|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Hollingsworth and Coverdale hoe together while the rest of the fraternity is situated in a distant corner of the farm?
2. What is Coverdale convinced that Hollingsworth will gain Zenobia and Priscilla as, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
(a) As followers.
(b) As girlfriends.
(c) As wives.
(d) As proselytes.
3. The night that all the newcomers arrive at Blithedale, what does Zenobia tell them all she will act as?
4. What are Mrs. Foster and her husband in charge of at Blithedale?
(a) They teach at the schoolhouse in Blithedale.
(b) They manage the farm and teach the upperclassmen the art of husbandry.
(c) They are in charge of feeding everyone at Blithedale.
(d) They manage the house and teach the women to cook.
5. Why is Zenobia upset with Mr. Hollingsworth in Section 2, Chapter 3?
(a) He ignores her.
(b) He ruins her dinner.
(c) He yells at her.
(d) He's late.
Short Answer Questions
1. What discomposes Priscilla after she delivers a letter to Coverdale, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
2. In Section 5, Chapter 9, what does Coverdale realize it's not mentally healthy to do?
3. Why does Coverdale think that Priscilla deserves some poetry written about her?
4. How does Coverdale spend his first night at Blithedale?
5. Whose conversation does Coverdale eavesdrop on in Section 6, Chapter 12 that he decides never to disclose to another mortal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hollingsworth respond when Zenobia rages against the inequalities between men and women?
2. What is the first contribution in the novel, The Blithedale Romance, that composes the theme of magic within the text?
3. What wise suggestion of Coverdale's does Priscilla reject in Section 5, Chapter 9?
4. Mr. Coverdale notes the flower in Zenobia's hair; what does he compare her to?
5. Who likes to spend their Sundays at a rock named Eliot's Pulpit?
6. How does Coverdale justify sitting down to dinner with people of a lower class?
7. Why does Zenobia make Coverdale nervous?
8. How does Hollingsworth and Coverdale's relationship begin to fall apart in Section 4, Chapter 8?
9. Who is the man that interrupts Coverdale during his meditative walk?
10. How does Coverdale describe Zenobia in Section 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)