|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After claiming that she is not positively ill-natured, why does Zenobia decide to be kind to Priscilla?
(a) Because Coverdale and Hollingsworth seem so interested in the girl.
(b) Because she feels bad about her treatment of her.
(c) Because she wants everyone to forgive her.
(d) Because she decides she really does like her.
2. What does Coverdale awake to outside his window after his first night at Blithedale?
(a) Giant pieces of hail.
(b) Broken tree limbs.
(c) Snow on the ground.
(d) Flowers blooming.
3. Where do Hollingsworth, Zenobia, Priscilla, and Coverdale often spend their Sundays?
(a) At a rock named Emmett's Pulpit.
(b) At a rock named Eli's Pulpit.
(c) At a rock named Eliot's Pulpit.
(d) At a rock named Ernest's Pulpit.
4. What does Coverdale suspect about Zenobia's countenance as he sees her interact with Priscilla in Section 5, Chapter 9?
(a) She is truly being helpful.
(b) She seems to be acting too sweetly.
(c) She is too cold and heartless.
(d) She appears as though she is deviously plotting.
5. After Mr. Foster awakens everyone at Blithedale, what does Hollingsworth begin his first day there with?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A hearty breakfast.
(c) A three mile run.
(d) A bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coverdale and Zenobia argue about women being happy in life; what does Zenobia say is the reason of woman's unhappiness?
2. Why is Zenobia upset with Mr. Hollingsworth in Section 2, Chapter 3?
3. What does Priscilla do when Coverdale tells her that she is fortunate that she has nothing dismal to remember?
4. What does Priscilla ask that Zenobia do for her?
5. Regarding the stranger who interrupts Coverdale's secluded time; who does he make an odd character sketch of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who likes to spend their Sundays at a rock named Eliot's Pulpit?
2. How can Coverdale tell that Zenobia is upset with Hollingsworth in Section 2, Chapter 3?
3. Why does Zenobia make Coverdale nervous?
4. What makes Coverdale think that Zenobia will not be Priscilla's friend for long?
5. What is Hollingsworth's reaction when Coverdale tells him that he does not know if he will ever be a philanthropist?
6. What wise suggestion of Coverdale's does Priscilla reject in Section 5, Chapter 9?
7. How does the reader know that Moodie is somewhat connected to the Veiled Lady?
8. Why does Moodie leave Blithedale upset?
9. How did Hollingsworth come to Priscilla's aid in Section 2, Chapter 4?
10. What is the first contribution in the novel, The Blithedale Romance, that composes the theme of magic within the text?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)