mr. Hollingsworth finally arrives and Blithedale and brings a young girl, Priscilla; how does she react when she sees Zenobia?
(a) She begins to cry.
(b) She drops to her knees and clasps Zenobia's hand.
(c) She begins to scream.
(d) She yells and runs away.
5. What does Coverdale suspect about Zenobia's countenance as he sees her interact with Priscilla in Section 5, Chapter 9?
(a) She is too cold and heartless.
(b) She appears as though she is deviously plotting.
(c) She seems to be acting too sweetly.
(d) She is truly being helpful.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 3, Chapter 5, how does Mr. Foster say he will wake everyone at Blithedale at daybreak?
2. What is Coverdale convinced that Hollingsworth will gain Zenobia and Priscilla as, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
3. What makes Mr. Coverdale think that Priscilla overheard his conversation with Zenobia in Section 3, Chapter 5?
4. What does Priscilla ask that Zenobia do for her?
5. How does Mr. Coverdale think the firelight from the hearth makes the men and women of Blithedale appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zenobia treat Priscilla, and what does she say to justify that behavior?
2. How does Coverdale describe Zenobia in Section 1, Chapter 2?
3. How can Coverdale tell that Zenobia is upset with Hollingsworth in Section 2, Chapter 3?
4. Why does Coverdale decide to never reveal what he overheard Zenobia and Westervelt talking about in Section 6, Chapter 12?
5. What makes Coverdale think that Zenobia will not be Priscilla's friend for long?
6. What is Hollingsworth's reaction when Coverdale tells him that he does not know if he will ever be a philanthropist?
7. What does the man who interrupts Coverdale's meditative walk in Section 6, Chapter 11 want?
8. How did Hollingsworth come to Priscilla's aid in Section 2, Chapter 4?
9. Why does Moodie leave Blithedale upset?
10. How does the reader know that Moodie is somewhat connected to the Veiled Lady?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)