|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Zenobia tells a story about the Veiled Lady; what is the story entitled?
(a) The Black Veil.
(b) The Silver Veil.
(c) The Blue Veil.
(d) The Red Veil.
2. After claiming that she is not positively ill-natured, why does Zenobia decide to be kind to Priscilla?
(a) Because she decides she really does like her.
(b) Because Coverdale and Hollingsworth seem so interested in the girl.
(c) Because she feels bad about her treatment of her.
(d) Because she wants everyone to forgive her.
3. What do Hollingsworth and Coverdale hoe together while the rest of the fraternity is situated in a distant corner of the farm?
4. In Section 3, Chapter 5, how does Mr. Foster say he will wake everyone at Blithedale at daybreak?
(a) He will come around to everyone's door and knock.
(b) He will ring the bells.
(c) He will fire his shotgun three times.
(d) He will sound the horn.
5. Who accosts Mr. Coverdale on his way back to his apartment in Section 1, Chapter 1?
(d) Mr. Moodie.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 6, Chapter 12, Coverdale watches Hollingsworth beckoning the others; what does he think Hollingsworth sees all of mankind as?
2. What does Coverdale think Hollingsworth is being reckless about?
3. The night that all the newcomers arrive at Blithedale, what does Zenobia tell them all she will act as?
4. What does Coverdale complain about his first day at Blithedale?
5. What is Coverdale convinced that Hollingsworth will gain Zenobia and Priscilla as, in Section 4, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coverdale first feel about Hollingsworth compared to how he feels about him after his illness?
2. How does the reader know that Moodie is somewhat connected to the Veiled Lady?
3. How does Coverdale describe Zenobia in Section 1, Chapter 2?
4. How does Hollingsworth and Coverdale's relationship begin to fall apart in Section 4, Chapter 8?
5. What is the first contribution in the novel, The Blithedale Romance, that composes the theme of magic within the text?
6. Mr. Coverdale notes the flower in Zenobia's hair; what does he compare her to?
7. Who is the man that interrupts Coverdale during his meditative walk?
8. What does the community surrounding Blithedale gossip about Hollingsworth and Zenobia?
9. Why does Moodie leave Blithedale upset?
10. How does Coverdale justify sitting down to dinner with people of a lower class?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)